Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just installed XP. "thats weird"

Options
  • 21-12-2003 5:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭

Ive just installed XP Prof onto my PC (I had 2000 prof). I have 2 LAN ports on my motherboard (inbuilt) but only one is appearing in the network and dial up connections?. There is another connection there but its not a lan connection, its called '1394 Connection'. Its going at 400mbps ???? I'm on a 100mbps Lan.

Yesturday when I first booted into XP, I had another connection called 'Internet Gateway' which was probably my router on the Lan. (I'm on DSL). The astounding thing was that if I went into this connection it showed me how long the router was connected to the internet... I taught that was impressive as I cant even get that from the GUI on the router (D-Link DSL 504). When I disconnected that connection, the router disconnected from the ISP....

anyway, that connection is no longer available, all I have are the LAN connection and the 1394 connection, but I am able to connect to the internet even though the Gateway connection is no longer there

can anyone tell me,
    1) how to get that Gateway connection to be displayed
    2) what the 1394 connection is
    3) I heard XP does a lot of 'calling home'. Is there anything I can do to stop these things from going on in the background

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Originally posted by Unstable

2) what the 1394 connection is

Its your firewire card / port.
    You can use firewire for networking in XP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭PcP

3) I heard XP does a lot of 'calling home'. Is there anything I can do to stop these things from going on in the background
    XP antispy is a small program that stops these services for you. You can get it here

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Two LAN ports on a mother board !
    (Is it a server ???) - XP should have picked up both of them - if you can still boot into 2K have a look at device manager to see what drivers/names it used.

DSL router - shouldnt that be on all the time ? - if not it will only be on while traffic going through it - are you sure XP isn't telling how long you are connected to the router ?

XPantispy :)
    and while you are at it get a better firewall than the built one and all the other apps in the stickies here and on the security forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

Thanks for help, I didnt know you could do networking via Firewire!
    Two LAN ports on a mother board !
    (Is it a server ???) - XP should have picked up both of them - if you can still boot into 2K have a look at device manager to see what drivers/names it used.

DSL router - shouldnt that be on all the time ? - if not it will only be on while traffic going through it - are you sure XP isn't telling how long you are connected to the router ?

No its not a server, its an Asus motherboard A7n8x that I bought recently. I dont really need two Lan ports, I only have one connected to the router but it would be nice to have 2.

BTW, the 'Internet Gateway' icon has reapeared in the network connections??? Anyway this is what the status is saying about the gateway:

status connected
    duration 18:34:44
    speed: 512

I usually leave the router on all the time. My lan connection is saying I'm up 21mins 100mpbs, thats how long ago i started the pc up I guess. Its cool having this router status icon, its just I dunno how long its going to stay there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Unstable

btw, why is there no administrator account? I used to log in as administrator on win2k, but this is logging me in as my name

1 more thing, is there a way to show the 'show desktop' icon the now gone Quick launch area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

You have full advantages of the administrator AFAIK when your listed in the accounts (in control panel) as "Computer administrator".

However there IS a separate administrator account but it only appears when you boot in safe mode.

To get the quick launch back just right click on the taskbar and select it "Toolbars".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The smart thing to do is go into admin tools > Computer Manager(or whatever) rename the Admin account to your name and set a password for it, reboot and use this account. Also disable guest

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Patrick
    However there IS a separate administrator account but it only appears when you boot in safe mode.
    Pressing Ctrl-alt-delete twice at the welcome screen (in normal mode) should bring up the old login. Or there's an option in control panel to have this as default. administrator should work from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

btw, why is there no administrator account? I used to log in as administrator on win2k, but this is logging me in as my name

this took me quite some time to figure out! :)

basically, when you install XP Pro you're asked for a user name to give an aco**** to (the first account on the PC -- well, second after admin)

if you delete this account and all other accounts on the pc and reboot you'll be given the option to login as administrator - it's a fall back incase you delete all the accounts by accident, also, it stops you from logging in as 'root' and ****ing things up royally after day 2

but i suppose the account you create on install will have admin rights so you could still do it anyway :)

long story short, if no other accounts exist, you can login as admin, otherwise, it's hidden!

Daniel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Anyone know any more about this 'Internet Gateway' thingy??. I got it intermittently while setting up a DLink 604+, but it seems to have dissapeared now....

When it WAS there, double clicking on it caused it to freeze, with some message about trying to connect (sorry, can't be more specific than that).

AG

• Advertisement
Advertisement