Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dell modem issue

Options
  • 22-12-2003 4:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭

Has anybody else noticed the huge amount of people who seem to have problems with modems in dell desktops. Or more to the point does anybody know why ......
    I yhink maybe that they ship v.90 modem wih thier machines (and irish isps work at v92) , i know that you add as string to alter this but it still seems that
    Dells are a huge problem Any insight or idead would be great happy crimbo ./

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

I'm working for an unnamed ISP at the moment and we get quite a few customers calling in with problems from Dell's v92 modems.
    Dell sell v92 modems as standard in all their systems now.
    If you want a v90 modem you have to pay extra, a colleague of mine was quoted something over €100 for one, which is pretty ridiculous.
    I've even had a rep from Dell on the phone to me about their modems.
    I informed him that no ISP in the country supports v92 and that i doubted that any would be in the near future, his response contained the following "oh fùck" and "we only sell v92 modems".
    There is a modem string, at+ms=v90, which can help a lot of people but then there are those for whom it doesn't work.

Dell are obviously picking these v92's up cheap other wise they'd still be shipping v90's, which is what they should be doing anyway.

Killian

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Strange one this ! I install modems in the machines I sell which are V92 and have have not had any problems with any ISP !!!

If available disable the V.44 option as this is the only major difference between the two that will have a big effect on the connection if your ISP does not support V92.

One of the features of V92 is the ability to suspend an internet connection without hanging up in order to answer an incoming call or make an outgoing one.

This site explains it all. V92

Tinky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    Dell are obviously picking these v92's up cheap other wise they'd still be shipping v90's, which is what they should be doing anyway.

Killian

Or the ISP should upgrade to V92 which is a global Standard and has been around over a year now. UTV support V92 for months.

Alternatively the ISP should BUY a Dell modem and do some experiments to find an ideal init string to save its customers time and money........unless that ISP is Eircom.Net who are in the business of gouging their customers for their time and money.

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭K!LL!@N

How do UTV support v92 in the Republic if Eircom own all the POP's and don't have v92's installed?

Killian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Surely any v92 modem will support the major previous standards, such as v90?

Dell have a history running back over several years in the UK and Ireland of shipping large quantities of machines with defective modems. You can be fairly sure that some bean counter has decided that the money saved on the hardware more than makes up for the cost of after market support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by K!LL!@N
    How do UTV support v92 in the Republic if Eircom own all the POP's and don't have v92's installed?

Killian

Eircom owns FRIACO pops only. 1891 and 1892 pops are in house UTV .

As 25% of the modems sold in the country are Dell ones then Eircom.Net has some work to do on optimising modem strings .

M

Advertisement