Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anygood old classics on budget?

Options
  • 20-12-2003 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Anybody know of any good games on budget for this Christmas? Last year I was pleasantly surprised by Deus Ex which I thought was absolute class. I'm into Rpg, Adventure or strategy. I think I'll give the FPS scene a break this year.

Hamster

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

Homeworld, Homeworld: Cataclysm, Thief 2, Fallout 1/2, Broken Sword 1/2, Grand Prix Legends.

each one a gaming masterpieces and only 7 eurobucks each.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ShevY

deus ex

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

hmmmm, give avp 1 & 2 a lash, some quality gaming to be had there.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Poz3D

You have to get Half-Life if you don't already have it. It's a classic FPS game with a great single-player storyline. You can also play multiplayer games like Counter-Strike and Day of Defeat for free when you buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I've played Half-Life (in '98/'99) Thief II & I (in '01/'02) and Deus Ex on budget ('02). Deus Ex hellva good game with a decent storyline.

DiscoStu,

Fallout 1/2 and Broken Sword 1/2 sound good especially Fallout. I never tried them. I guess Fallout is of the rpg mould. A bit like a modern Ultima VII ? I vaguely heard of Fallout (and complaints of the sequel). Would Fallout I or II and Broken Sword work on XP? Here's Hoping... :) Should I play the original Fallout?

Thanks again for yer suggestions. Oh if anyone hasn't tried it just in case... Give System Shock II a serious bash... a good rpg! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

ive had no problems running any of the fallout or broken sword games on xp. the only niggle with fallout 1 is the install program causes the entire screen to go blue. its not a bsod but just blue. moving the mouse around the entire screen area will clean it up.

fallout is the best western rpg ever made imho. totally open ended and you are free to anything. kill everyone in a town and word spreads and people aint going to like oyu very much but be a regular boy scout and people will love you. top stuff.

broken sword 1 is the best non lucasarts point and clicker made and is really top stuff with great stereotypical charicatures of all the different nationalities plus its got the voice of podge and rodge in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Swifty

I can vouch for Broken Sword, excellent stuff! (watch out for the goat) The second one isn't as good though.

You have a console? There's tons of stuff gone platinum now. SSX Tricky is a bargain at 30 eurma's

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Sacrifice

This game is a work of art. Beautiful, Challengin and absorbing. Its hard at first but well worth the effort.

Not quite on topic but if you enjoyed Deus Ex you should try and get your hands on System Shock 2. SS2 was also a product of the Deus Ex team and has a very similar interface. It is far more atmospheric however and is one of the few games that is really scary.

Unfortunately it is almost impossible to get a legal copy nowadays and it needs patches to get it ro run under XP. Nevertheless well worth the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bear in mind System Shock 2 needs Win98/ME or XP to run.
    Other titles:
    Startopia
    Giants: Citizen Kabuto
    Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Give System Shock II a serious bash... a good rpg!

I would if I could find the bastid!

Wasn't Fallout 2 the game were you could get AIDS for slutting around. Remember my friend telling me something about his character catching AIDS after screwing someone in the bushes in the game.

serious sam the second encounter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Originally posted by SyxPak

Giants: Citizen Kabuto

YES, get giants

ground control and planescape: torment also highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Yes, Planescape: Torment is very good indeed. Fantastic plot.

And perhaps the orignal Baldur's Gate.

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Bear in mind System Shock 2 needs Win98/ME or XP to run.
    Hostile Waters: Antaeus Rising

Hostile Waters - Another overlooked classic.

It was a total failure commercially partly because the manual is so bad that even reviewers couldn't figure out how to play the game - Happily there is one Faq available which tells you what you need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Manual?
    The in-game tutorial/first mission sets you right up.

Ground Control was a bloody amazing game.
    I'm salivating at the prospect of GC2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭cr1spy

Finally!

Someone else who played Sacrifice and Giants. I thought I was the only person to buy them. Both absolute classics and extremely underated.
    I buy tons of budget games, and looking at some of the better ones I have-

Shogun
    Falllout
    Icewind Dale
    Sacrifice
    Thief 2
    Hostile Waters
    Giants
    Diablo 2
    Operation Flashpoint
    Serious Sam
    AVP 2
    Baldurs Gate

All very good games, and worth a look.
    BTW, Game have an offer at the moment, where if you but two budget games, you get a third one free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Fionnan

Anyone seen Planescape Torment on sale anywhere?

I bought Broken Sword 2 today at PC World (Waterford) for 8.49 Euro and will try it out later tonight. It looks promising. I didn't see Fallout but will keep an eye out for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭lordsippa

I've been looking for a budget copy of planescape since my original copy "disappeared" <I KNOW SOMEONE OUT THERE HAS IT! :mad:>... No luck. Grr.

• Advertisement

Ok.... my brother got me Hitman 1 for christmas... Seems nice enough. I just played it for 20 minutes. First level is escaping out of a sanatorium I think. Bad points: No save at all during mission (ie better not crash and the power better stay on) and it's 3rd person perspective...

Having seen that it looks very nice and atmospheric and follows the Thief mould in sneak sneak....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Yeah I bought Hitman on budget too, pretty good, although I thought it would be better.

The missions are very short, but you have to learn all the best methods of doing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Giblet
    Yeah I bought Hitman on budget too, pretty good, although I thought it would be better.

The missions are very short, but you have to learn all the best methods of doing stuff.

I played Hitman 2 right through, I found it very unbalanced. You can easily blast your way through almost every mission without any sneaking or tactics at all. Very few missions required any thought.

As for the weapons, well, using the dual Baller pistols, I hit a guy in the chest with one round from each at the same time, and he was lifted off his feet, carried what I guess is 300-400m, and smacked off the side of a hill. Hello, they're little handguns...

Good fun though, despite all that.

I didn't like the Thief titles at all really, I was very happy with sneaking around people's houses, warehouses etc, but then you get dropped into this erm. monster. world. thing. *scratches head* and you have Crazy Shit (tm) happening. Didn't fit well at all, wish they'd just stuck with the "normal" world.

Yea phaxx,

Thief I did have some weird levels in it. I first came across Thief II on a warez version and on the strength of it I bought the two (about two years ago now). Thief II- The Metal Age was very good. The second one concentrated on a more normal plot element. Not that the graphics were great now. The stealth is what I liked (and measurable by the brightness of that small green gem). Knocking out patrols... hiding the bodies, causing disturbances and distractions to get away etc. Listening to the guards conversations was fun too. Aged now... so I hope Warren gives a look in to the Thief III team. Should be out some time next year. :ninja:

Hitman seems to have this sneak sneak element.

Yes, Glad you say short, as you cannot save. Seems like a good idea so I might take the life of main character more seriously... :)

Oh Hum... Hitman seems to use that background fogging effect.. the first mission is in broad daylight and I see a grey wall of fog in the distance.... hmmmm.

Advertisement