Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pirates of Silicon Valley!

Options
  • 26-01-2000 9:07pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Probably should mention this in the Film forum but I just got it out on video (just released) and tis good. For those who don't know it's the story of Steve Jobbs and some guy called Bill Gates. Both as bad as each other really.

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Was on TV here last year. Very funny, and is it actually not 100% factual (ie. They lied).

If your looking for more intresting one, see the whole series "Revenge of the Nerds" (no not those movies). They interview all the biggies from MS/Apple/IBM/CPM/etc.

Very funny point where there asking Steve Ballamar (?) about how they got CPM (DOS for the yung'uns) and you could see the expression on his face as "Boy we sure ripped that guy off".

Some of the IBM stuff is scary too redface.gif (clothing inspectors?)

[This message has been edited by Hobbes (edited 26-01-2000).]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I used to work for IBM and i'll tell you now that there were no clothing inspectors.
    but there are a lot of cctv camras and on the dors to the factory there were metel detectors the had doors that would close in frunt of you(sometimes on you to)
    and i'd just like to finish by saying HP are goddes.
    Oh god there getting to me please someone get me out of here!!!!PPPPPPPPLLLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSSSSEEEEEEEE

I pulled the plug on Dublan :)

The program is about IBM 10 or more years ago. Times change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Ah yeah I saw Revenge of the Nerds allright. Excellent doc. but was nice to see a dramatised version.

M

P.s. best bit in Revenge of the nerds was when they talked to the two guys who invented spreadsheets. Still lecturing in college because they never patented the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

I seen that one about the guys the made spreadsheets.(fools)(but at the same time kings)

I pulled the plug on Dublan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Sutty, get back to work or sleep or something

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

I think the reason they never patiented it is because they went about it the wrong way - they tried to patient the software which wasn't allowed rather than the idea itself.

Draco

Reminds me of the days when you couldn't copyright electronic media (software on 5.25" floppies).

Advertisement