Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adsl router incl modem?

• 21-12-2003 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

hey,
    i need to get a wireless router that has a built in adsl modem (as my current modem is only usb)
    peats.ie have us robotics USR018022 and when i rang their store in dublin they told me it DOES have a built in modem, but it seems oddly cheap if it really is a modem/router combo!
    also, does the Dlink 604 have a built in modem?
    either way, i have seen a fair few dsl routers on various sites, but what im wondering is if a product says it is a "dsl router" or "broadband router" does this Necessarily mean that it it has a built in adsl modem?
    anyone have any suggestions on other decent dsl modem/routers?

thanks in advance
    ¬hacksaw

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

Originally posted by hacksaw-eddie
    hey,
    i need to get a wireless router that has a built in adsl modem (as my current modem is only usb)
    peats.ie have us robotics USR018022 and when i rang their store in dublin they told me it DOES have a built in modem, but it seems oddly cheap if it really is a modem/router combo!

strange that they'd say that to you ... a quick google turned up http://www.usr.com/support/8022/8022-ug/index.html

scroll down to the What you Need to Begin section, and it says you need "A functioning Ethernet-based cable or DSL modem OR an RS-232 based analogue or ISDN modem"

Ring them back! :)

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

cheers mate, just saved me the bother of goin to the shop to lok at it myself!
    so any1 have any suggestions of wireless dsl mdem+router combos?
    help much appreciated
    ¬hack

given previous experiences with peats, if you're not 100% sure of what it is you're buying, ask here, or google for the exact specs ... you may well find that what they told you was true, but more often than not, you'll be left with a steaming pile of horse **** :)

still though, if this thing had a built in modem it'd be a sweet deal allright

Daniel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Ripwave

Originally posted by hacksaw-eddie

The descrtiption on the Peats website says Cable/DSL Router. That tells you that it's not DSL specific, so it doesn't have a DSL modem built in.
    also, does the Dlink 604 have a built in modem?
    Yes. The Dlink website says it has a built-in ADSL interface. (I know someone who has this, and is using it with IOLBB, replacing the USB modem they provided).
    either way, i have seen a fair few dsl routers on various sites, but what im wondering is if a product says it is a "dsl router" or "broadband router" does this Necessarily mean that it it has a built in adsl modem?
    It is all a bit confusing, because the term "modem" isn't really correct, but the term "DSL router", while more correct, is equally confusing.

Broadband Router means it will work with any type of broadband - cable, DSL or Wireless. DSL Router should mean that it can connect directly to an ADSL line, but you can never be sure that a vendor knows what they're talking about.

Originally posted by Ripwave
    The descrtiption on the Peats website says Cable/DSL Router. That tells you that it's not DSL specific, so it doesn't have a DSL modem built in.
    Yes. The Dlink website says it has a built-in ADSL interface. (I know someone who has this, and is using it with IOLBB, replacing the USB modem they provided).

http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/di624plus.asp

any idea if this works ok with IOL? as it seems fine, but thought i'd ask :)

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

It will work fine IF you have an ethernet modem to plug into it other wise you will afto buy a seperate modem, since the IOL modem is a crappy USB modem.

Originally posted by hunt_daniel
    http://www.dlink.co.uk/pages/products/di624plus.asp

any idea if this works ok with IOL? as it seems fine, but thought i'd ask :)
    Note that the DI-624+ does not have a DSL modem built in - it is a "broadband router", and will work with Cable or DSL (or WISP) connections.

So yeah, it'll work fine with IOL as long as you buy an ethernet modem to go with it :)

Im just looking around at the moment, i'll definitely be moving to ethernet modem/switch/stuff - USB's a pain in the arse for networking!

just thinking about going wireless too... dont actually have any wireless pc's, but i like the idea of it :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

'cept I'll sit in a car outside your house, snoop all your passwords etc and then waste all your bandwidth.

Don't ya wish I didn't know where you lived? :p

Kidding!!!

hehe :) well i dunno, i suppose if i could somehow find your house i could tap into your wireless setup just as easy eh? :p

anyway, which router is it you have halenger? did you buy the combo pack from dsl-warehouse.ie? or just a plain router/modem?

Daniel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

d-link 604 is fantastic, was a rushed purchase in PCworld for 180 euros, but can't compain now - using it with IOLBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

d-link 604 is fantastic, was a rushed purchase in PCworld for 180 euros, but can't compain now - using it with IOLBB
    Have to agree with the above, exactly same panic purchase made by myself (actually D-Link 604+), and yes it has a built in ADSL modem.

Working brilliantly now, only slightly scary moment was when I needed to find my ISPs VPI and VCI figures (I'm on UTV by the way), so have the info to hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

We bought that USR one after the guy in Peats insisted it will do the job for IOL ADSL.
    Brought it home, no USB or ADSL port. Returned it this morning where the guy swore on his life that he set it up with IOL, and that it does act as a modem also. He said that I have to plug the phone line into the WAN socket and set it up from there, even though the WAN socket may look a bit big. There is no need for a seperate modem or anythign USB related.

So here I am, giving it a final go. Sure enough, the phone line connected into the WAN socket just like he said. If I've any luck with it, I'll let you know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

How the hell can an RJ11 fit into an RJ45 connection and not fall out????:eek:, are there diffrent layers, ie the biggest is for an RJ45 connection and within it there is an RJ11 one?.....kinda odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

How the hell can an RJ11 fit into an RJ45 connection and not fall out????, are there diffrent layers, ie the biggest is for an RJ45 connection and within it there is an RJ11 one?.....kinda odd.

RJ-11 is simply less narrow (4 pin) than RJ-45 (8 pin).
    They both have the same height and clip so RJ-11 cable will fit into RJ-45 socket - not designed to work but it does fit.

tribble

Originally posted by innisfree
    We bought that USR one after the guy in Peats insisted it will do the job for IOL ADSL.
    Brought it home, no USB or ADSL port. Returned it this morning where the guy swore on his life that he set it up with IOL, and that it does act as a modem also. He said that I have to plug the phone line into the WAN socket and set it up from there, even though the WAN socket may look a bit big. There is no need for a seperate modem or anythign USB related.

So here I am, giving it a final go. Sure enough, the phone line connected into the WAN socket just like he said. If I've any luck with it, I'll let you know.

Make sure you print out the page from the USR site referenced above. The one that clearly states that you need a working DSL or cable modem with ethernet connection to use this box.

Make the guy in Peats eat the printout before you beat him over the head with the modem for wasting your time and money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I wouldn;t recommend peats as a first stop shop. They are generally more expensive. If you can find it online, i;m sure it will be cheaper, or you'll get a better one for the same price. Check around. www.komplett.ie might sell them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭innisfree

Didn't work, though they're still claiming it should work as a modem and will probably continue to say so to customers.

Online is not an option this close to Christmas because of long delivery times. We can't find anywhere else now (Peats or Marx).

Originally posted by innisfree
    Didn't work, though they're still claiming it should work as a modem and will probably continue to say so to customers.

Online is not an option this close to Christmas because of long delivery times. We can't find anywhere else now (Peats or Marx).
    IT Direct on Parliament Street (just in front of Dublin Castle) sell the DLink DSL-614+ (I think that's the right model) which has a DSL modem built in, and is a wireless wouter too. About €180.

And I think you can buy direct from Elara too. Someone else mentioned buying one of these from Compustore or PCWorld, or whatever they're called these days. Whether anyone has them in stock I couldn't say, but there's lots of places far more obvious than Peats for this sort of gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

I just installed a wireless network in the house.

Goto http://www.savastore.com/ and order a NETGEAR DG834G (if you need the performance), from research you will not get a decent all in router in Ireland or below €200 (NB Harvey Norman wanted €299 for the 834G).

It will give you a 802.11G network with mimimum fuss.

I was using the IOLBB modem, just uninstalled the driver unplugged the old modem, plugged in the new and recorded my IOL details onto the netgear site.

Its working like a dream

Do not trust the so called expertise of store staff out there in this country. On my travels a sales person in Beyond 2000 was raving about 802.11B and was advising to buy the B from them, stating he had one in his own home. The following week, the same guy was raving about G and said I would be mad to buy B standard.
    Go figure.

Remember 99% of the sales staff have not go a clue about this stuff but will bullsh!t you

• Advertisement

i got a dlink-604+ and a binatone WL1000 802.11b wirless pc card for the laptop but having some problems..
    well, alls ok on my desktop (windows XP PRO) with the adsl etc and we have the network set up fine, but having probs with the laptop connection..
    everytime i turn on the laptop, the pc card turns itself off as windows begins and in order to get it working i have to take it out, restart windows then insert it again once windows starts (windows ME)
    any1 any ideas on why this is happening?
    cheers

MERRY CHRISMAS!!! :D

Originally posted by Lawdie
    I just installed a wireless network in the house.

Goto http://www.savastore.com/ and order a NETGEAR DG834G (if you need the performance), from research you will not get a decent all in router in Ireland or below €200 (NB Harvey Norman wanted €299 for the 834G).

It will give you a 802.11G network with mimimum fuss.

is that this one??

it doesnt say it has a modem built in?

Originally posted by hunt_daniel
    is that this one??

It doesn't say it has a modem built in?
    That's the WGR614, which is a "Cable/DSL" router - i.e. it's a router that will work with either cable or DSL (or a Wireless ISP) as long as you're got an ethernet connection from your broadband service (in other words, it won't work with a crappy USB modem, and it doesn't have any ADSL specific hardware of its own).

The DG834G is an "ADSL router".

When you add the £20+VAT for delivery, it's actually slightly cheaper to buy from an Irish vendor.

Note that this thread suggests that some people are having a lot of trouble with Netgear wireless routers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Ripwave was right you neet a modem that clearly states its a 'Wireless ADSL Firewall Router' if it does not say then you can assume it is not.

On the issue of costs, I was buying a few items and overall saved €92 on purchasing from the exampled irish vendor. Generally the UK sites get better lead times on some hardware.

I read the thread and I had the same problem as others, however I removed my current firewall and started using the Netgear firewall, no problem since.

If you look hard enough you will find these type of threads for most manufacturers.

But I'm not getting paid by Netgear so maybe Ripwave could add to the posting with suggusted make/models of recommended kit.

This would rapidly resolve the matter for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭mayto

can get the dg834 for 178 e incl. delivery off computeruniverse.net , a german site. have not used them yet but used other german sites like hm-sat.de and dvbshop.tv for satellite equipment and had no problems. use this german price checker , geizhals.net/eu , others which deliver here and take cc are jes-computer.de,jacob-computer.de , cyberport.de.

Originally posted by Lawdie
    But I'm not getting paid by Netgear so maybe Ripwave could add to the posting with suggusted make/models of recommended kit.
    I've been buying DLink gear for years, and am always happy to recommend it, but then, I know people who feel the same way about Netgear, and other people who feel the same about Linksys. Dlink and Linksys don't have 802.11G "DSL routers" yet, so if you want an "all in one" box now, the Linksys is the obvious choice.

(Though if the 3.5GHz wireless broadband rollout campaign succeeds, "all in one" devices might prove limiting in the future - you can only use them with DSL, not with out forms of broadband. If you live in a an area where you might have a choice between DSL and Wireless, or even cable broadband, you might want to hedge your bets and go for a "broadband router" and a seperate ethernet modem, if that's an option. For people with oreillycoms Netopia Cayman, that's definitely the smarter choice).

i got a dlink-604+ and a binatone WL1000 802.11b wirless pc card
    having probs with the signal strenght its 0%, and the signal quality is only apporx 85%
    i have the router upstairs and the pc crad/laptop downstairs about 30m away, but through a couple rooms ad not in a straight line..
    is the problem just a crap pc card..should i just get a better pc card or do i need to get an access point for downstairs?
    any help is great
    cheers

Advertisement