Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats cheap DVD-Rs - TO HELL WITH THEM I SAY!

• 21-12-2003 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭

Everyone! Stay the hell away from the new Peats DVDs that they're selling for 29 euros.

They used to sell yellow-topped datawrites and they were fine, cheap but fine.

Now they're selling some brand called QP (whose website as printed on the actual DVDs themselves doesn't even work...it's a holidng site!) and they're awful.

They advertised as 4X speed but THEY WILL ONLY BURN AT 2X SPEED!!!!

Also, most of the recent burns I done with them have all failed at 100%. Granted the finished product still works in my player but in other players they've done weird things like skipping through all the chapters quickly!

Buy your discs online as you can get them shipped from Norther Ireland for 30 euros and it gets cheaper the more you buy so screw Peats and get them elsewhere.

Arghghg! It's so annoying having all these 2 speed discs!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

You should just stick with brands you know like verbatim or DataLifePlus. I would only buy ones that use AZO dye aswell - thanks for the heads up though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Jorinn

Originally posted by chabsey
    Everyone! Stay the hell away from the new Peats DVDs that they're selling for 29 euros.

They used to sell yellow-topped datawrites and they were fine, cheap but fine.

Now they're selling some brand called QP (whose website as printed on the actual DVDs themselves doesn't even work...it's a holidng site!) and they're awful.

They advertised as 4X speed but THEY WILL ONLY BURN AT 2X SPEED!!!!

Also, most of the recent burns I done with them have all failed at 100%. Granted the finished product still works in my player but in other players they've done weird things like skipping through all the chapters quickly!

Buy your discs online as you can get them shipped from Norther Ireland for 30 euros and it gets cheaper the more you buy so screw Peats and get them elsewhere.

Arghghg! It's so annoying having all these 2 speed discs!
    YEah, the datawrites seemed to have batch problems with them though, I burnt 7 coasters off one spindle but all the others were fine.

Thanks for the head up btw.

Not worth ordering from the north unleess your buying loads though, which i might do once I get my tax back.

OUt of interest also, what burner are did you use those discs with?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

whats the website for up the north?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

This is the website for the place up North. I've ordered once from them and everything worked out fine:

LINK

I am using an LG4040B and have to say that it has burned everything I've thrown at it so far and they have all worked bar 1 disc. Obviously those stupid QP discs only burn at 2X and a lot of them give errors at 100% but they all work in my player so I can just about live with the 20 or so I have left.

The 1 disc that failed was a datawrite and it failed at about 90% so I was quite annoyed. I popped the disc out and could actually see where the disc had been dented on the outer edge and this had obviously compacted parts of the outer areas and it was exactly there that the burn had failed (you could see it). Thankfully none of the others were like that.

Regarding only using good media, that's probably a good idea but I have to say I'm well impressed with the burner I have and it's ability to burn onto anything. I've tried those yellow datawrites, these stupid QP things and a bunch of utterly generic no-label discs and they've almost all worked fine. Maybe their shelf life is less but I'm happy enough for now staying away from the more expensive media.

Oh yeah, I noticed that if you order those Princo ICE DVDs from that shop up north it comes to 30 euros incl. delivery, which is the same as Peats are charging for their crap discs. Obviously some people see the name Princo and run for the hills but I think my burner will lap them up so I'm going to order a few.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I was under the impression that peats cheap dvd-r's were for data only anyway and not for "backing-up" films

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

This is the website for the place up North. I've ordered once from them and everything worked out fine:

LINK

I am using an LG4040B and have to say that it has burned everything I've thrown at it so far and they have all worked bar 1 disc. Obviously those stupid QP discs only burn at 2X and a lot of them give errors at 100% but they all work in my player so I can just about live with the 20 or so I have left.

The 1 disc that failed was a datawrite and it failed at about 90% so I was quite annoyed. I popped the disc out and could actually see where the disc had been dented on the outer edge and this had obviously compacted parts of the outer areas and it was exactly there that the burn had failed (you could see it). Thankfully none of the others were like that.

Regarding only using good media, that's probably a good idea but I have to say I'm well impressed with the burner I have and it's ability to burn onto anything. I've tried those yellow datawrites, these stupid QP things and a bunch of utterly generic no-label discs and they've almost all worked fine. Maybe their shelf life is less but I'm happy enough for now staying away from the more expensive media.

Oh yeah, I noticed that if you order those Princo ICE DVDs from that shop up north it comes to 30 euros incl. delivery, which is the same as Peats are charging for their crap discs. Obviously some people see the name Princo and run for the hills but I think my burner will lap them up so I'm going to order a few.

im using that same burner, let us know how u get on with them cheap discs

Originally posted by Slydice
    I was under the impression that peats cheap dvd-r's were for data only anyway and not for "backing-up" films

Well the Datawrites have something like 'Data, Video and Console' written on them. And they've all worked fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 hcvti

I am using Prico printable discs and datawrite 4x yellow from www.mediawrite.ie with my NEC nd-1300 & My LG 4040b, I have not been able to write at anything more than 2x either, I have done a bit of reading about this 4x not burning at 4x and it appears to be an issue with firmware and certain disc's, neither the hardware nor the media is faulty. I read one place that some Drive makers lock out certain media to sell more of their own or to get what is called "HELLO MONEY" from the disc Makers, let them support other media at a lower speed than their own!, Well it doesnt make much odds as the discs i'm using are cheap and reliable, and a movie takes 30min or so to burn off, I dont mind the wait.

It's not a problem with Hardware or Media, it appears to be a firmware and money issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

They are pretty crap - won't burn alot of discs until you upgrade firmware (version 1.08)!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136726

Please put up info about discs/sellers here .. would be usefull rather than a bargains section

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I bought a pack of those QP discs and they were fine, perfect in fact. Burned at 4X and didnt get one coaster at all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

I've burnt a lot of these at 4x in work.. never had a problem, unfortunaly when you then go to copy stuff back off the DVDs they give CRC errors left right and centre.. they seem to be very picky about being read, and only one PC in the office will read them (out of 5 machines with DVD drives)... avoid.

Hmmm....what burners are you guys using? My LG4040B won't let me burn the QPs at anything faster than 2 speed.

I wish I could speed it up though as the faster I get through them the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by Repli
    You should just stick with brands you know like verbatim or DataLifePlus. I would only buy ones that use AZO dye aswell - thanks for the heads up though.

AZO dye?

Yahoosywotsits?

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Ro-76

I would highly recommend these guys.

They've got a huge selection of blank media, and they give details on each disc, in terms of quality, manufacturer etc.

I have been buying from them for about 3 years, ever since I had trouble with mirror-topped CDRs. I have never had a problem, and have had about 5 coasters in that time period. I now buy 4X Datasafe Ritek DVD-R (G04 dye), and have had one coaster in 50 so far, and I think this was a problem with the PC crashing mid-burn, rather than a disc failure.

They are a little pricey on shipping, but overall are very good value.

DVD-Rs are a bit like CDRs when they firts came out. There were a few issues about quality,especially on cheaper discs, whch now seem to be ironed out. It's worth buying quality (not necessarily expensive) discs while these issues exist.

Ro

Saying don't touch the peats discs is a bit harsh, they seem to be gettting more yellow ones in, which are fine, no problems burn at 4x etc. but yes the QP discs are just crap, I asked one of the guys in there about them and he claimed they were same discs except just the brand is different. Yes, they perform the same in respect that a ferrari performs the same as a mini.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

I got a 10 box of packard bell's dvd+r's for something like €23 in dixons and they work fine for ps2 backups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Ritek discs. Have never ever had a single fail/coaster with them. SVP.co.uk are great (except they use GLS for shipping, blegh!), they have great prices/selection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by koneko
    Ritek discs. Have never ever had a single fail/coaster with them. SVP.co.uk are great (except they use GLS for shipping, blegh!), they have great prices/selection.

Nothing to add to this, except that they usually throw in a wee bag of sweets as well :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Peats - today - €30 for spindle of 25 Datasafe DVD-Rs. Now that's not bad.

Any bundles anywhere on DVD -/+ RW discs? Does it matter which you use? How the heck to you write to them in Nero 6?

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Any bundles anywhere on DVD -/+ RW discs? Does it matter which you use? How the heck to you write to them in Nero 6?

Not sure what you mean by bundles.

I would say it matters more what burner you have more than what media you use. If you have an NEC burner then you should be more careful about what media you buy. If you've an LG or a pioneer then you can relax a bit more. If you mean whether you should choose +R or -R then it doesn't really make any difference except that -R are generally cheaper.

Nero 6 is easy. File --> New --> DVD--> Choose DVD Video --> Copy all the relevant files into the Video_ts folder --> BURN!

That's it!

By bundle I meant pack of 5 or 20 etc.

Finally sussed the drop down CD/DVD in Nero...DOH!:o

I have a Nec at work and a U50a in my laptop. I bought one PrimeDisc DVD+RW in beyond 2000 for 4.99 just to try both drives out.

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Yes, it does matter which you use, some writers only write to + or -, and not both, the LG 404b which a lot of people seem to have is one of the more notable exceptions, it writes both. In nero 6 you need to choose dvd from the menu above the disc format, it defaults to cd seemingly.

Originally posted by Explsv_Cornflk
    I got a 10 box of packard bell's dvd+r's for something like €23 in dixons and they work fine for ps2 backups.
    Yes, but you paid 23euro for 10. Rather expensive by my reckoning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

From what I have read (Could very well be wrong) Nero is meant to produce poor results when Burning Movies.

As far as I am aware, somthing like DVD dycryptor aparently produces better results. with movies

Originally posted by Samba
    From what I have read (Could very well be wrong) Nero is meant to produce poor results when Burning Movies.

As far as I am aware, somthing like DVD dycryptor aparently produces better results. with movies

Can only go by my own experience and that is that Nero is the best product I've used. Clone DVD is nice too but sometimes says the files have errors before burning and if I burn the same files with Nero I get no errors and it works perfectly.

Dvd decryptor is just for DeCSSing the files isn't it? I don't think it has a burning component.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by Samba

DVD decryptor only rips the vobs onto the hard-drive. As Chabey said it doesn't have a burning component. Nero is a superb product. I think a good combination for backing up movies is DVDdecryptor / DVDshrink / Nero.

BTW those datasafe DVD-Rs from peats work nicely (so far).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Yes it does!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It will burn images of dvd's!!!!!!!!

I always use this - really realiable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Nope, DVD decryptor has from HD to dvdrw feature from I what I am looking at here, it was just somthing i read on a tech forum, dvd burner arrived this morning so I'll be testing both, i'll post back with results.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Jorinn
    Yes, it does matter which you use, some writers only write to + or -, and not both, the LG 404b which a lot of people seem to have is one of the more notable exceptions, it writes both. In nero 6 you need to choose dvd from the menu above the disc format, it defaults to cd seemingly.

Umm I've a ND-1300a and a dual format drive in my laptop, so I guess I'm ok with either. But are DVD+RW (data) readable on all DVD Drives?

Inciddentally I wanted to burn a movie on a DVDRW which is more compatible with domestic units + or -?

Advertisement