Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fan Noise Problem On Heatsink Agp

• 21-12-2003 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I WAS WONDERING IF ANY ONE COULD HELP ME OR TELL ME WHAT TO DO
    MY MOTHERBOARD HAS A FAN ATTACHED TO AN 8X AGP HEATSINK BUT FOR SEVERAL
    WEEKS THE FAN HAS BEEN MAKING NOISE (REALLY ANNOYING) I TRIED TO REMOVE AND ATTACH IT AGAIN TO SEE IF IT WAS LOOSE AND HITING SOMETHING BUT THE NOISE IS STILL THERE COMES AND GOES NOW AND AGAIN .
    CAN ANY ONE TELL CAN I REMOVE IT OR REPLACE IT AND IF REMOVED DOES IT MAKE MUCH DIFFERENCE TO THIS SMALL HEATSINK BUILT ON TO THE MAINBOARD. THE GRAPHIC CARD IS A GEFORCE 4 MX SE-T 8X AGP . JUST CURIOUS TO WHAT TEMP DOES A 2600XP ATHLON THOROUGHBRED AVERAGE AT AND WHATS THE MAX TEMP TOO

THANK YOU

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I'd say you can get away with removing it. I know people who had to remove little fans similar to that from the motherboard as they were too loud. Basically, plug it out, then monitor the tempreture of the motherboard. If anything starts going over 50C, then you need to reattach it. Your chip should definately be running less thatn 40C, but 50C and less is safe enough. If its going over 55 something is wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    I'd say you can get away with removing it. I know people who had to remove little fans similar to that from the motherboard as they were too loud. Basically, plug it out, then monitor the tempreture of the motherboard. If anything starts going over 50C, then you need to reattach it. Your chip should definately be running less thatn 40C, but 50C and less is safe enough. If its going over 55 something is wrong.
    No, it's not ok to just remove it :eek:
    I presume you mean the Northbridge fan/hs so your best option is to replace it. The Zalman NB-47J is a passive nb cooler so silence is guaranteed. If it's an Abit IS7 or IC7, you can rma the board for an upgraded fan but I've heard they get noisy too :(

Advertisement