Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upload limit for iolbb

• 20-12-2003 1:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭

whats the upload limit for iolbb and what if i exceed it ?

Thank You

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

I mebbe wrong but upload and download is on the 8 gig cap you get with iolbb, if you exceed youll be charged

Shin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by shinzon
    I mebbe wrong but upload and download is on the 8 gig cap you get with iolbb, if you exceed youll be charged
    I've never yet seen a post from someone here claiming that they've been charged. (I've seen plenty of posts from people claiming to have gone over the cap).

All the providers "reserve the right" to charge you for going over the cap. It's largely meant as a deterrent, and it seems to work reasonably well in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Well, if you're feeling adventurous, you can exceed the cap by a larger and larger amount every month until they charge you.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Afaik download is capped alright, but upload is not.
    I've never heard of a ISP charging for uploads

But hay I could be wrong, don't quote me or anything :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

It is upload and download combined. Upload doesn't count for much usage. So far i have download 22 gigs and uploaded only 1.46, although I don't do much gaming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Cabaal
    Afaik download is capped alright, but upload is not.
    I've never heard of a ISP charging for uploads

But hay I could be wrong, don't quote me or anything :)

I'm pretty sure that the caps are as follows:

IOL: 8GB including uploads and downloads
    Eircom: 4GB download only
    UTV Clicksilver: 8GB download only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

right, thanks .
    so its combined then, i play with my friends online and sometimes use bit torrent, so my upload would be a bit higher than the next guy .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why not phone IOL and ask them, ok I know there cust service dept properly sucks for techy questions but surely there tech support dept can answer this question.

There hardly that stupid that they don't know there own limitations of there service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

There hardly that stupid that they don't know there own limitations of there service

From what i read on here, ud be surprised ;)

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    From what i read on here, ud be surprised ;)

True I suppose, I know what call centre work can be like and what some people who work in tech/cust service can be like
    Oh the fun... :rolleyes:

I guess I still had some hope for IOL BB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

its 8gb up or 8gb down not combined

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

Originally posted by tuxx
    its 8gb up or 8gb down not combined
    This is true, IOL themselves told me on the phone when I enquired.

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    I'm pretty sure that the caps are as follows:

IOL: 8GB including uploads and downloads

I'm pretty sure it's not, you are wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

By looking at my figures and at the warning timers(how long before I exced my limit) I'd say it's Up OR Down 8Gb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

the iol cap is 8G which includes uploads and downloads, whereas eircoms cap is download only

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

IOL is combined upload/download. Made a point of asking them. I've had BB since Thursday and so far have uploaded 1.3GB and download 1.0GB ==> 2.3GB of my 8GB allowance is gone. Just as well there's only a week left in December.

Originally posted by fatherdougalmag
    IOL is combined upload/download. Made a point of asking them. I've had BB since Thursday and so far have uploaded 1.3GB and download 1.0GB ==> 2.3GB of my 8GB allowance is gone. Just as well there's only a week left in December.

That is 100% bs. Read your contract again and you'll see it says 8gb download limit per month. Look at my screenshot of my usage in the attachment. If it was 8gb combined I would be over my limit by now. Yet it still says "You are likely to go over your limit in 2 days".

Thats what I have been saying aswell it's Up OR Down whichever you are closest to hitting 8Gb on.....should have though of taking a pic good work ^CwAzY^:p.

Where have you been ^CwAzY^? Thanks for finally putting an end to this argument. I've always thought it was combined, thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

Originally posted by ^CwAzY^
    That is 100% bs. Read your contract again and you'll see it says 8gb download limit per month. Look at my screenshot of my usage in the attachment. If it was 8gb combined I would be over my limit by now. Yet it still says "You are likely to go over your limit in 2 days".

Has that image been edited, apart from cropping?
    The downloaded text is in Verdana, not Times New Roman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Does anyone have a recent contract to hand? Might they have changed 'download' to 'data transfer'? They certainly seem to tip toe around it on the web site and that's why I mailed their sales people to explicitly ask them as no one here knew for sure.

But the usage snapshot you sent pretty much confirms how it works.

Thanks for clearing that one up!

Originally posted by raster

That could be the way the browser is set up - I get the same results its the one which is closer to the 8 Gb cap that will get the warning, so its Up OR Down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Originally posted by raster

Nah its not fake.. Thats the way the text is on my browser too..

Originally posted by ^CwAzY^
    I'm pretty sure it's not, you are wrong.

According to IOL's Contract it is 8GB including up and down, whether they put that into practice in reality is another thing.

From that pic it clearly shows it is download only or upload only. It doesn't matter how you interpret the contract as the contract doesn't moniter usage, the usage meter does. IOL are hardly going to charge you for going over a combined upload/download limit when the usage meter only warns of a download only, upload only limit.

Originally posted by Davey Devil
    From that pic it clearly shows it is download only or upload only. It doesn't matter how you interpret the contract as the contract doesn't moniter usage, the usage meter does. IOL are hardly going to charge you for going over a combined upload/download limit when the usage meter only warns of a download only, upload only limit.

I was just sayin' *stomps off*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

thanks guys.
    Does the usage update everyday ? because it seems to stay the same everytime i check.

With UTV, it's updated everytime you disconnect from the internet, I think it's the same with IOL, not sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

I wouldn't worrie too much about it Eircom haven't enforced it yet so download as much as you want, as for IOL not too sure.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

great news, 8gb up, 8gb down thank you iol

Advertisement