Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scan disk and Defrag

Options
  • 22-12-2003 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

My pc is really on the go slow so I tried Defragging the C drive. Problem is it gets to 3% and then starts again so I tried Scan disk. A message comes up saying Scan disk has restarted 10 times and I need to turn off any other progs that are running.

As far as I can tell there are no other progs running? Is there a way I can call up a list of progs that my PC is running so I can close them? I thought it might have been the Screen Saver so I switched it to come on only after 1 hour. No joy!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Kill everything bar explorer.exe make sure you're not on the net. Then run Scandisk, defrag and scandisk again after for good measure..

You running ME per chance ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Kill explorer.exe aswell and keep the scandisk window up and the cmd window open aswell. Run scandisk(if it can without explorer.exe) and if it finishes type in explorer in the cmd line and explorer restars, that could help:dunno:.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Do you have any antivirus sw running ?

Alternatively boot up in safe mode and let it defrag overnight.

Also if you can restart in MSDOS mode or boot to command prompt try - SCANDISK /ALL /AUTOFIX to check out the drive from there.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont have a solution but I do have the news that seeing this thread prompted me to defrag c drive for the first time in er 543 days.....ahem. Only D, E and F to go then!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

There are loads of temp folders and, IE cache, cookies etc that you should delete before you defrag. It's pointless defragmenting tempfiles and IE cache.

You never mentioned what version of Windows you are running. Ther eis no advantage to killing the explorer.exe process when defragmenting.

If you are running WIndows XP, use the commandline

defrag %drveletter% -v

and it'll defrag on the fly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Get spacemonger on the stickies
    uninstall any junk you will never use
    if on broadband empty the IE cache.
    Restart the pc (pref in safe mode) and delete the contents of the \temp or \windows\temp folder (don't do this if you have oppened any prog since stating the pc - even if you have closed it again)

Scandisk restarting 10 times tends to indicate win9x (98/me are just updates)
    But if you have NT use the contig utility on sysinternals site - stickies
    There is also a pagedfrg util that defrags registry and pagefile during startup - works for 2k/xp as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Highnoon

:eek: err ok I'll have a look through the advice again lads and when my head is a little clearer I'll give it a go. Thanks for your help. Microsoft Windows Me is the system I'm using by the way.

Advertisement