Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Condom prices

• 20-12-2003 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Condoms are quite expensive - I paid 13 euros for a box of 12 today and that was the cheapest type they had in the pharmacy. This strikes me as being a bit pricey - in other words, you pay more than a euro every time you have sex!

Are prices as high in other countries?

More importantly, is there anywhere they can be bought more cheaply?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Condoms are considered a luxuary item and so are taxed at a rate of 21%

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could also try http://www.durex.com/ie/

Not 100% of prices but surely gota be better then the shops

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by bazH

Sheep + Strat = PPC

Your sig makes no sense, surely your not trying suggest I'm PPC?
    are you bloody crazy?

We all know TheSonOfBattles is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

For diversity of choice (which is the bedrock of protecting the consumer economy), try "Condom Power", ye olde infamous "Justin Casey"[1] shope.

[1] The name of Bishop Eamon Casey's son.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Originally posted by Thaed
    Condoms are considered a luxuary item and so are taxed at a rate of 21%

:D I would have thought of them as anti-luxury...

€4 for 2 last time I purchased. Outrageous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Heard recently that the new organisation set up to act as an advisory service for crisis pregnancies are going to exert pressure on government to have the price of rubbers dropped.

K-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Hmm, I wonder if we could throw some figures together of single parent benefit paid out by the government each year because of unplanned pregnancies?
    Weigh that against the tax brought in by crazy-price condoms. Especially those #*!$ Avantis :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by simu
    I paid 13 euros for a box of 12 today and that was the cheapest type they had in the pharmacy.

em... its 4 for 2 in a vending machine...

2 quid a shag, i think the government is pimping all the women in ireland :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Condoms are just as dear in the UK. Eg a pack of 12 Durex Fetherlites is £9 from Boots which is around 13 euros. And Avantis are very expensive - £4.50 for 2 or around 6.60 euros.

BrianD3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

After six years, he's either found cheaper condoms, or is raising several children by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

you can buy a pack of 3 for €2 in the €2 shop, therefore you can get 12 condoms for €8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

simu wrote: »
    Condoms are quite expensive - I paid 13 euros for a box of 12 today and that was the cheapest type they had in the pharmacy. This strikes me as being a bit pricey - in other words, you pay more than a euro every time you have sex!

Its alot cheaper than child maintenance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Theres something about the €2 shop condoms I couldn't trust...after watching Channel 4's "The Fake Trade" I'll stick to good 'ol Durex (genuine ones!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I actually find durex to be very unreliable, from personal experience.

Condomi and Trojan, are both much better if you can find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭redpanda26

majiktripp wrote: »
    Theres something about the €2 shop condoms I couldn't trust...after watching Channel 4's "The Fake Trade" I'll stick to good 'ol Durex (genuine ones!)

Fair enough, I actually haven't gotten them myself so I couldn't tell you what quality they were but had seen them for sale in there and if someone wanted to get them for cheaper, its a place to keep in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 IrelandRocks

You can get 12 condoms for £5.99 from Mojo Condoms website, 99p delivery to Ireland. Use the voucher code MOJO4U to get a 20% discount (I know the owner who is Irish). British Kitemark quality certified same as all the major brands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭lau1247

boots quite often do 2 for price of 1.. just stock up then

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭friday1

lidl's have 12 for around 6.50. Gave them a try, seem ok. Packaging on the box look stupid but the condoms are grand. There only cheap cause there is no money spent on marketing etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bogview

if they were the right size and comfortable it wasnt too bad cheep to0 tight and not comfortable is the pits do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭CathalMc

Sorry for digging this thread up, but I am delighted to confirm all suspicions:

The worlds most expensive places to have sex.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It's €2 for a pack of 20 in petrol stations here (VAT @ 19.6%). Might be worth setting up an import business.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,329 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'll always recommend Condomerie.

It's a Amsterdam condom shop that has for pretty much every size and style you could wish for. May not be the cheapest one out there but having a condom that fits and feels nice >>> price; at least to me and they ship world wide (it's a interesting shop to visit if you're ever in Amsterdam as well) :). They have sample packs for most types as well allowing people to test and try to see what they prefer before buying a specific brand/type/size.

Think my last order was around 85c per condom including shipping but they where not a mainstream one so no major surprise there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

I think they are considering the price of a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Is VAT charged at point of entry ?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

majiktripp wrote: »
    Theres something about the €2 shop condoms I couldn't trust...
    Yes, best stick with good quality ones, I like mine to be electronically testeo

sku_18886_1.jpg

about 6cent each!
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.18886

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

So you've never paid more than a euro for sex??!! :D

Seriously though, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, herpes, crabs, & and a baby would all cost you well more than €1 - so stop complaining!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

yea I believe in Vegas the average price for sex is 2grand..hahaha count yourself lucky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭sharms

when i was on a cruise in italy they had condom machines EVERYWHERE i thought Oh My God they must be obsessed they were durex and they were cheap and all tehy government subsidises them or somehting but not many underage pregnant kids around because of it aswell as the fact that young people are ashamed to go into a shop and buy them so it's just a better system for them i guess. Wouldnt exactly work in town though would it.. you would have kids running after you with penis shaped balloons :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

sharms wrote: »
    when i was on a cruise in italy they had condom machines EVERYWHERE i thought Oh My God they must be obsessed they were durex and they were cheap and all tehy government subsidises them or somehting but not many underage pregnant kids around because of it aswell as the fact that young people are ashamed to go into a shop and buy them so it's just a better system for them i guess. Wouldnt exactly work in town though would it.. you would have kids running after you with penis shaped balloons :D

Once they're not running after you with balloon shaped penises, I wouldn't mind!

Advertisement