Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car sold and nabbed by the coppers!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by seamus
    I know it's illegal to reverse from a minor road onto a major one, and the motorway qualifies as the major of all roads, so I'd well hope that anyone found doing something this dumb would be banned...
    ...or Darwinised by the truck they can't see.

I saw some muppet reverse from the M50 - M1 (northbound) freeflow lane back onto the M50 (so as to then head to the roundabout) last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Victor
    It's 30mph here.

Didn't know that - thanks Victor. Only problem is that there is virtually no presence of Gardai on the M50 to enforce this. Let alone to fine and ban Learner drivers.
    Originally posted by seamus
    Here? Or in the Netherlands.

Only country I have ever seen this happen was here :(
    Originally posted by gurramok
    Where is this legal to drive at super speeds in the Netherlands ? !

I didn't say it was legal. My point was that the police might prefer to stop a motorist doing 45mph on a motorway and leave a motorist doing 100mph for safety reasons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Notice the way he hasn't had the balls to post since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

"Sounds like someone's livin' in the past, man! You gotta CONTEMPORARISE!"

Shine on you crazy diomand!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,362 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by herbie747
    Notice the way he hasn't had the balls to post since.

Who's that herbie747?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Originally posted by unkel
    Who's that herbie747?

The guy who started the thread. Once people clearly weren't sympathetic to his "unfortunate" situation, he didn't respond.
    I think he was expecting a "Yeah man, f*ck the pigs, we should be allowed to go as fast as we want" thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

in reply to some narrow minded people who posted replys here........

i do have the balls to rely to this...

and i dont have a small penis.........

and i never knew no lights on the dash made a car not road worthy.......

i have not logged onto the boards site since i left college.......

theres alot of replay to my thread, alot of things i didnt agree with.......

basically, the way i look at it is that we live in backward country with outdated roads and equally outdated laws

the car i used to drive, was rather fast, but not outrageously so, i mean am i to belive that no one in ireland has not exceeded 80 /90 mph on our roads.?

we dont all drive 1 litre fiestas or micras.......

im not a wreckless driver, i havent maimed anyone yet,.......

the only accidents i was involved in was when i had a mitsubishi colt and a bloke rear ended me in the naas dual carriage way.

i have a motto and it is " if in doubt pass it out"....... basically, all the slow drivers on our roads, they are the cause of alot of accients...they indficate too late, (or at all) refuse to pass out hgv's or tractors doing 30mph....and etc.

guess i will get a torrent of abuse now................

ps: after telling one of my mates in the pub over the christmas period my tale, he said he did 115 in his primera.......in portlaoise......
    guess he is a killer driver as well.......

:confused:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

people like that should lose there licence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by x in the city
    basically, the way i look at it is that we live in backward country with outdated roads and equally outdated laws
    The road you were travelling on isn't outdated for the most part - quite a bit if it has been open only about six weeks. Nonetheless the speed limit is 60. See two paragraphs below for why people most likely think you a plonker.

the car i used to drive, was rather fast, but not outrageously so, i mean am i to belive that no one in ireland has not exceeded 80 /90 mph on our roads.?
    The psychological term for what you're now doing is "transference" IIRC. Either way, even if I remember the wrong term (it's certainly some kind of projected rationalisation), you're trying to justify your behaviour by maintaining that other people do it too so it must be all right really. In reality, it doesn't matter a damn what speed everyone (or a few other people) travels at. You were the one going too fast in a car that was unfit for the road and you got caught. I fail to believe that anyone with half a brain would think they were legally allowed to use a car where they couldn't read the speedometer without scrabbling for a flashlight

Ignoring that, everyone who speeds doesn't moan in public about how they were caught. I suspect that's what made most people to read that you were either an idiot or a smart guy caught in a temporary pang of stupidity. You actually went and whinged about it. That's the difference between someone who's going too fast and just fesses up and someone who actually thinks they were in the right.

Look at it like this, because here's a rough synopsis of your post:

"I was going well over the speed limit (89 mph) on a dual carriageway where the speed limit is mostly 60 and sometimes 50. I'd little idea of how fast I was going because the dash lights weren't working because I had a new stereo installed so I was using a torch to check it out the odd time. Someone drove up behind me when I was in the overtaking lane for about 6 miles and I decided to race them to Limerick - they were doing the same speed as I was so naturally I assumed it /must/ be a boy racer. Dammit it was the cops. Idiots. I tried to get out of it because I hadn't had points before but for some mystical reason they wouldn't let me off"

What would a sane person think? No one needs to give you a torrent of abuse, the idea you have that you can actually defend it and then defend complaining about it says more than even herbie747 could say. At this point the best you can do is at least admit to yourself privately that you deserved those two points, pay the fine gracefully, ignore possible boy racers (why would it make a difference if the person behind is a "boy racer"?), learn what the overtaking lane is for and not whinge when you get the next two.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

for that speed, no fine, a straight ban

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

and i never knew no lights on the dash made a car not road worthy.......

I don't know if it's legal or not but common sense would tell anyone that using a torch to see what speed you are doing is retarded. Oh wait I've cracked the case, you're retarded and don't have common sense. Next.

I think you meant "nobody in Ireland has exceeded 80/90mph". Either way my first response applies.

we dont all drive 1 litre fiestas or micras.......

Whatever, either will do 80/90mph. Every single new car available in this country is capable of breaking the highest speed limit we have.

im not a wreckless driver, i havent maimed anyone yet,.......

Oh that's ok then. I take everything back. I'll just wait until you've killed someone to again call you a retard.

i have a motto and it is " if in doubt pass it out"....... basically, all the slow drivers on our roads, they are the cause of alot of accients...they indficate too late, (or at all) refuse to pass out hgv's or tractors doing 30mph....and etc.

:rolleyes: <--- only appropriate response to that horse****e

ps: after telling one of my mates in the pub over the christmas period my tale, he said he did 115 in his primera.......in portlaoise......
    :confused:

Jesus, you better go out and beat his high score now, he'll think you're gay if you don't. Better still, do it while you're drunk, RESPECT.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

meh double post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Emboss

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Lets not forget the N11
    or the road leading to Lucan - six lanes and still 40mph

i got done on this for doing 46mph

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

sceptre's pretty much summed it all up.
    That doesn't make it ok. Head over to the Middle East, commit some petty theft, and see how far cries of "barbarism" and "outdatedness" go before they remove your hands.
    Most of us don't make a habit of it though. You expected everyone to back you up because you think it's ok to race someone, so long as they're a 'scumbag boy racer'.
    A dangerous motto to live by. Other drivers aren't obstacles to be avoided, they're psychopaths driving vehicles, who are a danger to you. That's the way I look at it. There's no such thing as 'indicating too late' when it comes to overtaking. If you're overtaking another car who's already indicated to pull out, then you're in the wrong. You have to be considerate that some people need more road space to overtake (ie 1l micras and fiestas) and some people need to double-check that it's safe. Some people need both. It may look safe to you, but your car is faster, or your more confident. But one day, someone won't see your impatient self overtaking their line of traffic, and will pull out and kill you both.
    Did you get out a ruler and compare penises too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    The white circle with a diagonal black line means 60mph (or 55mph or 100Kmph if the law changes)

Err no- White circle with diagonal black line means end of speed limit and the national speed limit applies. If you answer 60mph on yer test you'll be marked incorrectly for it.

K-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Originally posted by Victor
    You never get the merging **then** demerging that close

I would advise all that think that merging and demerging at close quarters and at speed is dangerous to take a trip to scotland and travel west to east via glasgow via the tunnel. When you come out the far side of the tunnel you have up to twelve lanes converging in places and the speed limit is 60 the whole way through. I have also never heard a traffic report (when I was living there) to say there had been an accident either.

Mind you, the brits actually do know how to drive.

K-

Advertisement