Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hole in my exhaust!!

Options
  • 22-12-2003 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭

Oh man, it's noisy!! I was leaving work on Friday and the thing just popped, and it's now so noisy that I can't drive it. A small hole appeared about a month ago and the guys I brought it to (The New Gem in Ranelagh) said that they'll try to fix it but if it doesn't work I'll need a new exhaust, which will cost €200 + fitting. They managed to fix it, but only temporarily, and now it's worse than it was.

My question is - is there an easy way out of this? I drive a Honda Shadow SRX-90, and there's a steel plate that sits on top of the exhaust which rattles against it, causing the hole. The guys in the New Gem put a sort of steel clip on it, which I can see and probably move around a little bit.

If fixing it myself isn't a good option (I'm not very mechanically minded) can someone recommend another motorbike repair shop near Blackrock, Rathmines, Ranelagh, etc?? I'd be willing to travel on the bike to the shop, but that's all I'm going to use it for until I can sort something out.

Cheers!

Si.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I always found the guys in the New Gem to be quiet good. Friendly, normally expensive, and usually good at getting the job done when they say they will.

Dunno about your bike, but replacing the exhaust is usually a very simple process.

As for the steel plate - get some of those pritt pads (you know the tiny foam pads, sticky on both sides that are impossible to remove fully), only remove the cover on one side, and stick them to the underside of the steel plate (not onto the exhaust, they'll melt off and leave scorch marks).
    If the problem is what I think it is, that should work fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah they've been good both times I went to them, but they're now closed until the new year, and weren't even open last Saturday!! They said the exhaust takes about 10 days to arrive once ordered, so I wanted to get it ordered quickly so that I can have it ready shortly after I start work again, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen now.

I'll give your suggestion a go once I get the new exhaust, so hopefully it won't happen again.

Ta :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

City spares, some used bubble gum, an industrail welding kit?!
    Have you a picture of the hole, is it large, although since it's the second time you've had this problem with the same hole, it must be getting kinda serious by now.
    101.jpeg102.jpeg
    I found these on www.holtsauto.com there might be one or two more variations on the same product there, since getting stuff done at this time of year is kinda hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I can see where the hole is, but at the moment it's still covered by the clip the guys in the New Gem used. These look great - after Christmas I'll see if I can find any and sort out my problem on the cheap. Cheers! :)

Advertisement