Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Pet Stores ?

Options
  • 22-12-2003 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭

Are there any good pet stores in the Dublin area? I've found a tiny one in the Donaghmede shopping centre, but their selection of toys leaves something to be desired. Also, does anyone have recommendations on where to get your dog groomed at?

Where's PetSmart when you need one :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

PetStop might have some things you're looking for. I don't personally like them that much, but they have a decent selection of toys :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭Falkorre

Personally, I have found petstop staff (in the blanch store at least), have not got a *clue* about animals. I was once even told, believe it or not, that a rabbit wont breed until it is about 2 years old!!! :rolleyes: needless to say, I put him right!

I was also told (without asking both times i might add), that a red eared terrapin dosent need a heated tank (when i went in to buy a heater!), and that syrian hamsters can be kept together!

I hate the place passionately, and know that the dspca have had many complaints about the place too.
    Also, the amount of dead fish left in their amazingly overcrowded tanks is disgusting :mad:

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I used to work in Petstop in Sandyford years ago (it's carpet rite now).

Have to say that for the first couple of years it was the best place I've ever worked, good pay/ condition and fantastic atmosphere.

They had a few problems with poor store managers which resulted in a massive crackdown on any element of fun. This coupled with cashflow problems meant that the canteen was first cut in half and then relocated to a box under the stairs.
    Their move to Tesco Dundrum lost them a hugh proportion of their custom.

Don't know how they're doing now - the website ( www.petstop.ie ) is horribly out of date. It's still in punts:dunno:

FYI - anybody looking for a fun job should try a pet shop.

tribble

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭paulthelegend

depends what your after?

Tropical fish , if you want selection then daves trop shop is one of the oldest and .... ill leave it at that haha his tanks are always filthy but the fish are always really healthy, duno how that is :)

looking for large selection then petstops and all that are good, but dont expect advice or a smile haha

I said before in a post that the people in boardwalk pets just down from the millennium bridge are my local :) like its a small shop compared to pet stop but it has great selection and basically they have had the same staff since i started going there, 4-5 years ago :) so they really know there stuff and also are good at ordering in things that i cant find anywhere else

well hope that helps
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Breffni House in Dundrum, near Bird Avenue. Excellent, well-informed, nice people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Oh, other good stores: the one in Patrick Street in Dun Laoghaire - really animal-minded people.

There's one in Camden Street which is handy for the buses, so it's a good place if you're on the route and have to carry heavy bags of food, etc.

And, not a pet shop, but handy for animal feed, the Scalp garage on the Dublin-to-Enniskerry road sells it.

Murtagh's in Blackhall Place is a farm supplies place and is handy for things like big bags of wood shavings, cheap dried pig's ears (treats for the dog) and hardware like spades and chicken wire and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Try www.pet-bliss.com they have tons of stuff or petshoponline.
    If you haven't got a credit card to buy online check out the 3v disposable credit cards they are really handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

There is a pet shop in swords which I found pretty good. Its in the plaza complex.

Or the one in coolock vilage beside the "sheaf of wheat" is good too...

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

luckat wrote:
    Breffni House in Dundrum, near Bird Avenue. Excellent, well-informed, nice people.

I second that but if you're in Killester it's a bit far away - I find www.petshoponline.ie (or .com not sure) very good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 pawsdog

Banned - If you want to advertise contact an admin for rates.
    AND READ THE CHARTER!

B

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

just received my first order from www.zooplus.ie today - they've lots of good stuff but the delivery isn't exactly swift and if you're looking for silly pet clothes & some toys too have a look at www.partipoodlepetsupplies.com they deliver very quickly (but then with the delivery charges they have they'd want to) there's a good Australian site too for wormers & flea treatments etc, but can't for the life of me remember the name.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hearing great things abotu zooplus.ie dying to order from them but have to wait for santa to deliver some cash first lol.
    They haven't a massive selection but they stuff they do have is good.

Advertisement