Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Food

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

really? arse! guess i'll stick with my hifi so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Dunnes are doing surround sound dvd etc I think its €150!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

I will check that out. Many thanks kind madam!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Well its in Dunnes in Dundalk so presume its everywhere! Its no big make! I havent' heard any reports about it though! Your welcome! I like being of help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

the most of the food in Lidl is fine

exceptions would have to include the steak, tinned beans and sliced cheese

big thumbs up for everthing else i have eaten from there and the dry cider :)
    i hear great things about their wine too but dont drink wine anyway

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

i buy my food in 2 shopping centres.1 normal and then in lidl.i get stuff like milk,fresh fruit, washing powders, beer, sweets,frozen foods in lidl.they are well priced.some of the food i wouldnt serve to a dog though.ive learned what is worth paying for and learned the food that is nice in lidl.took a while and a few mistakes though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

No, Aldi and Lidl are def. not the same.

First there were the Aldi Brothers startng their empire with one small shop. When they got really big, on of the big german retail companies (Tengelmann, which has several Supermarket Brands all over europe) created Lidl as a counterpart.

It is correct that the Albrecht Brothers had a fallout several years ago. They split the company into two. Into ALd North (Germany) and Aldi South (Germany). Each of them also got the rights for several aother countries. I think Ireland and UK belong to Aldi South, the US to Aldi North.

If you go in Germany into an Aldi in Hamburg and Munci, you will see slight differences, but nothing major. Aldi Norths Sign is Blue White, and ALdi South is Blue Red White. Mostly they have 100 % the same stuff from the same sources, only special offers are sometimes a week later in one of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

some differences in taste also comes from the fact that we r used to eating crap here that other countries woudnt put up with, for example if u buy a packet of sausages here the pork content is sumthing like 56% (sez so on the pack so theyre not even trying to hide it) whereas if u buy (proper) german sausages the pork content is up in the high 90's so this obviously is going to taste diff and because we're used to being fed crap it tastes good to us. I have german relatives and so get lots of different food brought over wen they visit us r vice versa ( ive noticed german people like to cart lots of useless crap back aand forward, but i do apreciate some of the food that i just cant get here) and ive fed the food to a couple of my es's as well as some friends and they have only liked bits and pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Yes, the reality is that german product standards are far higher than they are in Ireland - some people might not want to accept this but its the truth. Some of the product differences are accounted for by differing tastes. In the case of some really cheap items, they may not be the May West - but the price is the reason. Many other goods are household names in Germany ie. 'branded' goods - that are not marketed as such here but just sold via Lidl (aldi tend to be more inclined to do non branded goods).

eg. Lidls muesli bars
    Just discovered their muesli is the same as a well known brand in Germany which i used to love (Dr. Oetker) - addicted to the stuff! They must have done a deal with them and rebranded it.
    Their beer is ok - i wouldnt dare drink it when i lived there (as there was simply better available) but given the choice of drinking it here as opposed to the heavily branded píss we drink here ie. budweiser, carling, etc. its fine. I cant believe we let ourselves be conned into drinking píss when we regard ourselves as a nation of beer drinkers.
    Cashews - cant find them as cheap anywhere else.

Advertisement