Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deus Ex - Invisible War

Options
  • 23-12-2003 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

Been playing this the past few days and found it every bit as engaging as the first but have a few graphical probs.
    In certain parts of the game, seemingly when there are a lot of shadows on screen, the frame rate drops and the game gets very jerky, almost unplayable. I just bought a new gfx card for this and other upcoming games and find this very surprising.
    Rig is:
    Athlon XP2400
    Shuttle SN45g mobo
    512MB 2700 ddr
    Radeon 9700pro
    WinXP pro

18" TFT's native res is 1280*1024 but dropping res one notch and details to medium still shows the framerate problem. I am new to ATI cards so is there anything in the drivers I should be looking at?
    Ta v. much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

game is well known to run like absolute pants even on ubermachines so it really is not your machines fault.

Also known to have a prob or two with ati cards.

Load up on the latest catalyst drivers and hope for the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

It runs great at "xbox" like resolutions (really well upto 800x600) but awful above that. Running it without the latest patch would be a rather silly thing to do as well. Turning "bloom" off improves performance (done automatically in latest patch) but I prefer it on.

Incidentally, I completed it in only 9hrs 34min, doing most of the optional and primary quests. :(

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

is it worth importing or should i just wait? i've never actually played the first but i've heard good things about it.

i read a review which said there was frame rate problems even in really good machines too so i wouldn't worry bout it.

data

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

maybe people can help me as this is annoyin me.

Im in Trier and am trying to leave to go to the next place (cant recall name). I hired the jet pilot guy and he told me to meet me on the roof next to the tavern. I go up to the helipad and theres no sign of him. Am i in the right place or is there somewhere else i should go?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

i was a bit confused when i found no helicopter on the roof once i finished almost everything in Trier. you need to go back into the Nine World's Tavern and ask him to take you to Reichstad (sp.)

dx2.jpg

as you can see, i've stuck with Ava Johnson to take me anywhere in her helicopter for free instead of paying that badly accented aussie my hard earned stolen cash. i've had to go back into the tavern twice to ask her to take me to the place!
    i think she's some kind of AI since shes looking for someone herself, possibly JC Denton.
    good story so far.

adnans

• Advertisement

Originally posted by adnans

as you can see, i've stuck with Ava Johnson to take me anywhere in her helicopter for free instead of paying that badly accented aussie my hard earned stolen cash. i've had to go back into the tavern twice to ask her to take me to the place!

adnans

Surely Sid Black is English, not Aussie? Hurry up and finish the game, I want to criticize things!

Marr

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

have finished it, got 4 endings, is there any more ?
    illuminati/templars/denton/omar

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Download the 1.1 patch, it's on the game's forum linked in a sticky (I didn't see a download link on the main site). It gives you the option to completely disable shadows offering a huge performance boost (mine's playable now at 1024x768 with all other details high - Athlon 2700, 1.5gb pc2700, ATI 9600 Pro (504 clock)), also it gets rid of that annoying mouse lag.
    Just starting it myself, Alex's rework of the original title tune blew me away, so far I've spent more time listening to that than playing the game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Thanks lads.

Dataisgod, if you haven't played the original I'd pick that up (around a tenner on budget at the moment). You will not be disappointed if RTS/FPS is your bag.

How much is it on import anyway? A friend brought it from the states for me, interested to know how big a favour I owe him.

Originally posted by astrofool
    have finished it, got 4 endings, is there any more ?

illuminati/templars/denton/omar

Just them afaik. I completed it once and couldnt be arsed reloading the last 10min to do it differently (since thats all that really matters, the final choices) and looked at the other endings with Smacker in Windows.

Id advise against removing "Bloom" or the shadows btw, unless its completely unplayable. I found them to be major parts of the atmosphere and gameplay. Oddly, I found it smoother in the later levels (better optimising?).

Matt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

you can get it from www.dvdboxoffice.com its about 64 canadian dollars which is about €40

delivery is free and you'll get it in about 2 weeks i'd say maybe less, i got FF XI from them

• Registered Users Posts: 16,666 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i got it from gamestop.com

delivery took 2 days from the states o_O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by Matt Simis
    Incidentally, I completed it in only 9hrs 34min, doing most of the optional and primary quests. :(

WTF?!?!!?
    That ****ing blows!

The original took me ****ing weeks to complete!
    9 and a half hours sounds an abysmal play time!

I'm fecking disapointed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

i was a bit confused when i found no helicopter on the roof once i finished almost everything in Trier. you need to go back into the Nine World's Tavern and ask him to take you to Reichstad (sp.)

Done that, he said to meet him outside. I went out and he wasnt there, i went back in and he wasnt there i then looked for the other one and she isnt there. Im well pissed off and worried ill have to start it all again :(

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    WTF?!?!!?
    That ****ing blows!

The original took me ****ing weeks to complete!
    9 and a half hours sounds an abysmal play time!

I'm fecking disapointed now!

The reviews I read stated around 15hrs, I tend to complete things fast. Others prolly get more milage out of games than I do.

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

I thought game was very good overall.

They made it shorter, since apparently people thought first one was too long.
    They also "dumbed" down the game, lack of skills etc, since has to be ported to xbox, and console gamers dont like complexity (quoting makers, not necessarly my belief).

To be honest, I prefered the first one, but this is still an excellent game, however I'm suprised at the initial release, since yes it was slow, and all that was needed was a few tweaks to .ini files (mouselag = 0 i think was one ...) stupid things like that which increased performance majorly [patch just changd these settings heh - which where most increase came from)

AI was brillant in certain parts, again, dim in others - sometimes would ignore you, ther times would set off alarm, or just *know* your there somehow - overall though a good game, and worth the play - sadly not as playable, or replayable as first, another sequal i wonder in the midst? ;-0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Is this being sold anywhere in Dublin? If so, what price?
    I'd thought it was America only atm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Drex

Yeah its funny why its not over here.

Which is another thing i want to ask.

If I do get it from over in the states, I take it, it should be no different than when it is released over here?
    What I mean to ask is that there should be no compatability problems because its imported?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Must get it from america
    no compatibility probs
    available in dublin mid-feb afaik ... only diff should be released version in europe will prob contain 1.1 patch [1.8meg download, or therebouts ...]

Advertisement