Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeff Buckley tribute night...

Options
  • 22-12-2003 3:04pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭

... was anyone else as unimpressed with last night as me? in all fairness musically there was very little reference to Buckley whatsoever, don't get me wrong the line up of artists was top notch, but it could have been anybody they were playing for, i think there was 10 of his songs played - i did leave halfway through nina hy, so i prob did miss some but up until then immensely let down

granted there was the odd anecdote from mary buckley but nothing that came close to vindicating the E20 entry fee, i will say nina hynes - you're amazing.

if the elliot smith tribute night thats rumoured to be organised for janurary is anywhere as disappointing as last night, then all shall feel my wrath and by wrath i mean wrath!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gracie

when is this rumoured elliott smith tribute night rumoured for? its sounds interesting. and no doubt, terribly depressing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭lamda

Tribute nights... I just don't get the point of them at all....

Anyone?:confused:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

elliot smith night is rumoured to be at end of jan/start of feb, but don't hold your breath, and the venue is whelans/village.

and as for the point if them , i think they can be very good, Elliot smith ones in america were run with all proceeds going to charity and i thinks its a nice way for other artists to say ' hey this guy/girl deserves to be remembered'

but thats just the ramblings of a lonely goat at christmas,

bring on new years and whelans a shirt i really shouldn't wear,

g

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 gracie

yeh all the elliott smith tribute nights organised in America (and there have been quite a few) have been in aid of the charity set up by his family to help abused children, so there is a point to them. and especially since he just died, its just people getting together and saying, **** that was **** that he died but his music was great. and if this were an elliott smith board, you'd all be crucified for spelling it with only one T!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

really hope the tribute night does happen, Whelans or Village.
    If it does go ahead do you think the proceeds will go to charity, same as the US?

Tribute nights can be brilliant but if its done a bit shabby then there'll be hell to pay...or maybe just tears...:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭The Weatherman

The Elliott Smith one over here isn't going to have the same big names as the ones in the U.S. They had Beck, Beth Orton and Papa M i believe. The only Irish musician i can think would do it would be Ollie Cole. Is there anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mydarkstar

Cant think of anyone else who would do it, but Ollie said last night that if it goes ahead then he'll be doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭memaeve

I'd definitely go to it if Ollie were doing it.

Oh, and happy new year everyone!!
    xxx me

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

apologies gracie for the missing t - i needed it for the t in pants, i figured everyone would still know who i was talking about but if i sacrificed it from pants you get pans and that's make no sense - go figure.

happy nude years all round by the way

Advertisement