Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

making coasters

• 23-12-2003 3:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭

hi,

i bought a pack of 10 memorex dvd+r in itdirect last week for only €13, burned 4 coasters out of 4 so far,

using nero on this drive

i have 2 write speeds 4x and 2.4x tried both =coasters

anyone got a similar problem, or any suggestions

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭banbutcher

i may sound ignrant bbut what is a coaster? and i know you aint talkin about beer mats!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

itdirect sucks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Tazzle

When you burn something and it just doesn't work, it's a coaster :) ie. useless

i told you itdirect = suck!

i heard they bring their products from some very cheap country, and their products always suck!

almost anything i bought from them sucked! hardware especially!

that's why it costs so cheap(not cheaper than komplett though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

ANYONE WHO BUY'S DVD-/+R'S TAKE NOTE:

You should buy your discs from www.blankdiscshop.co.uk. They offer a no quibble money back/replacement for any coasters. Example - I bought a bulkpaq red 25 pack. Out of the 10 First 7 were coasters. Sent them an email to explain problem. They sent me out a "test" pack to see if it was my drive (A06 new - bought from same place). Test pack contained 3 different DVD-R's (one was a pioneer disc which cost approx £4.50stg). Test pack was sent for free. All discs worked fine. The company sent a currier to pick up faulty pack and drop off a 25 pack replacement (different discs).

Now is that excellent customer relations or what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

thanks for that site daveg

and thanks for the headsup cyberghost, always wondered why they never make the bargins forum, guess now its cause their poo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Originally posted by CyberGhost
    i told you itdirect = suck!

i heard they bring their products from some very cheap country, and their products always suck!

almost anything i bought from them sucked! hardware especially!

that's why it costs so cheap(not cheaper than komplett though)

Wow what an informed and intelligent opinion, take it to another board please or I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i've quite happily purchased a number of items from itdirect, my case for a start and a soundcard and speaker set combo no problems at all i think the folks in there are quite sound

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

I had a similar problem with CDRs that I purchased from Maplins a while ago. (Full, tedious details here)

Anyway after enough kicking up I got my money back for them on the basis that they weren't fit for the use for which they were purchased.

Don't accept bad quality goods - it's because we do accept bad goods and bad service that they can continue to get away with selling them to us. Kick up a fuss and demand your money back. If enough people do it, they'll stop selling the crap merchandise.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Are you "backing" up a film, or just buring a small test file? Seemingly if you try to burn less than a gig some drives have difficulty burning.

• Advertisement

Kali - sorry, got too excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

Originally posted by mukki
    hi,

i bought a pack of 10 memorex dvd+r in itdirect last week for only €13, burned 4 coasters out of 4 so far,

using nero on this drive

i have 2 write speeds 4x and 2.4x tried both =coasters

anyone got a similar problem, or any suggestions

I got dvd+r from itdirect never had a problem the same one you or using
    I am using sony drive with nero 6

I usual write the image to the hard drive first just in case you get a failare saves
    on wasting DVD+R

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭jonhate

Mukki have you tried burning at 1x?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

have you tried doing a Test first? (a.k.a. simulation).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Rambo
    I usual write the image to the hard drive first just in case you get a failare saves
    on wasting DVD+R

That's a good tip - thanks Rambo. Mind I have not had a coaster yet with my Philips +RW that I bought at the same time I became a member of boards - don't ask how much it was :eek:

Had about 50% coaster rate at work with both our NEC's although using better media than I do at home :(

Another tip: buy +/- RW and not +/- R. If something goes wrong, just erase and start again. Hardly more expensive and you can use them over and over again. Small price to pay for a wee loss of speed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

but if your aiming for wider compatibility between standalone hardware dvd players, i tihnk +/- r is more compatible

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Just a suggestion, but Nero hated my DVD+RW drive, so im now using RecordNow Max and havent had a single coaster since! :)

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Originally posted by Mr.Taz
    When you burn something and it just doesn't work, it's a coaster :) ie. useless

just like eircom cd's!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by banbutcher
    i may sound ignrant bbut what is a coaster? and i know you aint talkin about beer mats!! :D
    Actually that's about all you can use them for - hence the name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,649 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Originally posted by Mutant_Fruit
    but if your aiming for wider compatibility between standalone hardware dvd players, i tihnk +/- r is more compatible

True Mutant_Fruit, didn't think about that. 90% of everything I burn stays in the house or the car. The other 10% is cdr's for friends / family / work etc.

My car stereo accepts cdr's. My standalone DVD player is also Philips and it has no problems with DVD+RW's and CDR / CDRW's. Think party and stick in a DVD+RW with 1500 songs and press random. Tell your friends to get their own drinks and enjoy your own party for a change :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight
    Actually that's about all you can use them for - hence the name.

Pff, shows how much you know.
    They can also make excellent frisbees.

Also, take a pair of scissors to them and bam! Ninja stars!

More on-topic, I bought a spindle of 50 Verbatim CDs from ITD (the only place in Dublin I buy hardware, generally) a while back and every single one has worked perfectly. I find Verbatim discs in general to be of high reliability.

Advertisement