Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems With My HDD :( and windows

• 22-12-2003 10:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭

Right, my HDD and Windows just gave in tonight.

A Quantam Fireball 10.2gb one to be exact.

What happened was I went to change my boot screen to a cool Matrix one, I started in safe mode backed up the file and put the new file into the system32 folder.

I rebooted, the new bootscreen came up, then went, but instead of going to the login screen the pc just restarted, and then did the same thing (bootscreen came up, went and pc restarted). Keeps doing that!

I cant get into safe mode either as it just restarts after loading up the drivers :(

Any help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

boot into dos mode and restore those backups. You can probably do this by booting off your install disc. But if you have an NTFS partition, youll have to do some internet work and find a away to read and write to NTFS partitions in dos. It can be done, i;m just too lazy to find it.

Just google NTFS DOS BOOTDISK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

if you have original windows xp disk you want easily boot to system restory and change the files

oh download hiren's boot CD

http://www.mymonkey.us/files/HirenBootcd42.iso

burn, boot(set cdrom to your first boot device) it has ntfs dos program, change the files back!

and next time use special programs that change the boot screens :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

sounds like a case of bootxp, lets you change boot screens. It does give an option to backup the default logo & system.ini and the other system files first tho :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Right thank you.

Once I boot with the CD, how do I copy the file from c:\documents and settings\o\desktop\file.xx to c:\windows\system32 , im not that good with command prompts :(

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Before you try a repair, boot into the advanced boot menu (F8 on some models, check you manual.) Choose last known good configuration. If that doesn't work, boot into safe mode from the same menu, then from safe mode, go to the start menu, all programs, accesories, system tools, and system restore. Restore computer to an earlier time, choose a date in bold etc..

• Advertisement
Advertisement