Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

back in time 10 years.

• 22-12-2003 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭

Lets say you where given a choice of going back in time 10 years, knowing what you know now, would you go? would you do things differently?

Small desisions you made then that have a big impact on your life now, would you do things differently?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I don't think so, I mean there's plenty of things that I would like to have never had to go through, but they made me who I am today, I know that if I changed them I wouldn't have wound up where I am, and for all my whinging, I'm pretty happy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

I wouldnt change a single thing in my life, i'll admit i've been through some pretty tough times but as Fozzle said, - "but they made me who I am today, I know that if I changed them I wouldn't have wound up where I am"

you are who you are i suppose, to use a disney quote .... Hakuna matta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

oh and another thing if i went back 10 years id be 14 again, no thanks!!! puberity, achne, school!! god no way in hell!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Even the smallest change to the past could change the present completely so I'd leave everything as it happened, even the more embarassing aspects of the last decade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭Catch_22

buy microsoft shares !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

My life isn't great, but I could have made a big mess of it. I haven't done a great job, but I've done okay so far.

Plus, if I went back 10 years I'd be 6, and being 6 sucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

i'd also be six...but i'd jump at the chance. imagine redoing your childhood being twice as smart & witty as everyone around you...with an ungodly array of insults with which to reduce the others kids to tears...

and i could kill people who would be my future enemies...but get away with it because nobody ever suspects innocent loser boy :ninja:

...bitter...bitter childhood....

also: would place large bets on things and warn people of future events, proclaiming myself to be prophet/new messiah

example: *september 10th 2001* "bet you 20 euro i can make something really big happen tomorrow with my eerie mind powers.... " :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The main problem being that you would only do things differently if you were a different person.
    Dang I'd have to go a little further back...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

id go back to June 8th 2002 when i met PPC, id stop myself from replying to that erotic pm :dunno:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

The main problem being that you would only do things differently if you were a different person.

don't go creating any paradox crap. the thread clearly specificed you have your current knowledge and thus, technically, are a different person but in past time :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

id do some things differently, go after a girl i liked but never asked out stuff like that, i dont think it would change me much, just more confident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

I would win the lottery for the next 10 years. Well maybe every couple of weeks, wouldn't want people to think they had no chance of winning.

Then buy various shares and dump them before the dot.com collapse.

As for warning about Sept.. they had warning enough, just pointing it out beforehand and it happens means I'd get to spend the couple of years in a cage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

wait do u mean if u went back ten years u'd be 10 years younger or you'd be the same age, just ten years further back in time.

if its the former, then yes, i would. id buy loads of shares in IT companies as someone has already said. id enjoy life so much more through knowing all the major events that are going to happen (im one of those people who likes to know the end of a film before i see it). id do all of this from my caribean (sp?) island which i bought with all my ill gotten gains. oh and id also make sure i went out on a certain night about 2 years ago when i nearly didnt go out, and ended up meeting my current gf & all round love of my life.

if its the latter then probably not as im too much of a techie and prefer life with the better tech now. also i probly wouldnt have had as much success with my gf if i was 10 years older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

nah id rather be able to go back about 15 years to do all the things i would like to have done.

I guess if i were to go back I would probably take more risks in life knowing what would happen if i take them the first time around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If I'd gone back in time 4 years I'd never have posted in this thread.

Srlsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Too much responsibility tbh, I mean you'd have to warn everyone about what's going to happen, and then they'd probably ignore you and think you're crazy and lock you up, and then when the thing happens (9/11 for example, or the Omagh bombing or something), they'd want to know how you know, or might think you had something to do with it etc. etc., and to avoid all of that, you'd have to take the other option which is sit back, do nothing, and watch all of these horrible things happen.

Then again, you could probably go to a Boo Radleys concert, so it's a push really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Id just stick my brain in my 10 yr younger body and see what came of reliving 10 years of my life. Be totally ****ed up new and strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I'd go back and start up youtube.com and google.com and probably take up poker a whole lot earlier.

Other than that, probably not. I've enjoyed life, made my fair share of mistakes but am happy where I am now (despite the horrific daily "omg time is going so f*cking quickly" bouts I have) and I'm still young enough to rectify the smaller mistakes I've made (not finishing my degree/going travelling etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

nah, I'd hate to be six again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ten year's ago, nothing.

If I could go back twenty year's I'd have followed my dream.

I wanted to join the Israeli Defence Forces and make a career of soldiering there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭the dee

Being 13 again eh? That'd be a larf. If I had a list of all the lotto numbers for the last 10 years and race results etc it wouldn't be so bad I guess. But if you changed one thing what else would change? I'm pretty happy at the moment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Catch_22 wrote: »
    buy microsoft shares !
    http://uk.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=MSFT&t=my&l=off&z=m&q=l&c=
    And that's before you take inflation into account ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

I wouldn't change a thing. Though I would probably have bought a few houses and made a bomb a few years later.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭halfinch

theres one or two things Id change alright but overall im happy so why bother??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Lets say you where given a choice of going back in time 10 years, knowing what you know now, would you go? would you do things differently?

Small desisions you made then that have a big impact on your life now, would you do things differently?

Are you Kevin Keegan?

Advertisement