Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources

Options
  • 21-12-2003 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi all, just wondering how much processor usage should xp pro be using? when it's idle, should it be jumping from 0-4% or is this normal? (i.e. background programs using it). I've ran a full up todate virus scan and it's found nothing, plus a full spyware scan was done.
    Thanks,
    Rob

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

My system is the very same, with a 0-3% CPU usage when idle, and like you I've run virus and spyware checks. I think it's normal that the CPU does some "house-keeping" when idle. Hit CRTL-ALT-DEL and look at the processes tab to see exactly what services are using the CPU.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

There are background processes running all the time in any OS so hitting 3-4% is not in any way weird or wrong - just because you are idle does not mean the OS is idle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

the reason I was asking this is because, I was dealing with a pc the exact same to mine yesterday only that it was riddled with viri, and for some odd reason the processor usege was jumping from 0 - 61% for no reason what so ever when it was connected to the network, when unplugged it worked fine, so I guessed it was a virus. It wasn't any of the ones detected (as they were ancient) and an anti - virus was installed, but once I changed the network (physical) port it was fine, but I did notice it was jumping from 0 - 3/4ish and noticed mine was doing the same, so I was hoping I hadn't got what the other machine might have.

Thanks for the info,
    Rob

Advertisement