Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permission to land.

• 22-12-2003 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭

Apologies if it's been done already but I just got the Darkness CD this weekend (I know I know) and I'm pretty impressed. Much more so than when I heard the debut single "I believe...". There is a certain novelty about them, yet also a certain old school familiarity too. Some of the riffs remind me a lot of Brian May in the old days and the vocal style is definitely interesting. Personal fave tracks "Love is only a feeling", "Givin up", "Holding my own" and "Friday night".

Their Christmas single is a hoot too. Should have made it to number one I thought.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

but the single is number 1.....well it was in virgin today anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭coldenmean

well i got that album a few weeks ago now... i thought i liked them... but by the time i actually paid good money for it i had heard most of the songs enough already and i dont really ever feel like playing it.... they remind me of 'focus' that insane metal/organ playing yodelling thingymajig that was around in yester year... i thought they were deadly!
    the reason i like/d the darkness so much was partly because they know they are cock-rock, they know they are bizarre and either genius' or just plain idiots... (probably just bizarre and idiotic...)
    but they got out there anyway after years of trying, so fair play to them... certainly more entertaining on the music channels than a lot of the 'nu metal' bull**** im seeing a lot of now... uuggh :mad:

oh an i have to say that the christmas single was crap in my opinion though... but apparently they didnt like it themselves.. its the record company's fault that it made it into stores... well that figures... thats what you get for sellin out to the big man!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭goo

Hate to nitpick but "I believe in a thing called love" is the third single.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭James R

Yup it followed Get Your Hands Off My Woman and Growing On Me.

Good album. Kinda original if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I like The Darkness. They have a certain old school charm about them, the guitars sound nice and raw and meaty, and the songs themselves are fairly good. They have talent, there's no denying that. I'd buy a second album, if only to see if they can do it and prove that they're not just a fad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Attractive Nun

I find it hard to like a band that are so hideously over-hyped and loved by hoardes of former Limp Bizkit fans...but I do. You just can't dent they have talent and originality. Their guitars are amazing and Justin Hawkin's voice is hypnotisingly interesting. OK, maybe they're not the world's greatest bands, but their album is quality and that Christmas song rocks ass!!! Ass I say!!!

Every so often you need a good bit of ironic, easy, fun music. And now is about the right time for me. Well, maybe a few months ago, but that's nitpicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭weemcd

just got the cd, its bloody amazing \o/ all the songs are good amazing guitar work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

The first bar of Black Shuck had me thinking "Hang on, that's AC/DC, that is...".

That's a Good Thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

yes, i think they are good, and i would choose to listen to them a million times over that crap that the likes of louis walsh, simon cowell and all those other goblins are responsible for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The first 3 songs are great. The last 7 suck. I hate the album now. I've gone back to the serious music, like A Perfect Circle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭UnrealQueen

i just got it at christmas. it's a brill CD especially "black shuck" and "get your hands off my woman". Yer man's voice is klass!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by UnrealQueen
    Yer man's voice is klass!!:D
    Thats why I hate it, a cat with its nuts caught in a barbed wire fence couldnt screech that high :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Personally i thinik theyre a fad band, and after one or two more albums of ever decreasing popularity will fade into obscurity. Only to scratch a living a la status quo, playing in bars the length and breadth of england.

Fact of the day: Status quo were voted "Band youd most like to see play in your local pub", by readers of highly respected tabloid newspaper, 'The sun'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

Originally posted by mr_angry
    The first 3 songs are great. The last 7 suck. I hate the album now. I've gone back to the serious music, like A Perfect Circle!

exactly

i dont have anything against the darkness, its just that alot of their songs are about love..... thats just sucky since its been WAY too many times and its repeated often by britney and whatnot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Kye^

I enjoy the odd listen to them but generally they r unoriginal and get very boring :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

best album of the year. black shuck and love is only a feeling are classics.

yeah i have to agree about the whole singing too many songs about love thing.... theres nothin worse than these 'wonderful' musicians that come out promising originality and talent only to disapoint us with the fact that they cant even change their bloody topic!
    :dunno:
    its led me to having an interesting and somewhat obscure taste in music... but thats a good thing so i should really thank all the feckin awful pop singers out there for making me look for more....
    guys.... your the greatest ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Lifestay

I like the album but it is quite repetitive. The guitar work is fantastic. Really look forward to the next one. And yes, A Perfect Circle rock some ass, Mr Angry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

I'm not sure "comedy" acts like The Darkness can ever really be taken seriously. I have the same problem with Tenacious D - I loved the album in the first place, but after a while, it becomes hard to respect them as serious musicians. The jokes which were funny originally have worn a little thin by now, and that was what really made the album enjoyable.

Unless The Darkness stop relying on comedy as a means for popularity, and actually concentrate on what a band is supposed to do (write quality music), I think the novelty will wear off very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭AngelofFire

i bought the darkness album purely for artistic reasons not because i like their comedy or image. it is absolutely absurd to compare them to tenacious D. if you just dont like them for their music please say so rather than making up psuedo excuses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Q_Elexra

I hate them soooo much. I've seen them live and though 'Oh My God, You've got to be kidding me.' and I've heard there album which went right through my skull. I actually want to beat up the vocalist. The rest seem to be alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭razorfeather

Originally posted by coldenmean
    well i got that album a few weeks ago now... i thought i liked them... but by the time i actually paid good money for it i had heard most of the songs enough already and i dont really ever feel like playing it....

i completely agree. i got it as a present and was like..oh..ok ..they're ok....yeah they're pretty good actually ok...listened to it and there was nothing interesting really cuz i'd like heard everything. the first song is excellent though, black shuck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭lacuna

tbh i don't think they have much talent. but i think they are using that to their advantage. if they continue to just take the piss [which i assume is all they're doing now] then they'll stay around for a bit but people are bound to get bored of that type of "fad music".

personally i don't like them much. but fair dues to them...it musnt be easy sounding so ****e all the time. at least i wouldn't like to be on t.v making such an arse of myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Sauron

I think they're pretty good..got the album and theres some good songs on it..nothing too talentless about them I think......good fun tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I got the album as a pressie as well. I thought tat they were going to be good.

UNfortunatly, the rest of the songs were all crap (IMO). Now i've conveniently lost the album

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭disgruntled

Are we talking about the same album? Crap????? I'm amazed. Their retro style is a breath of fresh air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

LOL

I would love to see justion read this thread now - he'd probably be laughin his tits off.

"i bought the darkness album purely for artistic reasons not because i like their comedy or image"

LOL - GUESS WHO'S A SUCKER!

The Darkness are a piss take - I think they are so popular because a lot of people - mainly the minstream pop peole still dont get that its a joke!

I do think they will be a round for a while because its appealing to a lot of different people. The pop people that want something different and the rock/metal heads he get to relive their youth listenin to AC/DC and the like.

Personally I think they are hillarious, went to see them in vicar street, best gig i have ever been at.

The album - not listenin too mit much anymore - but thought it was a classic, but yes novelty has worn off now.

Their christmas song was dirt - but the chart position just showed their popularity - was nuthin to do with the song cause it sucked.

I hope their next album - rumoured to be called "Come out of the light" (LOL) will be a step up.

The two guys can play guitar - sining isnt justins strong point, but he has a good range - the drummer sucks and the bass player looks gay!

CLASSIC ROCK AND ROLL!

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Don1

I love it. Classic Gibson+Marshall=noise rock. That's what it's all about. Sure they have a slighlty left-of-center image but but f*ck that they still rock. Guitars are blimmin class. Love figurin out the solos. Sinigin can be a bit much at times but it just suits the songs for the most part. Can't wait to see them live. I'll be buyin album #2 as soon as it hits the shelves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement