Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What are the steps to buy car from someonelse ?

Options
  • 21-12-2003 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying a car from someonelse here in Ireland. As I am not Irish, I am not sure what the steps are.

What papers do we need ? Where do I register the car in my name, when can I drive the car, etc ... ? Any idea of the delays as well (can I buy a car and drive it in 2 days ?)

Thanks a lot in advance for your abswers.

:)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I assume you are fully licenced. Make sure this licence is valid here.
    You will need to be insured on the new motor. Get yourself the golden pages and ring as many companies & brokers for the best price. Many will cover you straight away but if the licence is not Irish then this may not apply.
    With regard to buying the car;
    * get a change of ownership form from your local garda station. Both you and the current owner fill this out. This will be sent off with the ownership document (in theory by the current owner) to your local authority IIRC.
    * get someone to look the car once over - the car will be sold as seen so you want to spot potential problems before you hand over the money.
    * check to see what tax and NCT are left. If there is no NCT then think about walking away.
    * only buy the car off someone who you don't know at their house. (Make sure it is their house) - try to get a landline number also. If in doubt walk away.
    * check the service history. If there is none then ask why and possibly think about walking away.

have a look here (www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The European Information Centre on Upper O'Connell Street (between the Savoy Conema and Burger King) provides a leaflet on what you need to do when buying a secondhand car. I'm not sure if there is a web version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭ZeFrog

thx a mil KB!

I got the car today.

I don t think I need the change owner ship form as the car is registered after 1993 , i need to send out the vehicle licensing cert instead.

I won t be insured until i get my French insurance sent out here (fax won t do) and this will have to be translated.

Other prb, The seller couldn t provide the NCT paper , although the NCT sticker on the car shows oct 2005, I think I ll need the nct official paper, for the next taxes ..

cheers,

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Originally posted by ZeFrog
    Other prb, The seller couldn t provide the NCT paper , although the NCT sticker on the car shows oct 2005, I think I ll need the nct official paper, for the next taxes ..

You will need it when you are taxing the car...the NCT would have been done recently so the seller should have it.

Check out the FAQ's on www.ncts.ie
    17. What will I do if I lose my NCT Certificate or NCT Report?
    For a fee of €12.70 (£10.00), you can replace your lost NCT Certificate. You must go to your local Garda station and obtain an RF134 form, which must be stamped and signed by the Gardaí. Send this completed form back, along with either your windscreen disc or NCT Certificate, whichever part you may still hold, and a cheque or postal order payable to NCTS Ltd., to: The Test Certificate Administrator, NCTS Limited, Lakedrive 3026, Citywest Business Campus, Naas Road, Dublin 24.

For a replacement NCT Report, simply write in with car registration number, make and model and owner details along with the €12.70 (£10.00) fee to the Test Certificate Administrator. These fees may be subject to change.

Advertisement