Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows me os help

Options
  • 22-12-2003 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭

I was trying to clean my pc up using advanced uninstaller pro 2003/Norton systemworks/ad aware and had downloaded a windows update which was 12mb.

I rebooted the pc and it goes into what lookks like safemode but there was no prior warning or safe mode indicated anywhere onscreen.The pc searches for software for my monitor but can't find it and this goes for everything on it and then says something like "SuReg Create key failed".

I have no net access and the screen is only in 16 bit and when i try to open programs it says certain dlls are missing.I have no back up cd so i'm wondering what should i do ? I have 50gb of movies and mp3 which i'd rather not loose but will if need be.

I was thinking of partitioning the drive and installing windows 98(cdrom boot) onto the non mp3 part.Is there an easier way? do i just need drivers for certain hardware/applications instead?

If i section the drive what program should i use?

I HATE ME

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

It counds like the combination of apps that you used to clean up your PC totally messed it up.

Can you use the System Restore feature of Win ME to roll back to a known state prior to messing up the system?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭NeroTheExtreme

Get a proper OS, something that isn't 9x based!!!
    Nah, just kidding mate. As Colm said, see if ya use system restore. If that fails, boot off a 98 boot disk to a command prompt (a DOS box in a window is no use to ya here, if ya don't have a bootdisk, download one from bootdisk.com).

Then type in scanreg /restore and see if you can restore from a point before all this crap happened. If all goes well, you should be able to get access to your system again. Once you've done that, back up your stuff and reinstall your OS as it sounds less than stable.

If you wanna partition your disk, get a freeware program called fips that won't destroy your data. If it appears to tricky, get partition magic. :)

Hope this helps,
    Nero

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭ronano

Thanks guys,i'll give it a go at this point the pc is just annoying me plus my sis got a zillion sim games for xmas and i don't wanna disapppoint her

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Have you not got another HDD to back everything onto?, just stick everything from your WinME HDD into another one and then re-install and dump everything back on again.

Advertisement