Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't get your shoulder blade hacked off

• 06-01-2001 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I went to have the simplest thing done - a mole removed from my back - left shoulder blade to be exact, and it turned out to be painful as hell, despite being drugged up. i have a wound that looks like a little bullet shot right through my back, and it hasn't quite stopped bleeding yet. what are everybody's worst hospital/doctor/injury/surgery experiences??? i always seem to have little things wrong with me. 5 operations so far. aaaaaaaaaaaaargh!

Do your limbs ever get tingly, eh? eh?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 PHatZ

My worst hospital experience.. humm well i broke my finger and this doctor was drilling thru my finger to insert pins.. oh yeah i was drugged up.. well see this drill was a battery operated one like my shaver.. well anyway.. i fought off the anestesia and me and the nurses were telling jokes.. hey i didnt care if he was drilling hole in my finger.. then.. uh the batteries quit.. and guess what ? They pull out this eggbeater thing and literally hand cranked drill the holes to insert the pins.. then i didnt care anymore about the jokes.. man what a day.. moral is.. charge batteries b4 drilling in my finger again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The only time I've been in hospital as far as I can remember is when I broke my leg at the age of 2, but it was a bit odd that time when I stuck a garden fork through my foot. I was raking up grass in the garden, when I plunged the fork into the ground to survey my work. Except I sort of.. missed the ground. I thought I had just scratched my toe or something, so I carried on forking up the grass until I noticed my shoe felt quite wet. So I went in, took my shoe off (complete with hole in the toe of it), sock dripping wet, I poured blood out of my shoe, which was a bit of a shock. When I washed the blood off my foot and it stopped bleeding, I found I could see all the way through my toe, through the hole left, with the bone and tendons also exposed.

A bit of an odd experience, considering I had never seen through a body part before... I didn't need to go to hospital though, which makes this post fairly irrelevant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

you didn't go to hospital with a hole in your foot?! i don't know whether to call you brave or incredibly stupid! smile.gif congratulations for still being alive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I don;t know if this counts but I broke my leg in Germany on a skiing trip from school, in the hospital none of the doctors/nurses on duty spoke anything over very basic english and none of the teachers with us spoke any german, I had to give an account of what happened and fill in about 4 forms, all in German before they'd bandage me up, so that was a bit awkward. Then they wanted to give me a lot of injections and take blood samples and insert one of those drip yolks in my arm, it wasn't very nice as I'd absolutely no idea what was going on smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭whitetrash

i don't know if this counts, but during the summer i was in africa and got food poisoning on a 13 hour coach trip. when i got back to the hotel i felt fine, but by morning i was vomiting all over the place. there wasn't even a hospital nearby - just a male nurse who looked suspiciously like Sadam Hussain who gave me 2 injections a day, and didn't speak english. if i had gotten any worse i would have had to stay behind (after my family left) and had to get some train to another part of the country :P

I Live (in a dream world)

[This message has been edited by whitetrash (edited 07-01-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Take it

Ive only been to hospital twice once for appendix and one to get a ball (if you know what i meen) brought back down to its right position which was v painful for a 10 year old at the time!!!!!!!!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

mine was about 1 1/2 years ago
    when I had to get a 'lost fragment' of a bone removed from my ancle
    it hurt as **** afterwoods and I was on crutches for 13 weeks and limpin like hell
    I also didn't like waking up to a big FAT tube shoved down my troat
    hehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I work in a medical bookshop and I have managed to stick myself with scalpels on numerous occasions - the worst one being sticking a triangle-pointed one through the fingernail of the ring finger on my left hand, very little blood but ridiculously painful, nailbeds are very sensitive.

Apart from that, breaking my collarbone when i was about 15, not that sore but ****ing inconvenient, and having my right kneecap shattered whilst cycling to school one fine day. Hurts like a ******* when it rains now and everyone ****es themselves laughing at me sounding like an old geezer when I moan about my knee in damp conditions smile.gif

On the other hand I have seen stuff in medical books that would make your skin crawl e.g. a guy who sat on the water extractor fan thing at the bottom of his pool and had his colon and lower intestine pulled out through his ass by the force of the suction - now that's pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've been to hospital 3 times - first when I was very young (maybe 3 or so - it's actually the earliest thing I can remember in my life). I'd slipped whilst playing with a family friend (who actually lived with us - but that's another story), and they thought I'd broken my arm. Luckily, said friend was a doctor in the Hospital in Castlebar and problem was sorted fairly lively (no - I didn't break the arm).

Second time was when I was 7 and I tripped on a curb and split my chin open on my (please don't laugh too much) Smurfs Lunchbox! I had to get 7 stiches and spend the night in the hospital. What freaked me out the most was the thought of getting an injection (which was the first thing my friend said to me after it happened). It didn't really hurt, but it was a really deep wound and the blood was pumping out.

The most recent time was the day after the "Day Trip to Tip." I met a friend who I hadn't seen in ages and we started messin about which resulted in my fist and his knee colliding and caused me to break my knuckle on my middle finger on my right hand. Not good - hurt like hell, butI'm not suffering from it the way CT is with his knee.

All the best,
    kharn_sig.gif

• Advertisement

right.
    i have just got to mention the other stuff.

1. caught my fingers in the side of the door and broke them so badly that they hung off

2. had dirty great apsis surgically removed from neck

3. concussion from falling backwards onto a curb whilst playing...kick the curb. remember that game?

4. enjoyed a good bout of pneumonia

5. enjoyed mild bout of mononucleosis (glandular fever AKA the kissing disease)

6. two hip operations involving 6inch pins being put in and then later removed

7. twisted back muscles resulting in months of physiotherapy

8. mole just removed (still killing me)

and i am only 18...and actually really healthy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

When this thread started I thought I'd trump you all with my finger story but you guys are messed up!

I had half my finger torn off once but they stiched it back on - good job too, no scar smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Cracked a rib while sailing in Portugal, had the same op that take it had @ the age of seven I think, appendix @ 14/15 crashed off my "Push" bike while belting down a hill at about 30 mies an hour, no helmet, Knocked out my front tooth, knocked out for 6 hours or so, amensia (spelt wrongly), looked like two face after it all one side of my face was a big scab. Looking forward to Knee surgury soon due to crushed manky cartilage floating around in me knee joint. just have to wait till Im crippled then they'll rip it open. Havent had anything too bad happen me though. Thank god.

John

oo-er

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

who gave you mono neuro?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Panda

Hmm, ive had 3 experiences of hospitals.
    The first was when i was born but i dont rem much of that.
    The second was when i was 5, we had just moved into our new house and i was playing football with my brother. My dad was building this patio thingy and there was a line of orange builders twine to keep the edge of the patio lined up. Bro kicked the ball across the patio and me ran like a lunatic after it but it was kinda dark in that evening and i tripped and split my chin off a fuppin rock, blood all over the shop. I ended up getting 7 stiches without an anesthetic, and thats no fun at all.
    My third and worst experience/injury is a long one and it happened Sept 1999.
    First of all i play hurling, and if any of ye think "bogger" ill bite yer legs off.
    It was after a match against a team that will remain unnamed coz there was a court case to resolve what happened recently and im just sick of it now.
    Any way it was a quarter-final in the league (i think) and we had just won the game by a couple of points (during the match there was one guy on the other team concussed after getting a very strong shoulder from one of our lads,he ended up in hospital aswell)there was a suspicious amount of male supporters for the other team (seemingly they one of them wanted revenge for a broken bone he got from one of ou lads in a a match from a year before that) and as we were walking off the pitch he jumped him and proceeded to loosen one or two of his teeth. Anyway the fight spread to the rest of the players and some of our supporters and eventually me aswell. I hit one of their players and knocked him down but then i realised there was 2 more to both my sides. I ended up getting pretty badly beaten up, the doctor said i "recieved a blow across the temple and jaw" i was knocked unconcios for a couple of seconds(and when i got out of hospital i found out that the b@stards that did it kicked me in the ribs aswell, which hurt since they were wearing boots).
    I was brought to hospital and they stuck an IV into my arm(i couldnt sleep i was in such pain). And after two days i was set free only to return again for several tests catscans and the like.
    I would definately not recommend it. frown.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Excelsior:
    who gave you mono neuro?</font>

smile.gif sssshhhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

heh,
    b4 the age of 4 i'd already spent 16 mounths in hospitals.
    Thats enuff for a lifetime! smile.gif

Clan Acid
    Clan Bio
    HavokLogo2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,523 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The best ones I've heard happened to 2 girls I knew.

The first was using an electric carving knife to cut a sandwich and cut off the top of her finger. The sewed it back on.

The other a girl (note pattern) who had a sink fall off a wall and chop off her finger (note further pattern). She had hormone treatment and her finger grew back about twice the sizre it should be.

[Nsk]Victor
    [NSK]MAC10ASSASSIN
    Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Victor:
    and her finger grew back about twice the sizre it should be.

</font>

LOL!

well, i'm sure its put to other uses now biggrin.gif

• Advertisement

in case anybody is interested in my sad tidings...i had the stitches pulled out of the mole this morning and now a whole lot of blood and gunge is coming out of the horrible looking thing....eurgh...i'm not squeamish but it even makes me shudder to look at it. it's a good thing it's on my shoulder blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

i had a dream that i woke up in the middle of the operation to remove my appendix when i was 11.
    only to find out a few years later that alas it had been no dream and yes, while my stomoch was ripped open i had infact woken up.
    i seem to remember all the docters and nurses
    running around trying to put me under again.
    a little worrying really.
    ive also flown over a cliff on my mountain bike and fell about 50ft on to the floor of a forest. but i wasnt hurt so it doesnt really matter .all though my bike was utterly nackered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Void

Here's one for ye.
    I had Meningitis when I was a kid, and I remember being taken to hospital. Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes lining the brain and spine. This causes pressure to build up, making every nerve in the body burn with pain, and eventually hemorrhaging and death. To remove this pressure, a procedure called a "lumbar puncture" is performed. "Lumbar" are the lower vertebrae in your back. So anyway, they get a fúckoff huge needle (one for taking stuff out, not putting stuff in) and drain some spinal fluid from your back. The thing is, this really hurts, and if the needle jabs against your spine, you become a paraplegic. So I had about 6 nurses and doctors holding me down to stop me threshing around while this was being performed. Fantastiche. Apart from all that it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

i was going down a hill one wet day a wee bit to fast and mr nameless pulled out infront of me...i hit the breaks and went over the handle bar landed face first into the ground and broke both my front teeth and cut meself up pretty badly(had loads of dental treatment since then....teeth are fine now)......i also broke a finger by punchin a wall ( was pi$$ed of)....and i also put my teeth through my tongue by fallin on the ground chin first with my tongue stickin out (however i managed that i do not know)......that sucked......in the name of tom selleck(and his moustache)....neuro u've been one unlucky mother.....jesus u must b one of those ppl that it rains on when all around him the sun is shinning.....

Advertisement