Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fran Rooney

Options
  • 23-12-2003 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Im writing an article for a college magazine about Fran Rooney, but im not having too much luck researching it.Ive got the facts, he went from working in the civil service-business-FAI, but what was his big break in business?, whats his talent-from what i understand he set up a security system online?
    Any help appreciated

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

He set up Baltimore Technologies. A search for Baltimore and Rooney will give you plenty of research material.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

He didn't set up Baltimore Technologies. Baltimore was established by Michael Purser as I recall.

The former stockbroker Dermot Desmond took over Baltimore Technologies while it was quite a small company. Fran Rooney was his right-hand man and was put in as chief executive. There was a reverse takeover of Zergo, a UK company, leading to a London Stock Exchange listing for Baltimore.

Astute boards-watchers will have noted that Dermot Desmond is quite heavily involved with the football business too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

There's a very good book out called Leaders: Interviews with Irish Chief Executives by Ivor Kenny which includes an interview done with Fran Rooney when he was CEO of Baltimore, prior to his being deposed.

In it he talks about everything, from his youth to achieving the heights of success with Baltimore.

The author has a footnote after the interview saying that Baltimore subsequently collapsed and Rooney had got the boot.

All of the interviews in this book make for really worthwhile reading, but this specific interview looks like the answer to your problems. I loaned my copy to a friend, but if you have real trouble sourcing it, let me know and I'll get it back for you for a week or so. I'd imagine it should be available in the Library, or for purchase in Easons/ Hodges Figgis/ Waterstones etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tte

..ill get my hands on that book(from the library being pennyless student et al)

Advertisement