Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BitTorrent - nobody loves me

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Atreides

Try spytorrent as see is the tracker off line, it way well be, even on all the ones your tried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Here is a link that will tell you all about torrenting as well as links to popular clients:

Removed
    And no, there is nothing illegal about owning or using bittorrent clients, its only illegal to use it to get intellectual property you havent paid for. Many bittorrent sites have torrents for open source software ...er among other stuff .... and in fact the first time I came across bittorrent was for downloading Redhat ISO's ...completely legit m'lud...

heh ... and I just checked peerguardian and got the following (always use protection folks!):
    And no, its not photoshopped or anything .. happened to me today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

can I assume then , there is nothing wrong with my settings ? its mad, I've now uploaded just less than twice what I've downloaded.

nasty CIA ;) - portscan was it ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭raster

That Peer Guardian screen shot doesn't tell what port was blocked.

It could have been a http 80 request for an image like a flag/country map from the CIA factbook in a page you looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I tried downloading a film, and it took three days. Wasn't even a film I'd want to watch! Next time I think I'll go out to the cinema!

Originally posted by raster
    That Peer Guardian screen shot doesn't tell what port was blocked.

It could have been a http 80 request for an image like a flag/country map from the CIA factbook in a page you looked at.
    At the time it happened all that was open was MS Word, Boards.ie and shadows experimental bittorrent client ...... but you got me thinking and I tried to look at www.cia.gov and sure enough it wouldnt load and Peerguardian logged it ... I looked in the logs and it didnt show what port there either .... normally all you see is the likes of mediadefender and stuff.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    So why is this conversation taking place? - let's cut the crap - this is ALL about warez:rolleyes:, ppl are even linking to suprnova!!. As long as there are no actual warez on Boards.ie I dont see the prob link to places that have BT and dont hide what your downloading, everyone knows it's warez ;).

RE-READ IDIOT

As long as there are no actual warez on Boards.ie

Again in case you can't see it the first time

Hope that wasn't to tough on the old brain cells Skanger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Originally posted by ondafly
    can I assume then , there is nothing wrong with my settings ? its mad, I've now uploaded just less than twice what I've downloaded.

All I can suggest is uninstalling all bittorrent clients (or delete the program folder and registry icons if they don't have and uninstall) and then start from scratch, also try to turn off your firewall (you'll need to disconnect from the 'net because if you just turn it off while connected then some ports will still be blocked), just as a troubleshooting measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

Regarding the IP block from CIA, it could have been anything.

First of all, PeerGuarding blocks 92million IPs, so you're bound to get hit sooner or later.

Secondly, the CIA own the following IP addresses: 198.81.128.0 - 198.81.191.255
    That big of a range means that 17 000 people are using CIA IPs. I wouldn't find it too surprising if someone actually tried to DL the thing you were DLing... out of 17 000 people, there's bound to be one that doesn't care about copyright laws.

Anyways, I am fairly certain the CIA weren't trying to find people that are breaking copyright laws. It's not CIA's job, and I've never heard them do it. Furhtermore, there's always the chance that someone is trying to connect to some random port, and they are using a spoofed IP. As I said, PeerGuardian blocks 92 million IPs, the chance of someone spoofing the IP, and the spoofed IP being one of the 92 million, is actually not that small.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    RE-READ IDIOT

Again in case you can't see it the first time

Hope that wasn't to tough on the old brain cells Skanger.

You quote youself and called yourself and idiot, welldone there mate. You said everything was warez, we said no it wasn't, you get all upset and agressive. I think you should leave now

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Ondafly, I know I've said this already but have you disabled ICS and the windows firewall? I ask because this was the last thing I did before it started to work for me.

Also if your router is acting as a dhcp server then your pc's local ip is liable to change every time you start it up so this messes with the port forwarding as you have to asign the local ip. I'm using the eircom netopia cayman and I had to assign a static address to my pc.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Originally posted by Skanger
    You quote youself and called yourself and idiot, welldone there mate. You said everything was warez, we said no it wasn't, you get all upset and agressive. I think you should leave now

Your dumber then I though I was talking to YOU; what are you going to answer with "I know you are but what am I nananana"?, I was quoting myself to disprove your accusations that I was asking for everyone to start talking about warez I was looking for ppl to stop hiding what they are getting from BT - who cares what you are getting? it's silly.

?If you have nothing to contribute then please don't post. troll and flaming arn't allowed don't you know. Neither is perosnal attacks. Everyone else seems to understand the point your missing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

OfflerCrocGod

People in this forum are good enough not to lower themselfs to name calling to get their points across either Play nice or dont play at all

warning 1

Skanger if people start calling you a idoit or other such **** its best to ignore them not to reply to their flameing

hmmm ALL links to download software primarly used for warez will NOT be allowed ......All links have been removed

And no bitching "its ok to have the prog" it may well be but you wont be linking to them from here find them the old way yahoo or google

P2P threads are on slippery ground lads when openly breaking rules takes place

Simple rule do not LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

got it working on a 2nd machine i have. downloading fine at between 30 ad 50. Didn't make any changes to anything - both machines have the same build etc. But initially tried it without the firewall, then further with it - and alls well

cheers folks

forgot to mention - I have DHCP running on the router also, and it isn't posing any problems, well with the 2nd machine that is !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

The_scary_man:

I have always had ICS disabled but what is the "windows firewall"?
    I can't see this service running (XPpro).

I'll have to have a look when I go home, I'll post later with the name of the service.

Sorry about that Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Connection Firewall run together, shutting down one shuts down the other.

My mistake. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    Sorry about that Internet Connection Sharing and Internet Connection Firewall run together, shutting down one shuts down the other.

My mistake. :o

Worra load of cobblers. ;)

ICS has nothing to do with XP firewall.Maybe you're confusing ICS and NAT.

carb.

• Advertisement

I don't know but I'm running XP Pro and in Services I shut down;

Internet Connection Firewall (ICF)\Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

I maybe be wrong here but... won't winxp restart services unless you change the setting that is launching them ie: turn off ics and icf in dial-up connections rather than in services.

I just set them to manual start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 bluedaemon

Originally posted by The_Scary_Man
    I just set them to manual start.
    well if it works it works i suppose..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I used to get DL speeds of 150 kBps on occasions in Windows, though the average was closer to 20. I don't think I've gone above 25 on Linux, though I presumed it was just the torrents I was getting were scarcer.
    Can anyone confirm if using a client really make a difference? Anyone know a good one for Linux?

Advertisement