Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hmmmm.... Spyware??

• 23-12-2003 12:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭

Noticed something odd over the last few days (running WinXP Home). Ocassionally when I open a web page, I get a double underline on some words, which when I hover over them, display a short ad of some sort, be it for eBay or something similar. Clicking on the word opens a new link to that page.

I haven't installed anything like that to my knowledge, and Spybot has found no spyware, so any idea what it could be??. I'vr noticed there is a program called 'MyWebSearch' installed in 'Add/Remove Programs', but trying to uninstall it results in a window opening but nothing else.

Any help/suggestions most welcome.

Cheers,

AG

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭leonlafrite

Do a scan with : ad-aware, it is the best around and you get it for free!

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ColmOT [MSFT]

Sounds like a Smart-Tag feature of Office System 2003, or a webby version from some website.

Do you have Office System 2003 installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Problem solved (Smart-Tag alike):

http://www.osnews.com/story.php?news_id=3756

Solution in there as well, relieved its not spyware.

Also get it on this page, interesting to see if others have same thing:

Majorgeeks.com
    Select benchmarking on LHS
    Click on Codecreatures benchmark

Microsoft and a few others underlined.

Rather unpleasant carry on.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Hahaaa thank god that "feature" is not supported in any real browsers like Firebird I'll never see those ads:D, get a real browser like Firebird and dump Internet Exploder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Hahaaa thank god that "feature" is not supported in any real browsers like Firebird I'll never see those ads:D, get a real browser like Firebird and dump Internet Exploder.
    Seriously, does every single one of your posts have to be like this?
    Why don't you do up a gathering card and post that instead, "use firebird/whatever" is getting really boring at this stage.

• Advertisement
Advertisement