Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car sold and nabbed by the coppers!!

Options
  • 21-12-2003 1:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

got loads of calls about my car this week, seems like people want to treat themselves to a nice christmas present

sold to a guy from the midlands, 6,500 euro plus i keep the 16" alloys,.

i was driving home to kerry friday night, and on the shannon d carriageway, around bunratty, i was doing about 70/80 all the way to limerick. i was driving along shyte roads up in mayo and galway for about and hour and a half, it was getting late (midnight ish) and i just wanted to speed along home on the dual carriage way, i looked like i was flying, but only cos the only cars were doing about 50....:(

anyway, my dash lights were bust (after stereo install!) and i had a flash light to occasionally look at my speed.

i was followd by a car for about 6 miles, and then i kinda sped off, thinking it was a boy racer........eventually it tailgated me and i said **** it, i pulled over to the slow lane....and then it was the 'STOP GARDA! ' snazzy red sign on their car......
    so i got busted for 2 p points and 80 euro fine

what a fine ****ing day that was for me!

i got a 19 euro fine in castlebar early in the day for over parking in a 30 min area of a car park.......(i missed the inspecter cos i was eating food in a fast food joint!)

i had a clean licence, but the cop was having none of it, i told him i thought it was a racer intimidating me and i pulled over,. he said he was trying to keep up with me.......said it was 89mph on the ticket, in a 60 mph zone? thought duelers were all 70 mph??

bad hair day eh!

anyone else get busted like this???

he gave a right look at the car, and said had i any reasons for going so fast, i said it was late and i wanted to get home, i was going to kerry.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by x in the city
    thought duelers were all 70 mph??

No 70mph only applies to Motorways and will be signed as such.
    The white circle with a diagonal black line means 60mph (or 55mph or 100Kmph if the law changes)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=130939&highlight=rules+road

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

In the UK all dual carrigeways are 70mph unless otherwise marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Originally posted by John R
    In the UK all dual carrigeways are 70mph unless otherwise marked.
    "Sounds like someone's livin' in the past, man! You gotta CONTEMPORARISE!"

In other words, this isn't the uk.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Obviously, some people need to brush up on the rules of the road

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html
    www.iol.ie/~pt/roadrule.html (best thing in terms of the R.o.t.R. as our Govt. obviously make so much money off selling them so they don't provide it online)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭red_ice

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    No 70mph only applies to Motorways and will be signed as such.

Little do most peope know that its actually 77mph :)

Your allowed to do 10% over the speed limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yeh theres a 10% rule that allows for your speedometer to be out of calibration, wasnt sure if it still applied since the penalty points came in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭an_taoiseach

Here is something that I posted on another Thread yesterday. Consider yourselves warned :(

FROM : http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group...d/message/48718

"Date: Fri Dec 19, 2003 2:44 pm
    Subject: Re: [motorcycle-ireland] Re: O/T Turkey Shoot

Speaking of points. Got stopped today for doing wait for it 42mph in a 40
    zone. The Garda told me there was zero tolerance was in force over Christmas.
    I told him that my speedo was in Km/hr and that I thought I was going just
    under the limit and that I thought we were allowed 10% lee way so any error
    margins in equipment could be accounted for. Sound bloke (yes he let me away
    with it ) but he had told me that he had done a taxi driver for being 2 miles
    over the limit in a 30 zone.

So keep a close eye on your clocks over the hols"

Originally posted by red_ice
    Little do most peope know that its actually 77mph :)

Your allowed to do 10% over the speed limit
    That is incorrect!
    You are not allowed exceed the speed limit. However, the gardai sometimes allow a 10% waiver on this to allow for speedometer discrepancies. However, if you decide to drive @ 10% over the limit and your speedo (without your knowledge) is also 10% out then you could in fact be doing close on 85mph.
    Tell that to the judge!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I've heard this 10% too - but when I heard it, it was only 5-7% can't remember which - but they could still prosecute esp. if they have radar.

Are Speedo's part of the NCT test ?

if a garda decides to give 5 or 10% then it is done at their discretion. There is no official rule on the matter and anyone caught over the garda's speed meter limit is liable for a couple of points.

IIRC the speedo must work but is not given an accuracy check in the NCT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

All speedos read over by about 5%-10%. So if your speedo is reading 70mph you are most likely to be travelling at about 63-66mph.

For you to be doing a genuine 70mph your speedo could be reading as much as 77mph so in fair you've had plenty of warning.

and fyi the exact interpretation is 10% + 3mph over before you've overstepped the mark but the coppers are not obliged to give you this grace at any time. Be warned.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Heh, where do I start
    and on the shannon d carriageway, around bunratty, i was doing about 70/80 all the way to limerick
    In that case you almost certainly passed through at least one 50mph zone doing that speed. Count yourself lucky you weren't clocked in that zone (can't remember the name of the place but it's around there)

anyway, my dash lights were bust (after stereo install!) and i had a flash light to occasionally look at my speed.
    :rolleyes:

i was followd by a car for about 6 miles, and then i kinda sped off, thinking it was a boy racer........eventually it tailgated me and i said **** it, i pulled over to the slow lane....and then it was the 'STOP GARDA! ' snazzy red sign on their car......
    You drove in the overtaking lane for six miles? Have I misread this? And is your policy with boy racers to try to outrun them? Are you scared they'll steal your alloys or compare penis size?

You weren't expecting sympathy were you?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Sceptre pretty much said everything there, apart from "you're a ****ing idiot"

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by NeRb666
    Sceptre pretty much said everything there, apart from "you're a ****ing idiot"
    /me nods slowly.

You don't know the rules of the road, you're driving an unfit vehicle, and blatantly driving over the limit (you know full well that there are no 80mph limits in this country).

Boo-hoo. We're all glad you were caught.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

When I read posts like this I cant help but get angry. Sometimes I cant believe the attitute of people who are supposed to be responsible and adult enough to drive a car. When I read the thread starters comments and then flick through my paper to see that 2 children were killed this weekend after a motorist 'plowed' his car into a group of children walking on the footpath - it makes me wisk that penalty points came witha madatory castration.

What makes it worst is the fact that his comments are written in the now famous ' oh no, pity me, I was just doing 80mph and the cops had the cheek to stop and fine me' tone that has become more and more commonplace these days.

I hope tat once you have sold and handed over your car that you will see sense and never buy one again

Hyzepher

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by kbannon
    You are not allowed exceed the speed limit

True - you can be fined for doing 1 mph over the limit - this is at the Garda's discretion. Camera's here do not have the same tolerance as the ones used in the North/UK
    Originally posted by MojoMaker
    All speedos read over by about 5%-10%. So if your speedo is reading 70mph you are most likely to be travelling at about 63-66mph.

This depends on your speed and on your car. A lower end car could read over by as much as 10% but only at the maximum speed, i.e 90-100 mph. There is no car that would rate more than 1 mph over or under at 30 mph. My car for instance shows the same speed as whatever yoke the guards are using :(

Caught once here doing 88 mph on the motorway (camera on new stretch at Dundalk a couple of years ago), once in the North doing 85 mph, but very nice copper up there let me get away with it. Both times I was doing exactly the speed they told me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 843 ✭✭✭DaithiSurfer

You should have been banned.
    You don't know how to drive or the rules of the road.
    And you have the nerve to call another guy a boy racer.

Sorry guard i couldnt see the speedo because there are no lights and anyway i thought the speed limit was 70 and im in a hurry to get home and i thought you were a boy racer so i decided to race you and block you, so dont do me.
    Oh yeah and i was eating so i decided to break the laws on arking too.

Jaysus!!!!!!!!!!!! How does that sound to you.

Kenetic Energy is proportional to speed squared.
    So at 89 you'd have over twice the energy as at 60( 2.2 times ) this does not mean your stopping distance is simply doubled as there is also a much higher risk of skidding or brakes overheating and fading.

89mph = 143 Kmph = 39.78 Meters per second (reaction time = ? at night )
    Kenetic energy = 791 Joules per Kg or in English being dropped from 80.65m / 264 feet. - Liberty hall is only 195ft...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

thought duelers were all 70 mph??
    Like, say, Baggot Street and O'Connell street in Dublin? :moron:

Lets not forget the N11
    or the road leading to Lucan - six lanes and still 40mph

• Advertisement

Lets not forget the N11
    With lots of private houses leading onto it.
    or the road leading to Lucan - six lanes and still 40mph
    With merging and demerging traffic at Liffey Valley and the M50.

Originally posted by Victor
    With merging and demerging traffic at Liffey Valley and the M50.

There's merging and demerging on the Autobahn in Germany - no speed limit on many stretches :)

You'd have to be a little careful, if you do over 200km/h and are involved in an accident, then you're held 25% responsible even though you weren't at fault

Originally posted by unkel
    There's merging and demerging on the Autobahn in Germany - no speed limit on many stretches :)
    You never get the merging **then** demerging that close on an unlimited section (with bus stops). Most Autobahns in and around urban areas are limited, it is only the truely intercity sections that are unlimited.

N11 - the new section of the N11 with no driveways..

Heading towards lucan on the Lucan road merging problems are caused by the right hand lane disappearing near the garage.. on a three lane road you can get used to the left lane merging every so often. the inner lane from Liffery valley to the garage is rarely used - people stay in the middle lane ...
    Anyway the point is that no all dualers are anything like 70mh.

Lots of the N9 is 50mph - but it's not a dual carraigeway and it's frequented by people who drive at night as fast as they can. The problem being these muppets can drive faster than 35mph because they have their lights dipped ALL the time. RANT - twice one evening I was caught them and the really infurating bit was they went at 35mph through the 30 zones too...

You never get the merging **then** demerging that close on an unlimited section (with bus stops). Most Autobahns in and around urban areas are limited, it is only the truely intercity sections that are unlimited.

Ah very true Victor but Autobahns can also have short merging sections. Granted no bus stops, but the bus stops on the N4 are in their own lane, still 3 lanes left each way. The limited speed areas in Germany are still typically 130km/h not 64 (40mph)

Mind big difference if merging traffic is doing at least 100km/h and not the 15 - 20 mph a very common insecure, ignorant and incapable driver here would do. In the Netherlands it is well known that unmarked police cars following drivers doing up to 106mph (170 km/h), but without doing this in a dangerous fasion, would forget about them when they spot a driver doing sub 50mph (the minimum speed on motorways). They do what I feel they should do and get that dangerously slow car off the road. Fines for this are incredibly high. This also holds for people overtaking in the non-overtaking lane. If you reverse out of a slip road back towards a motorway (something I see about once a month here at least and I don't do a huge mileage), you lose your license :)
    Heading towards lucan on the Lucan road merging problems are caused by the right hand lane disappearing near the garage.. on a three lane road you can get used to the left lane merging every so often. the inner lane from Liffery valley to the garage is rarely used - people stay in the middle lane ...

Indeed that does not help either

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

If you reverse out of a slip road back towards a motorway (something I see about once a month here at least and I don't do a huge mileage), you lose your license :)

Yeah, I see that myself regularly. I guess it's to be expected since we don't have any kind of proper driver education.

Yeah a minimum speed when not held up by traffic or bad weather should be applied here for the motorways - how about 40mph to get the ball rolling and gradually bring it up to 50mph. Then again there is the problem of driver education..

How about spot checks like a breathalyser - if you can't answer 10 out of 15 of the pretest questions 2 penatly points :D

Ah very true Victor but Autobahns can also have short merging sections.
    Usually on cloverleaf junctions where there are four carriageways (2 express, 2 interchange) not two.
    Yeah a minimum speed when not held up by traffic or bad weather should be applied here for the motorways - how about 40mph to get the ball rolling and gradually bring it up to 50mph. Then again there is the problem of driver education..
    It's 30mph here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

In the Netherlands it is well known that unmarked police cars following drivers doing up to 106mph (170 km/h), but without doing this in a dangerous fasion, would forget about them when they spot a driver doing sub 50mph (the minimum speed on motorways).

Where is this legal to drive at super speeds in the Netherlands ? !

I have travelled over there criss-crossing the country, the speed limits were very strict all over the country that is until you cross the german border and speed up :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you reverse out of a slip road back towards a motorway (something I see about once a month here at least and I don't do a huge mileage), you lose your license :)
    Here? Or in the Netherlands.

I know it's illegal to reverse from a minor road onto a major one, and the motorway qualifies as the major of all roads, so I'd well hope that anyone found doing something this dumb would be banned...
    It's 30mph here.
    And far too slow.

Advertisement