Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looks like Game are taking Gamestop seriously

Options
  • 21-12-2003 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭

I've just picked up Rogue Squardron 3 on the Gamecube there for €30. This, after getting Rainbox Six 3 (Xbox) and Prince of Persian (PS2) for €30 in the last two weeks. Admittedly you had to buy them with something else at the time, but for Rainbox Six 3, I just got a magazine with it. Their prices have improved drastically recently and even their second hand stuff seems to have come down by roughly €10 all round.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭DiscoStu

the raindbow 6 and pop deals seem to be ubisoft offering big discounts to retailers in an effort to steal even a fraction of ea's thunder(look at play.com and you will see some of ubisofts newest titles dirt cheap). tbh ubisoft christmas line up is _much_ better with prince of persia being one of the best games ive played in months and xiii is quite a bit of fun considering its a bog standard fps.

i ahvent seen any change in their second hand prices(driving emotion type s for €50, the bouncer €40 and dropship €40 just today).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

Well it's the first Real competition that Game have had in a while, instead of just some dingey store or a basement in a record shop they have a competitor who is as serious about games and gaming as them.
    They'd be idiots not to take them as a serious threat to the market. This coming year is what's going to decide the market leader in this case. If Game remain complacent then they'll loose ther edge or any kind of lead in the market, it all translates as good news for consumers thou. Should be fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Your kidding yourself i'm afraid. Ireland is the land of duopolys where competition only seems to exist. The reality is very different.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by Lex_Diamonds
    Your kidding yourself i'm afraid. Ireland is the land of duopolys where competition only seems to exist. The reality is very different.

Agreed – On my last visit I nearly started laughing at the prices in all of the games shops.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I think that "Software Zone" opposite the UGC cinema on *coughdjkfd&$%$ street might be worth checking out for prices; I recall 5-10euro difference on Hidden and Dangerous2. Also I think Smyths also has good prices. It pays to shop around ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by regeneration
    Also I think Smyths also has good prices.

Something to do with the first place you were talking about been named the Software Zone @ Smiths?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Is it ? ah ok, couldn't recall whether it was a toymaster, world of wonder or smyths that Software Zone was beside. But yeah - check them out.

Basically lads, shop around; don't just walk into GAME, buy it anyway cos you're too lazy to check anywhere else. ;) Oh and if you have a student card/student friend, flaunt it - 10% is always worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭Big Ears

well every1 knows the best prices is play .com pre orderd games often come real cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Arken Thell

Well ther's no such thing as perfect competition, it's an economic theory. what i am trying to ppoint out is that Game are going to have to do soemthing about prices and service delivery in order to maintain competitive advantage(what minimal advantage they do have) that's all.
    i'm well aware of the fac that in Ireland there is minimal competition but I'm glad to see a new entrant to the market place who may change thngs a bit in the industry set up adn hopefully this compition (however minimal) will be advanteagious tothe customer in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think companies are finally seeing the profit that can be made from the games market in ireland.

Xtra-vision who alreayd sell games have started making dedicated game stores in there store called Xtra-GAME (very original ) and now take trade-in's. I'd like to see stores like smyths start trade-in's aswell if they don't already (haven't bought outta one since finding play.com).

Lets hope the market increases a little bit and the stores realise they have online competition and try to beat those prices.

Probably won't happen in Ireland but worth a hope!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by super_furry
    I've just picked up Rogue Squardron 3 on the Gamecube there for €30. This, after getting Rainbox Six 3 (Xbox) and Prince of Persian (PS2) for €30 in the last two weeks. Admittedly you had to buy them with something else at the time, but for Rainbox Six 3, I just got a magazine with it. Their prices have improved drastically recently and even their second hand stuff seems to have come down by roughly €10 all round.

Are those prices from Game or Gamestop? I just got Rogue Squadron 3 for €29.99 in Game, no strings attached.

Game regulary have seasonal promotions, during last summer they had nearly every PC game for €39.99 or less, as part of their summer sale.

Matt

I picked up Rogue Squadron 3 for £20 from their site last week. one of those "Once its gone, its gone" promo's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Originally posted by clownboy
    I picked up Rogue Squadron 3 for £20 from their site last week. one of those "Once its gone, its gone" promo's.

€28.46 then? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

...and then I went into Game today.

A sale. Ah yes I thought, more paltry 10% reductions...

Not so. Soul Calibur 2 on XBox for 30 euro?

:) Naturally I bought it. Good job Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

I have also seen an improvement in GAME and it is a pleasing sign, hope they keep it up. Can't even decide whether Gamespot surpasses GAME now.

Generally, they both suck for key new releases, would head to play.com if you're looking for that brand new title. But for secondhand games in Gamestop and the odd markdown in GAME, they do have moments where you feel satisfied over your video/computer game purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

max payne 2 €30 in game yesterday, about €40 in gamestop on monday i thought that a good deal, oh its for the pc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Soul Calibur 2 on GC not reduced though *stomps foot*

Kirby,

They won't drop prices on games like that for the cube. They know the cube doesn't get loads of titles released so they'd get massive sales from a title on that rather then other consoles.

You can pick it up from Gamestop for €50 though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭smiaras

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement