Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

wifi and petrol station safety

• 22-12-2003 10:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering....you know how you aren't supposed to use a mobile phone near a petrol pump? What's the deal with wi-fi devices? Can anyone point me to any url's on safety compliancy?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Interestingly, there is zip research to show that there is any safety implications of using a mobile phone in a petrol station ... it's an unfounded fear thing created in America!

I believe that there is a new set of legislation that will fine you if you use a mobile in a petrol station coming into effect soon.

BTW why would you want to use awi-fi device in a petrol station??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by BrianD

Not me...I work for a 'Large networking company' and a customer is a petrol station owned by a large supermarket chain in the UK, they were wondering if there was a risk using handheld wifi devices on the forecourt.

Found something on snopes about it....seems like there's been no incident of mobile phones causing a fire in a petrol station, and no one has proven it is even possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

mobile phones use microwaves which in theory could set petrol alight.. but as you have said this isnt proven..

wi-fi doesnt use microwaves... it uses radio-waves.. just like 2fm and the likes... not harmful...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mobile Phones are banned in Petrol stations because they interfere with the pump mechanism in some pumps, causing an incorrect readout. Such interference is rare. However, the oil companies are interested in protecting their profits. If people relised they could get cheaper petrol by making a call, and putting the phone beside the pump, there'd be trouble.

Originally, the signs just said do not use phones at the pump, and it was not included as part of the fire risk. But people assumed there was some fire risk. And so gradually, somehow, fear has spread that mobile phones can ignite petrol. They can't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Anyone watch Brainiac on Sky One recently where they tested whether mobile phones were potentially a fire risk around petrol?

They soaked the inside of a caravan with petrol and put all the TV crew's mobiles (about 10) inside the caravan and called all the mobiles at the same time to see if the caravan would explode. Nothing happened.

What they did discover is that static electricity is more of a danger around petrol stations. A single static spark from clothing would be enough to ignite petrol fumes and cause a massive explosion.

They demostrated this by connecting an electric wire to the caravan full of petrol, getting someone wearing nylon to stand in a basin of water (to prevent them from being earthed) and having them generate static by jogging on the spot. As soon as the guy put his finger near the electric wire connected to the caravan, a spark could be seen jumping from his finger to the cable and then the caravan exploded!

It was a pretty cool experiment if I do say so myself.

viking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by viking
    Anyone watch Brainiac on Sky One recently where they tested whether mobile phones were potentially a fire risk around petrol?
    I was just about to edit my post to include that :D

I thought it wasn't real (ie that the spark and explosion were faked) until I watched it over again, and saw the other stuff that they did.

So conclusion eth0_ - it's perfectly safe :)

Originally posted by viking

What they did discover is that static electricity is more of a danger around petrol stations. A single static spark from clothing would be enough to ignite petrol fumes and cause a massive explosion.

Wow! That's nuts! http://www.snopes.com/autos/hazards/static.asp
    I don't think I believe the thing about mobiles interfering with petrol read outs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

I suppose there could be some problem with electronic pumps. However, I would well believe that petrol retailers would try and make a "safety issue" out of mobile usage if it was affecting their bottom line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by BrianD
    Interestingly, there is zip research to show that there is any safety implications of using a mobile phone in a petrol station ... it's an unfounded fear thing created in America!

My company works very closely with the oil industry, from building the oil wells to making the pumps in the stations. There actually has been research about a few incidents of explosions at petrol pumps when people are on mobile calls.

The conclusion was that it was static not the mobile that caused the explosions. They are researching it more though. Since that keeps them in a job. :)

Lots of Petrol Stations are becoming WiFi enabled for long distance commuters who want to check email every few 100 miles. So they pull in and check email or browse the web on a fast connection. 3G isn't here yet ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by Third_Echelon

wi-fi doesnt use microwaves... it uses radio-waves.. just like 2fm and the likes... not harmful...

WiFi is Microwave. It operates at the same frequency. Around the 2.5ghz range. Thats why your Microwave oven will interfere with WiFi. Thats why water is such a problem for 2.5ghx flavour of WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

Microwaves ARE radiowaves also called Electromagnetic radiation, Light is Electromagnetic radiation too

here's a spectrum chart
    http://www.adec.edu/tag/spectrum.html

Petrol stations
    Fire safety
    Anything that causes a spark is a problem and Higher Powered 2 way radios present a slight spark risk because they could energize nearby metal conductors sufficiently to cause a spark. Bloody unlikely though, especially considering how well everything is earth bonded in Petrol stations.
    By higher powered I am referring to 25w or more from VHF or UHF commercial 2 way radio not the 0.2w or so from a mobile phone or the 0.1w Max from WiFi devices !

EMC issues with pumps

I have heard that some older electronic pumps were sensitive to nearby radio transmissions which would cause erroneous readings, I doubt this is the case with more modern pumps. It is extremely unlikely that any correctly working pump would be sufficiently sensitive to radio waves to be affected by low power signals such as WiFi or Mobile phones.

WiFi on the forecourt should present no safety issues but all those chain smoking sales reps might ;-)

.Brendan

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by bminish
    I have heard that some older electronic pumps were sensitive to nearby radio transmissions which would cause erroneous readings
    Yeah the old pumps were affected by CB's - but CB's and Mobile chuck out much more power than WiFi (100mw EIRP max in EU - usually the cards are only 30mW about the same power as a bright LED)

If static is such a big problem - why aren't there grounding brushes on the forecourt ?

/me thinks it's to prevent people cheating

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

the only risk with mobiles in petrol stations is the fire risk , i know i worked for statoil for years , we were shown videos of people filling there cars whie on the phone , and all of a sudden they would combust

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I always thought it was because of the battery, and how that could produce a little spark when it's connected/disconnected, like if you dropped your phone and the battery popped off.

*shrug*

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by phaxx
    I always thought it was because of the battery, and how that could produce a little spark when it's connected/disconnected, like if you dropped your phone and the battery popped off.
    Wouldn't you still get that spark even if the phone was turned off ?

If they were interested in safety then pumps would not be self service - instead properly trained attendents (with no electronic or metalic objects) and in antistatic suits would fill your tank - and only after confirming that the engine ,lights , radio and other electrical stuff in the car was turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Snowbat

Originally posted by phaxx
    I always thought it was because of the battery, and how that could produce a little spark when it's connected/disconnected,

As I recall, the CENELEC-approved version of the GP900 and matching battery (for use in oil/gas industry) have a peculiar batttery terminal arrangement for exactly that reason.

http://www.bpmultipage.ie/radio/conventional/motorola6P900.htm
    http://www.bpmultipage.ie/radio/conventional/cenelec.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 480 ✭✭bminish

There's a fuel depot here in Castlebar that just sells Diesel, paraffin and home heating oil.

Please switch off Mobile phones signs are everywhere ! Somehow I suspect that it, in this case anyway has nothing to do with risk of explosion. Like most people I ignore these warning signs.

Are there ANY actual Documented cases of mobile phones causing a fire or explosion at a petrol station?

If you are worried about sparks in petrol stations then please don't look at your starter motor when it is turning. The whole mobile phone thing is an Urban legend.

.Brendan

Originally posted by demanufactured
    the only risk with mobiles in petrol stations is the fire risk , i know i worked for statoil for years , we were shown videos of people filling there cars whie on the phone , and all of a sudden they would combust

That is amazing disinformation from a company as big as statoil. I had a look into all this the other day, and could find no evidence of a mobile phone causing a fire in a petrol station.

For one, there are valves on the petrol nozzles and hoses which prevent anything getting in, like air, for instance. You can't have a fire without oxygen. Also, the tanks underground should be airless too, for the same reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

I would have thought the risk would be from ambient hydrocarbon fumes rather than liquid, and from the battery or internals of the phone rather than the exceptionally weak RF transmission. We've all read the occasional stories of a phone battery exploding without the aid of petrol.

Batteries exploding - you should be using genuine Nokia batteries.
    [note to self] lay off the sarcasm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Skanger clothing (shiny synthetic tracksuits) are also a static electricity risk, I have an idea about an interesting Brainiac experiment possibility.

M

IIRC Microwave ovens are allowed to "leak" about 10 times as much radiation at similar frequencies (one watt) as WiFi cards produce.

Muck - for a second I thought of rubbing two tracksuits together, then I realised that experiment has already been done in the back of many cars/vans.. Lets hope they had tinted glass. Now how do I get that image out of my mind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sure the pumps have valves and seals and all that, but that won't make a difference with random muppets spilling petrol all over the place. I remember when I used to work in a petrol station, there'd regularly be morons spilling petrol on the forecourt. And other morons smoking cigarettes wondering why we wouldn't turn on the pumps.

some people should be removed from the gene pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,496 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Stephen
    Shame on you for stopping Darwin in his work ;)

Petrol and similar fuel are a greater hazard in their vapour form - as you fill your tank with petrol, petrol vapour leaves the tanks, there is also the matter of spillages on the vehicle and forecourt.

People on their mobile phone will be less attentive to the filling of the tank, leading to the greater possibility of accidents. It still needs a source of ignition - the car itself (hot engine, exhaust), static electricity and cigarettes are probably greater risks than the phone. They also hog forecourt space.

However, if you do blow up the petrol station, you can't say they didn't warn you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

Skanger clothing (shiny synthetic tracksuits) are also a static electricity risk, I have an idea about an interesting Brainiac experiment possibility.

Lure them into an oxygen and petrol vapour rich environment, and then earth them?

Do you have a newsletter i can subscribe to, your ideas are fascinating to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Originally posted by Stephen
    if you'd made a point of turning on the pumps and letting them get on with it, chances are they would have been. :D

then they could have got a mention here: http://www.darwinawards.com/

darwinian theory in practice. :D

Advertisement