Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

damn rundll32's!???

Options
  • 21-12-2003 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭

There's loads of rundll32.exe's open in my task manager and theyre eating mymemory why are they there and how do i get rid of them¬!???

Fank oo

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Could be spyware
    www.lavasoftusa.com
    or
    www.lavasoft.de
    get yourself Ad-aware
    see if that sorts it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Rundll32 is a host that executes DLLs in a similiar fashion to exe files.

Having many open could be caused by application sttempting to launch, and the launch sequence failing, and the rundlls not being released.

You can kill them by selecting to end the process.
    Cabaal could also be right - might be spyware.

It's a good idea to turn on the Windows XP firewall, and also be very careful what you choose to install from the net.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

it WAS spyware, damn spyware, I'm all paranoid now. WHAT ARE YOU LOOKING AT!!!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ah you gota love spyware, its about as helpful as spam...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭Faust

As in not very helpful at all..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

If you're on Windows XP, activate the built in firewall.

Additionally, never accept to install apps from the net via popups or anything like that. That's how this sh*t gets installed and wrecks your machine!

Advertisement