Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Page File

Options
  • 21-12-2003 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Recently i heard that if you have over 512 mb ram you should turn off the page file for an extra performance boost. So i was wondering if it was true or are there any side effects?

I'm running win2k with 1 gig of ddr ram btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Ye go ahead with one gig you should have no prob you should get a little boost from not needing your HDD for swaping dont put it to 0 MB in Windows put it to 10MB cause Windows tends to change 0MB to default again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

If i put it to 10 will it not give me "run out of virutal memory" errors? Also when i get into windows it gives me a big popup saying i have no pagingfile, can i get rid of this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

theres a setting that you can change that makes windows use ram (right up to the last kilobyte) before touching paging file. Enable that. Unfortunately i cant remeber wherei saw it.

It will not give you those errors unless you actually run out of RAM - and at 1GB I wouldn't worry to much about it, that error I've never seen it before so I can't help you there:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It's really not a good idea to disable the pagefile.

The perf boost that you'll see won't be noticable at all, and as a consequence, if your machine crashes, you won't get a dump file or error info.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

I've recently added 256MB of RAM to my PC to bring it up to 512MB. I have the paging file set to "system managed" at the moment. What would be a typical paging file size for a P4 system with 512MB of RAM ? At the moment with system managed paging file, the paging file is set at 766MB. That seems a bit big ?

Nope for system managed 776Mb is proper it's meant to be between 1.5 and 2 times the amount of actual physical memory, you could turn it down to 256-512Mb no prob.....I wouldn't recommend turning it off all together unless you get 1Gb of RAM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

Ok, that's great. Thanks for the info.

If you set your pagefile to a static size of about 2x your RAM (preferable on a different controller than your OS), you'll have the most optimum pagefile configuration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Hows that now? Surely paging RAM is much faster than paging the hard drive. Thus have 1 gig of RAM and a small page file would benefit performance cos the system would be using virtual memory a lot less.

• Advertisement

You don't page data to RAM. You can only do that if you have a RAM drive configuration.

Windows uses demand paging to page 'pages' out to the HD
    This is data that the system doesn't immediatly need.
    Users who have a gig of RAM generally use that gig of RAM, so a pagefile is normally necessary.

Otherwise you'll get Out of Memory errors when you approace your RAM limit.

Advertisement