Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

error:cd writing

Options
  • 21-12-2003 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭

hey,
    just bought a sony DVD RW DW-U14A (OEM) from watford.co.uk and having problems:
    it will read dvd's and cds but wil not write anything
    i tried using easycd/cdrwin/clonecd and with all of them, it read cd fine but always fails just as writing is about to begin.
    the pr*cks at watford tec support wont help me and either wil sony, as it was bought oem.
    any1 understand what might be wrong?
    cheers
    ¬hacksaw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Well have you tried the CDs in diffrent drives?, try other Burning programs also get the latest f/w(firmware) update for your drive it may add support for these CDs you are having probs with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Which OS ? - is it patched to date ?
    Have you disabled antivirus SW while burning CD ?
    What else is running in background ?
    Is the media rated at the speed of the drive ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭hacksaw-eddie

win xp pro
    ive since updated the firmware with a hacked version to convert it to it's retail version sony DRU-510A as advised by others with the same drive (they're both the same drive, only with diff firmware)
    but since the change im still having the same prob's!
    usualls no other prog's running in background, incl Antivirus s/w
    yes, discs are memorex 48x, and im only writing at 12x, but it wont even write at 1x
    very strange!

any ideas?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭talking_walnut

Don't have any experience with XP but I have 2000 and I think for this kinda stuff they're pretty much the same.

Do you have another cd drive in the computer?

If you do, check to see if they're both not using the same transfer mode:
    ->Device Manager
    >IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
    >Primary IDE channel
    >Advanced Settings
    (mite differ slightly in XP but probably wont)

I have a DVD drive and a CD writer in my computer and when they're both using DMA Mode I can't write CDs (but 1x ripping with DVD drive in PIO mode sucks ass:D )

I'm pretty sure that you'll want your DVD writer on DMA mode but I've no experience with them so I'm open to corrections.
    I just leave them both in DMA and change the DVD drive to PIO if I want to write a CD so I never bothered lookin for a better solution.

My advice is to try experimenting with these settings and seeing what happens.

(sorry if this post isn't very clear but it is 3.40 am, God I love holidays):D

Advertisement