Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Mouse & Pad for Gaming

• 22-12-2003 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I'm buying a new mouse and pad for use in first person shooters such as Counter-Strike, and I'd appreciate some opinions based on experience from other gamers. Obviously, swift movement and acuity are essential requirements.

The mouse I presently have in mind is the Logitech MX700. I've read good reviews about the sensors in the MX line, and its a cordless mouse. I'm also not keen on going with Microsoft again, since I've never been satisfied with my MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0. On the bad side though, I've read that the Logitech MX700 is a heavy mouse, and I've also read at least one disgruntled review from a gamer who found it too heavy for quick movement.

As for the pad, I'm probably going to go for a designer one again. I currently have an Everglide Attack Optical Smoke pad, but I find that its both too small and too high... I even bought a gel wrist rest to remedy the latter problem, but that seems to restrict movement in games.

I'm considering buying the extra-large DKT cloth pad, or the Icemat, but the range of designer pads is large and varied so I'm certainly open to suggestions otherwise...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

I've been told to buy a fUnc mat... alienware have rebranded fUnc mats at knockdown prices if you're interested...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

You're onto a winner with the MX range.

I use the MX500 at the moment and a standard mousemat for playing Counter-Strike, Q3 etc..

Both those mat's should do you fine...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

"and I've also read at least one disgruntled review from a gamer who found it too heavy for quick movement."

Yes! too heavy for gaming! especially for FPS style like UT

about game pad - ever heard of Belkin Nostromo N52 ?

0,3363,sz=1&i=49225,00.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

• Advertisement

Do'H

sorry mate! i didn't read your post fully, and thought you were talking about game pad,

well for the mouse pad, i must say that Dell's mouse pad is one of the best mouse pads that i have ever tried! it's awesome!

one warning thought! i don't know how others but i had mouse jerking problems with MX700 when i used difference pattern mouse pads, like black and silver, can be very annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭moridin

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    Yes! too heavy for gaming! especially for FPS style like UT

I wouldn't agree, I like it for gaming.

However Koopa would... I don't think I'll ever forget the mess he made of his MX500 by ripping out the side buttons & the wheel and covering half of it with tape.

Damn light though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I've got one of the Steelpad Aluminium 4S pads, very big, very smooth and very cold!
    Works well with my old Boomslang mouse, but it as I said is VERY cold and tends to get damp under your hand. It came with some teflon pads to stick to the mouse, and this makes a huge difference.

Apart from the coldness I'd recommend it, though they are a bit pricey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

i can only comment on what i have used ie icemat, everglide attack mat and a fUnc pad, I would have to say that the func was by far the best, the ice mat was good but too many disadvantages size and the material (glass), the everglide was good but again small. Func pad wins by a long way being both big light and the cable clip attached, along with being double sided also damn cheap compared to the rest.

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Just got an MX500 this morning in the post, (yay!), foking lovely mouse! Havign to change some sensitivity settings in CS cuz it is heavier than what I was using before. Still not got it quite right, but loving it! :D Using an old horrible pad tho, not very mouse friendly at all! Need a new one, but don't know if I can warrant 20 or 30 euro on a mousepad!! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,985 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Isn't there a big metal bit in the bottom on the MX500 that servers no purpose other than weight. It can be removed.

IE 3.0 best mouse ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Lyconix

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm rethinking buying the Logitech MX700 - having read a few reviews, the general consensus seems to be that while its an excellent mouse otherwise, its weight interferes with fast movement and causes fatigue after extended use.

I'm now considering the Logitech MX310 or the MX500... better prices anyway :)

As for the mousepad, (thanks for the Alienware tip-off!), I'm seriously considering the fUnc 1030, and the clip for the mouse cord has me feeling less hesitant to go for a lighter, corded mouse. The price on Alienware is €19.06 including delivery, which for a designer mouse pad is excellent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

the mx700 is a cordless mouse, personally i wouldnt touch it for gaming, but then again i play quake3 where a slight mouse lag gets you owned. I use a MS intell v3, very happy with and a Rice Crispies homemade Mousemat

Originally posted by bazH
    the mx700 is a cordless mouse, personally i wouldnt touch it for gaming, but then again i play quake3 where a slight mouse lag gets you owned.

As far as I know, the MX700 is the first cordless mouse to suffer no lag by comparison to a corded mouse. I wouldn't have considered the mouse if there was any lag associated with it... the only problem is its weight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Liking the look of the Alienware func mat myself too! :D I can stretch to get it, lol! :D But it appears to be minus a clip?

Cyrrently I use a Dell mic holder and sellotape as a cord clip, works a treat! :D

Originally posted by Einstürzende
    But it appears to be minus a clip?

That did concern me (no clip visible in the picture), but I presume they still include it. I doubt they'd remove it indiscriminately. I wonder if it comes in the much-vaunted tin that the original comes in...

MX500 is more rough, it's plastic is not as good quality as MX700's if you are looking for quality and looks of course

for gaming
    it's light! response is better, less jerking

one warning once you get used to MX there is no way of going back! :)

imo if you want a mouse just for gaming, you should get that old logitech S48, awesome mouse for gaming!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

MX700 is a lovely mouse, comes in at 175g i think which is a bit of a beast, sadly my one died after an accident with the reciever and some liquid.
    So i got me an MX500 as a quick replacment and its horrible, feels different and cheap.
    So i eventually got an MS v3.0 and its a lovely mouse, nice and big, pretty light, nice feel.

As for a mouse mat i've had a bad run with everglide, had a giganta and i wore it out in 4 months and its ment to last for life, i was using a razer 2000 at the time and where the ball was on the mat it wore out and made it quiet hard to use as it had no traction. Eventually i got a func and its a brilliant pad, got a smooth and rough side for your own preference, and a little polish on the smooth side makes it very usuable.

The MX700 runs at 125hz the same as usb where a standard wireless mouse is only 30hz which isnt really playable at all.

All in all i find the ms v3.0 to be the better of the 3 followed by the mx700.

And i was sickened when i found that alienware pad a few months ago cause i had paid €47 for mine.

why don't you try

Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Tilt Wheel Technology?

directron_1768_6069964
    B0000AOWW7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

why don't you try

Microsoft Wireless IntelliMouse Explorer with Tilt Wheel Technology?

It only runs at 27hz
    Not good for gaming :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

I use the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3.0 with the icemat (black), and I really like that combo.

I tried the MX500, but my accuracy in UT 2k3 instagib is much much better with the MS mouse. This is probably because I'm kinda used to the ms mouse.

To be honest, I don't think it matters which mouse you go with, ms or logitech. It's all about getting used to the mouse. Mousemat can make a difference, but all three that are listed are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

surprised nobody mentioned the razer boomslangs, they are an absolute dream to use for first person games, but they are expensive enough

http://www.razerzone.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've had 2 boomslangs over the years and while they are indeed great the Mx700 is better imho - accuracy's about the same, but no dragging wire (even with a bungie) and need to clean the ball makes it a winner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Lyconix
    That did concern me (no clip visible in the picture), but I presume they still include it. I doubt they'd remove it indiscriminately. I wonder if it comes in the much-vaunted tin that the original comes in...

Yeah, it comes in the tin one definately. Far too expensive. Nice tin though. :)

I've ordered a fUnc from Alienware, I won't have it until next Saturday so I can't tell you if it has the mouse cable clip until then.
    Originally posted by i_am_dogboy
    surprised nobody mentioned the razer boomslangs, they are an absolute dream to use for first person games, but they are expensive enough

They sound great, but I heard bad things about the reliability of those, and decided to avoid them.

As for the MS 3.0, I love mine. Got it a year and a half ago, still going strong, suits me perfectly. The microsoft logo has rubbed off. [O_o]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

Originally posted by phaxx
    I've ordered a fUnc from Alienware, I won't have it until next Saturday so I can't tell you if it has the mouse cable clip until then.

They come with the clip.

did you order from alienware.com? do they ship to Ireland? :eek:

did you order from alienware.com? do they ship to Ireland? :eek:

dont they have a warehouse in ireland?

Yeah inc del the mouse pad is like under €20

Just choose ireland from the country list and buy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I had a friend order it for me since he owed me money, and it had to go to the cardholder's address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭tribble

I just got a Logitech MX900.

But I don't play games so I wouldn't really know...

tribble

/edit typo

• Advertisement
Advertisement