Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gigabyte GA-6WMM motherboard sound driver problems

• 21-12-2003 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I've been trying to setup windows 98SE on this motherboard. So far I've got all the drivers from:

http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/Driver/Driver_GA-6WMM.htm
    However the sound drivers there didn't work. They're self-extractables and have a setup.exe which I ran but windows could still not find the driver for the sound. (which is onboard)

It says there and from searching on google that this particular motherboard has Yamaha sound but I can't see any Yamaha chip on the motherboard. There are, however, two "EliteMT" chips .. maybe that's the onboard sound?

Any suggestions thankfully appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Are the jumpers for on-board sound set to 'On', cause the on-board sound card could have been disabled using the jumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

The board has no jumpers for sound, it's enabled and dis able in the bios.

The sound card is listed in device manager with an exclaimation mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Then it's your drivers....which you already guessed....your just going to afto scour the net for drivers, uninstall the one you have and try other ones(if you can find any), other then that there isn't a lot you can do:(, sorry.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There is a utility called CHKPCI which should ID the SB chipset. - can't remember if it's in the OS\WIndows or the technology stickies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Instead of running the setup.exe, try going to the properties of it in device manager, clicking to update the driver, and point it to the folder where you extracted the drivers to.

Also see if there's some kind of remove executable that might have come with the drivers that may remove registry entries so you can start from scratch with it. Also try removing it from device manager and then running the setup.exe

If there's still an exclamation mark, check the properties of it and see if it gives any useful message that might be helpful in determining why it doesn't work. What category in device manager does it appear?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the gateway site there is an update utility that sometimes works - if it doesn't get upset at the BIOS or IE version then it will try to download recognised devices from thier FTP site.
    http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/assistant/default.asp
    also http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com sometimes has drivers

WCPUID from www.h-oda.com reports details of your chipset, CPU and motherboard. Handy before installing new drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

Thanks for all the replys. That WUCPUID program sounds very handy.

I found the packard bell restore cd so I just put it in a it basically did everything for me. It loaded windows again with all the drivers.

Advertisement