Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitTorrent - nobody loves me

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

good stuff The_Scary_Man !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

what program is that one? is it better than this auluza thing i dloaded, and Placebo where u getting those torrent files?

its BiTorrent experimental client .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by Placebo
    good stuff The_Scary_Man !

Move your upload rate to full (8kb/s), it wont effect your download.
    The reason this is happening is because xDSL sends out confirmation of received packets and if your upload is saturated it will give the impression to other users that you are on a slower connection.
    Generally about 80% of your total upload is considered the sweetspot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm on unlimited and I get 40KB pretty often (depends on the number of seeds of course) even 50Kb sustained. Removed that is being used -ADREN- it's the best there is

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Originally posted by daveyjoe
    Move your upload rate to full (8kb/s), it wont effect your download.
    The reason this is happening is because xDSL sends out confirmation of received packets and if your upload is saturated it will give the impression to other users that you are on a slower connection.
    Generally about 80% of your total upload is considered the sweetspot.

Cheers for that daveyjoe I'll give that a lash later.

No problem Placebo :) although I think its a good idea to blank out the name of the torrent you're downloading when posting pics of the client.

You don't want the boys from FACT knocking on your door. :eek:

Originally posted by -ADREN-
    what program is that one? is it better than this auluza thing i dloaded, and Placebo where u getting those torrent files?

Try Removed .

Suprnova has a lot of files but also has more than its fair share of leechers.

Phoenix has a strong community but you will be banned if you do not seed the torrents after you have finished downloading. They're not nazis or anything but you will be expected to leave the window open for a reasonable period after finishing the download.

Dare to share, spread the love!Removed

I think its a good idea to blank out the name of the torrent you're downloading when posting pics of the client.

yeah, i was gonna blur it out, but didnt bother.
    FACT ? is it possible though btw ?
    quality was **** anyway, last movie i ever download

heres the attachment again, edited . lol

Federation Against Copyright Theft I dunno if they even have any power I;ve just seen them on videos.

Yes I have heard of one guy on the phoenix boards getting a letter from Symantec after d/ling Norton System Works.

Remember BitTorrent logs your IP.

Symantic probably have millions of users !
    do you actually think they will email one user for downloading it !? that could be anyone using ports on Linux, or any other method.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Hey I just got azureus working, I notice that very few of the ports people try to connect to me on are within that range. I increased the range and speed picked up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I have used just about every client (maybe not some of the more obscure ones, all of the more mainstream ones though)... and have found shadows experimental to be the dogs dangly bits ...

BTW Placebo ... the name of the movie you were downloading is still visible in that JPG

lol, just noticed, how stupid of me :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

Is anyone else having problems running BT? (I'm on IBB by the way)
    I use Shadows experimental client and it is crawling at mostly <1kb/sec.

I checked ports 6881-6999 can go through my firewall and I can see seeds/leechers connecting but its always dog slow.

Any ideas?

Originally posted by proteus
    Is anyone else having problems running BT? (I'm on IBB by the way)
    I use Shadows experimental client and it is crawling at mostly <1kb/sec.

I checked ports 6881-6999 can go through my firewall and I can see seeds/leechers connecting but its always dog slow.

Any ideas?

How many Seeds?, if it's a brand new tracker then it takes a while before it starts to scale up :D; by the way film quality depends on were it came from, usually DVD-Rip is excelent!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I've seen torrents with 10 current seeds (of complete files) with traffic of 10-50kb/sec on each peer and still my uploads/downloads are at almost zero. I have set the upload rate to 40Kb/s and leave the client active for hours but it makes no difference.

Have you checked that the IP you are using for port-forwarding is your PCs ip and not your routers?

Also I went into Services in XP and disabled ICS and XP Firewall and installed Zonealarm instead.

I went from this

bt2.jpg

to this

bt3.jpg

and right now I'm downloading at about 40-50.

Why the hell blur it out?, I mean REALLY who cares it's used for downloading Warez:eek:; oh my god! :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭-ADREN-

I have Northern Firewall thingy on, how do I check if my ports are not being blocked or what ever?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    Why the hell blur it out?, I mean REALLY who cares it's used for downloading Warez:eek:; oh my god! :eek:.

Coyote, in the forum rules:

"there is a zero tolerance policy about warez."

• Advertisement

Originally posted by bluedaemon
    Coyote, in the forum rules:

"there is a zero tolerance policy about warez."

So why is this conversation taking place? - let's cut the crap - this is ALL about warez:rolleyes:, ppl are even linking to suprnova!!. As long as there are no actual warez on Boards.ie I dont see the prob link to places that have BT and dont hide what your downloading, everyone knows it's warez ;).

Also I went into Services in XP and disabled ICS and XP Firewall and installed Zonealarm instead.

i use zone alarm, whats the story with it though.
    When i play half life etc it asks if i want to connect and i checked the box (remember this next time etc) and it still keeps asking me.
    for every other program too that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

So why is this conversation taking place? - let's cut the crap - this is ALL about warez:rolleyes:, ppl are even linking to suprnova!!. As long as there are no actual warez on Boards.ie I dont see the prob link to places that have BT and dont hide what your downloading, everyone knows it's warez ;).
    Linking to warez or encouraging it won't do you any favours either.

Yes and when boards.ie is closed down because of this peddling little thread it will be the same story. What we know and what we can prove i na court of law are two very very different things. Suprnova.org is a site which hosts links to trackers which hosts torrents. Absolutely northing wrong with any of that and why would there be? If the content on some of those trackers is not exactly legal, then thats a matter to take up with the tracker. Linking to such things and descussing p2p networks and software should remain fine, Its perfectly legal to download and use freeware software, what you do with it after that may not be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

The ideal settings for Bittorent on a 512/128k connection are usually

Upoad Rate: 8kb/s
    Max Uploads: 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

i'm baffled with my setup. I get a download of say 1 to 8 KB , again my uploads are always higher. I have a d-link604 router, and redirected the ports 6881 etc to 6999 to my main PC. I'm running sygate fw , so I gave the OK to BT to download. Now when I go into the fw logs, I can see the ports all opened up, but yet they are further redirected to 1132 to 11XX. I tried BT with the FW turned off, but this made no effect on the speeds of the download.

In the advanced part in BT , I see all of my seeders/peers are local , read somewhere these should be remote. So can someone please help me with changing that elusive L to an R :) , because I think somewhere along the line the network is choking on the downloads.

Cheers

Can you post a jpeg of the client ondafly?

Originally posted by Skanger
    Suprnova.org is a site which hosts links to trackers which hosts torrents. Absolutely northing wrong with any of that and why would there be? If the content on some of those trackers is not exactly legal, then thats a matter to take up with the tracker. Linking to such things and descussing p2p networks and software should remain fine, Its perfectly legal to download and use freeware software, what you do with it after that may not be.

That what I said.........:rolleyes:.

That what I said.........:rolleyes:.

No it isn't you little warez monkey. you all like, "less talk about warez, we all do it anyway, your doing it now" and i'm pointing out that where talking about problems using a freeware problem on broadband conenctions, nothing what so ever to do with warez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

sure thing, its dropped now to 5 seeds. This problem happens though with any torrent I try.

torrent.gif
    advanced.gif
    fw.gif

Advertisement