Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats cheap DVD-Rs - TO HELL WITH THEM I SAY!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by RicardoSmith
    Inciddentally I wanted to burn a movie on a DVDRW which is more compatible with domestic units + or -?

Which is more compatible + or - seems to be a really hot debate amongst users at the moment. From my own expirences -r is but any newish DVD player should be able to read both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

DVDDecryptor does indeed burn DVDs, as well as provide the DeCSS'ing functionality.. And it does a damn fine job of the

Just change the mode to ISO/Write.

Originally posted by davidwwalsh
    I think a good combination for backing up movies is DVDdecryptor / DVDshrink / Nero.

David, just a quick question. Why would you want to use DVDdecryptor when DVDshrink does the exact same thing? I've noticed a few people mantion this but I can't figure out why. :confused:

DVDDecrypter:
    will rip the contents from the original DVD.
    will write the ripped contents back to a DVD as long as the media is less than 4.7GB.
    Does not offer compression functionality.
    Does allow you to rip to your HD, to convert to other formats, e.g. DiVX, VCD, etc (using other apps).
    Is Free. :D

DVDShrink:
    Will also rip the contents from the original DVD (not as functionality rich as DVDDecryptrer).
    Will perform compression of the media if it is larger than 4.7GB.
    Will allow you to re-author DVDs
    Does not burn DVDs.
    Is Free. :D

Nero:
    Burns DVDs.
    Costs money. (but is well worth it!)
    I got my Nero really cheap btw, by buying an OEM version from SVP, and then upgrading this to the full version. It's a great product..

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    DVDDecrypter:
    will rip the contents from the original DVD.
    will write the ripped contents back to a DVD as long as the media is less than 4.7GB.
    Does not offer compression functionality.
    Does allow you to rip to your HD, to convert to other formats, e.g. DiVX, VCD, etc (using other apps).

DVDShrink:
    Will also rip the contents from the original DVD (not as functionality rich as DVDDecryptrer).
    Will perform compression of the media if it is larger than 4.7GB.
    Will allow you to re-author DVDs
    Does not burn DVDs.

Nero:
    Burns DVDs.

The latest version of DVD Shrink will burn DVDs as long as you have Nero installed IIRC - there's a check box in the Options section to burn automatically after ripping.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Just tested out the latest cheapo DVD datasafe blanks that Peats are flogging off. Used the -r's for 30 yoyos.

They work fine for movies, i'm converting all my vids to DVD atm and I've burned six of them in a row at 4x in an LG GSA4040B with the latest firmware (a302)

The latest DVDshrink 3.1, is also integrated with Nero to burn after shrinking them down.

Nero

SteM/NeroTheExtreme: The latest DVDshrink 3.1, is also integrated with Nero to burn after shrinking them down.
    But Nero actually does the burning. Fat lot of good if you don't have Nero :D
    NeroTheExtreme: and I've burned six of them in a row at 4x in an LG GSA4040B with the latest firmware (a302)
    Burning them is fine, but have you watched them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Yep, also backed up two movies and watched them from start to finish. Tested on the Sony standalone player and played without a hitch.

Bear in mind, these aren't the QP ones. They've a different brand in now.
    Nero

Originally posted by Krusty_Clown
    But Nero actually does the burning. Fat lot of good if you don't have Nero :D

Yeah, but the really nice thing with DVD Shrink now that Nero works along site it is you can pretty much copy a DVD with one click. As long as you have a DVD reader and a DVD Writer you can load up both drives, click back up all and when you come back later the DVD is there waiting for you. I find this really handy for doing discs overnight or while I'm at work during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Originally posted by SteM
    David, just a quick question. Why would you want to use DVDdecryptor when DVDshrink does the exact same thing? I've noticed a few people mantion this but I can't figure out why. :confused:

DVD decryptor does a better job decrypting than dvdshrink, that's the reason.

From the dvdshrink website:
    "Once in a while, DVD Shrink might not be able to decrypt and/or rip a particular DVD.
    In these rare cases, using DVD Decrypter or a similar "ripper" usually solves the problem."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

dammit, thats the second time I've gone into peats looking for the datawrite dvdr's....

SteM: Yeah, but the really nice thing with DVD Shrink now that Nero works along site it is you can pretty much copy a DVD with one click. As long as you have a DVD reader and a DVD Writer you can load up both drives, click back up all and when you come back later the DVD is there waiting for you. I find this really handy for doing discs overnight or while I'm at work during the day.

Hmm, That is handy! How long does the whole thing take you? (average).

Depends on whether I'm reauthoring or doing the whole disc, but 3 or 4 hours on average for the ripping and burning combined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

This is what I do (and time) .. I only ever rip the main movie (usually get rid of extra's)

Rip DVD -> HDD (using dvddecryptor)
    12-15mins depending on size

HDD -> shrink to size
    Using dvd2one.130.exe (10-15mins)
    note I only use dvd2one if the files need to be shrunk (I know this by using dvdshrink for file sizes)
    otherwise I use ifoedit -> 5mins

Two choices here :
    1) Create an Image and use dvddecryptor to burn Image
    5-10mins for image and 15mins for burning (at 4x)

2) Use nero - 15mins

Overall process avg 45mins

Just sent looking for dvd2one and it's €39.99 :dunno:

Seems a bit steep, will have to try before i buy I guess.

I got it for free :cool: - the wonders of the interweb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

anyone know where you can buy the data write dvd-r's in Dublin? Peats are never in stock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Datawrite or Datasafe?

Peats will generally only get one type in at a time I think. I haven't tried the datasafes but as far as getting other datawrites, you're better off using the net as anything else in Dublin will be overpriced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

Can anyone help me. I bought 10 DVD+r for €15 before Christmas (in Peats incidentally). Tried burning about 4 but they all failed to complete writing. Recently I bought Verbatim dvd+r and this time they will burn but not verify 100%. I use Nero to burn and verify the disc. If the verification fails does that always mean the disc is corrupt? I'm using a Philips dvd+r SDVD6004 in my laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Anyone know about the quality of the cheap DVD's sold in the shop to the left of Smyth's Toy Shop? Its around the corner from Peats. I usually buy my cheap CD's there (100 for EUR30), and I saw a pack of DVD's there. Didn't see the price, but they're the ones in a see-though package.

• Advertisement

they are called maplin
    Quality ain't the mai-west - but ok

In peats Datasafe are very good quality - they are Ritek G04 dye - which is regarded by most as one(if not the) best around

Datawrite can be dodgy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Originally posted by Linoge
    Can anyone help me. I bought 10 DVD+r for €15 before Christmas (in Peats incidentally). Tried burning about 4 but they all failed to complete writing. Recently I bought Verbatim dvd+r and this time they will burn but not verify 100%. I use Nero to burn and verify the disc. If the verification fails does that always mean the disc is corrupt? I'm using a Philips dvd+r SDVD6004 in my laptop.

Failing verification does not mean you'll always have a screwed up movie (assuming you're burning a movie). It can mean that when you try to copy that disc again then you might have problems.

I'm not familiar with the burner you're using but my first guess would be that that is where your problem lies.

Check out www.dvdrhelp.com and read all about your burner and the best media to use with it. dvdrhelp

Advertisement