Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

avi to mpeg

• 22-12-2003 4:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭

i have some Avi files that i want to be able to play on my DVD player. is there any utility that converts avi to mpg?

thanks

gar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

tmpeg would spring to mind,
    you'l find lots of tools/guides for what you want to do at www.dvdrhelp.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Serialkiller
    tmpeg would spring to mind,
    you'l find lots of tools/guides for what you want to do at www.dvdrhelp.com

Indeed TMPEGenc is the only tool to use. Remember Gar to put the Avi's on DVD you'll have to encode to MPEG2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Get TMPGenc and DVD2SVCD

DVD2SVCD will automate the conversion for you. Templates for VCD, SVCD and DVD.
    Will convert you avi for you too.

You have 30days trail with MPEG2 (DVD)
    Mpeg1 has no such limitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

just one thing about VCD's and SVCD's.

I have never created a fully standard SVCD and they always play back perfectly.

I use NON-standard resolutions and non-standard audio, but it works. I do that so i can have some low bitrate mono audio (usually 96kbps mono) so that it doesn't sound like crap.

Test out various settings to see what works best for you.

Your milage may vary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I have never created a fully standard SVCD and they always play back perfectly.

I made a couple of SVCDs and they played perfectly on my PC, but when my friend popped it into his DVD, the audio was laggin behing a split second - not a big deal, but noticeable.

I used TMPGenc and left the settings on default - do you guys think i should mess with the resolution and settings -or what could be the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭satchmo

Doesn't Nero make VCDs from AVIs? Use the wizard and create a video CD, that should work. My CDR drive is on the fritz so I can't check, but I seem to remember doing it before. It's much more straightforward than messing around with encoder settings too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

you can drag and drop stuff onto nero, and i believe it encodes to the correct compliatn settings, but that doesn't always give you the bets looking video quality. Also, you may have to pay for that feature

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Originally posted by Ancient1
    I made a couple of SVCDs and they played perfectly on my PC, but when my friend popped it into his DVD, the audio was laggin behing a split second - not a big deal, but noticeable.

I used TMPGenc and left the settings on default - do you guys think i should mess with the resolution and settings -or what could be the problem?

You can get audio lag sometimes when you use TMPGenc to encode sound as well as video. TMPG is shíte at encoding audio and you should never use it. You should use virtual dub to encode your audio (to a WAV file). It's easy just load your Avi into Vdub - select audio - full processing mode - audio conversion (48KHZ for DVD) - audio compression - none. Select file - sav wav and Vdub will save the avi sound as a Wav file. You can use Bsweet to change the Wav file to AC3 to burn to DVD. When you encode the video with TMPGenc just select the video only not audio.

Get TMPGenc and DVD2SVCD

DVD2SVCD will automate the conversion for you. Templates for VCD, SVCD and DVD.
    Will convert you avi for you too.

You have 30days trail with MPEG2 (DVD)
    Mpeg1 has no such limitation.

Why? If Bomb has a DVD writer all he needs to do is encode Avi's to MPEG2 with TMPGenc. Then authour with Ulead or TMPGenc DVD author (my person choice) and then burn to DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Originally posted by daveg
    Why? If Bomb has a DVD writer all he needs to do is encode Avi's to MPEG2 with TMPGenc. Then authour with Ulead or TMPGenc DVD author (my person choice) and then burn to DVD.

I suggested it because it's freeware and automates alot of the steps involved....like pulldown for film sources and chapters and audio with besweet (like you already sugested but only mpa....no ac3!:( ). Also uses AVIsynth which is faster at frame serving and you will not have to convert between colourspaces. Ifoedit then to make the vobs from video/audio. I was thinking it might be easier for Bomb this way.
    TMPGenc DVD author is useful for making menus alright.

I personally do all the steps manually. Quaility over speed for me. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

audio lag sometimes when you use TMPGenc to encode sound as well as video

i'll keep that in mind - will try Vdub. Cheers daveg

as far as i remember, i've always had to convert all wma and avi files into mpeg before using nero to create a vcd. I could be wrong, but i think nero is sometimes quite "picky" in terms of letting you mix formats and standardize/convert/burn.

• Advertisement
Advertisement