Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Helpppppp with BB connection

• 22-12-2003 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

First, the good news, I finally got broadband in Longford. Now the bad news which some of you might be able to help me with,

I downloaded ``Crystal Internet Meter'' to monitor the speed of the cable connection and I realised that every 2 or 3 minutes the connection speed drops to 0.0kbps. When this happens if I am talking with someone over the internet using Windows Messenger I get cut off and then I have to reconnect in order to keep talking.

I was using the Remote Assistance through Windows Messenger and I also was cut off every 2 or 3 minutes when the speed drops to 0.0kbps.

Is this normal, has anyone else had this problem?
    Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Cheers,

Alex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Moved to broadband.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

now that your in the right forum....

1) Do you have a USB or ethernet modem?
    2) Are any of the cables loose?
    3) What OS are you on.
    4) Are you using any kind of firewall.
    5) Does this happen with every program/application?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭molinaalexis

Thanks Mutant_Fruit for your prompt reply.

1.- The modem is an Terayon TJ715 which have USB and Ethernet capabilities, and I have had this problem with both connections.

2.- I checked the cables in their connection points and I do not believe they are loose

3.- Windows XP Pro

4.- Yes Zone Alarm Pro 4 on trial for a month

5.- Yes, with Windows Messenger and also when downloading, exept that when downloading the speed drops to 0.0 kbps for about 30 seconds to a minute but picks up again and continues for about 7 minutes before dropping to 0 again.
    With meseenger once the speed drops to zero it gets cut off and you have to ask to start the conversation again and sometimes you even have to sign in again.

thanks

Firstly, leave the modem connected into the ethernet port if possible, for more info check the USB versus ethernet thread (it should be in the recent past).

Have you tried the connection with the firewall disabled. Also, if you are running a firewall app, make sure you disable windows xp's built in firewall, its a pile of crap.

See if disabling the firewall helps

Thanks again Mutant_Fruit

I have actually connected to the ethernet port, and I have disabled the Windows XP Pro SP1 firewall.

I will give a try without any at all, in a few seconds and will be back

• Advertisement

I did not make any diference with or without the firewall I'll show you a picture of the readings

Ok, the best advice i can offer you now is to just ring your ISP in the morning and tell em.

Also, see if you can get updated drivers for the modem, and firmware (if possible). That can also help.

Advertisement