Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Ray Burke paid €41,492 pension as ex-minister

Options
  • 23-12-2003 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭

Isn't it nice that when they are cutting back on rent allowance, that people are getting €100,000 pensions having spent a few years in office, haven't retired yet **and** still get paid salaries from their current jobs. :rolleyes:

http://home.eircom.net/content/irelandcom/topstories/2219248?view=Eircomnet
    Ray Burke paid €41,492 pension as ex-minister
    Tuesday, 23rd December, 2003

The former minister for foreign affairs Mr Ray Burke received a ministerial pension last year of €41,492, according to new accounts published by the Government, reports Arthur Beesley, Political Reporter

Mr Burke faces a tax demand for €2 million. He has sought free legal aid after pleading not guilty to criminal proceedings brought against him for making false returns under the 1993 tax amnesty. He also issued legal proceedings earlier this month to prevent anyone being appointed to deal with his €10.5 million legal bill other than Mr Justice Feargus Flood.

Mr Burke is paid a ministerial pension in addition to the pension he receives for his years as a TD. This contributory pension, worth some €38,000 last year, was increased by 2.95 per cent last summer as part of the benchmarking process. It will rise by 5.85 per cent at the start of the new year when the next benchmarking increases are given.

While ministerial pensions are not benchmarked, they rise in line with pay rounds under the social partnership agreements.

The annual Finance accounts for 2002 show that the State's total expenditure on such pensions last year was €2.89 million. The expenditure on judges' pensions, retirement lump sums and death gratuities was €4.94 million.

The accounts show that the President, Mrs McAleese, received personal remuneration last year of €223,667 and an annual allowance of €317,434.

The State also paid €5.7 million in expenses to the leaders of the Government and Opposition last year. The political parties received €4.34 million. Candidates in the general election received €189,170. The State also paid €197,971 in severance payments to politicians demoted from the cabinet or from junior ministries during 2002.

The list of office-holders' and ministerial pensions disclosed yesterday included €79,780 paid to the former taoiseach, Mr Charles Haughey. He also receives a TD's pension.

The family of Mr Haughey, who is suffering from prostate cancer, made a €5 million settlement with Revenue last March for "outstanding tax liabilities". Mr Haughey made a separate settlement of €1.28 million in 2000.

Pensions paid to other former taoisigh included: €78,770 paid to Mr John Bruton; €78,703 to Mr Albert Reynolds; €74,794 to Dr Garrett FitzGerald; and €59,835 to Mr Liam Cosgrave.

Former presidents Mrs Mary Robinson and Dr Paddy Hillary each received pensions last year of €111,164. Dr Hillary also received a ministerial pension of €31,542.

Mrs Rita Childers, widow of the former president Mr Erskine H. Childers, received €55,583.

Pensions to former attorneys general included €51,950 paid to businessman Mr Peter Sutherland. Barristers such as Mr Harry Whelehan received €440,830; Mr Dermot Gleeson received €36,085; Mr John Rogers received €47,319. The EU Commissioner, Mr David Byrne, received €32,314 for his time as attorney general.

Retired Fianna Fáil ministers on the pension list included: Mrs Máire Geoghegan-Quinn €51,378; Mr Gerry Collins €40,485; Mr Padraig Flynn €36,778; Mr David Andrews €33,745; Mr Ray MacSharry €29,797; Mr John O'Connell €19,729; and Mr Seán Doherty €15,509.

Former Fine Gael ministers included: Mr Peter Barry €46,873; Mr Paddy Cooney €40,485; Mr Austin Deasy €26,954; Mr Michael Noonan €32,334; and Ms Nora Owen €16,318.

Former Labour ministers included: Mr Dick Spring €50,382; Mr Ruairí Quinn €30,884; and Dr Conor Cruise O'Brien €27,224.

The sitting Fianna Fáil TD Dr Michael Woods received a €35,723 severance payment when he retired from the cabinet last year. Fianna Fáil TDs who received severance payments when they lost their junior ministries included: Mr Ned O'Keeffe €15,852; Mr Eoin Ryan 15,589; and Mr Dan Wallace €15,589. The PD TD Ms Liz O'Donnell received €16,069 when she returned to the back benches for family reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,411 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2219430?view=Eircomnet
    Leaders look good at our expense
    Senan Molony Political Correspondent

REPORTS that the taxpayer has spent €35,500 on hairstyling and makeup for the Tanaiste in the last six years raised eyebrows at Leinster House yesterday.

But Ms Harney is not the only politician being paid to look good, and nor is she the most costly: Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has spent an average of €18,000 a year on personal grooming in the same period, figures released under the Freedom of Information Act show.

None of Mr Ahern's beautification money went to his former partner, grooming consultant Celia Larkin. Two other businesses were used.

The Labour party took issue with the Tanaiste's spending on beautification, which has reached €15,755 this year. That's €43 a day, but she is still outspent by the Taoiseach, who needs €50 a day to stay looking good.

A Labour spokesman said: "People finding themselves dumped off a community employment scheme can be forgiven for cynicism when they find out the same Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment was able to find over €15,000 to spend on cosmetics this year." Opposition sources jibed that the Comptroller and Auditor General should carry out a value-for-money audit on the spending.

The €300-a-week grooming bills for both the Taoiseach and Ms Harney are paid directly out of taxpayer funds and are set to rise further next year when Ireland's EU presidency will increase the need for leaders to put a good face on things.

Ms Harney's personal beautician, stylist Val Sherlock, has been paid €36,500 in the last six years for attending to her appearance. But a failure to submit bills in time meant Mr Sherlock was paid no funds at all in 2001 for attending to the Tanaiste.

A spokesman for Ms Harney said this year's figure of €15,755 also reflected "some unpaid bills for a previous year."

A spokesman for the Taoiseach said Mr Ahern needed special attention in grooming because of his constant schedule of public appearances, official functions and TV interviews. Mr Ahern's make-up maintenance reached a peak cost of over €20,000 in the year 2000.

http://home.eircom.net/content/unison/national/2219442?view=Eircomnet
    Politicians' pensions cost taxpayer €9m
    Gene McKenna Political Editor

FORMER presidents and taoisigh are among the highest beneficiaries from almost €9m paid out in 2002 in State pensions, annuities, retirement lump sums and severance payments.

Five former taoisigh figure prominently on the list of more than 100 politicians published annually who got pensions worth €2.89m last year.

Not all those on the list get full pensions while they are still in the Dail under rules introduced in recent years.

Some get half of their pension while still serving.

The Department of Finance accounts also cover salaries and allowances to President McAleese and allowances to the leaders of the political parties, as well as salaries, allowances and expenses to members of the judiciary.

The total cost for the judiciary was €14.8m while the combined overall allowances to the political party leaders was €5.77m.

The figures are contained in the Finance Accounts, prepared each year by the Department of Finance to show where money from the Central Fund was paid out.

Sean Treacy, the former Ceann Comhairle, got €53,980, ex-Tanaiste John Wilson received €55,828 while Dick Spring, the former Labour leader and Tanaiste, got €50,382.

Other ex-ministers whose pensions topped the €40,000 mark include Peter Barry, Gerard Collins, Patrick Cooney, Des O'Malley and Michael O'Kennedy while former Environment Minister Padraig Flynn got €36,778 and former Posts and Telegraphs Minister Dr Conor Cruise O'Brien received €27,224.

Among the former Fine Gael leaders, Michael Noonan got €32,334 and Alan Dukes, €31,485 while former Labour leaders Michael O'Leary and Ruairi Quinn received pensions of €34,394 and €30,884.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I know I shouldn't, but I can't resist...
    REPORTS that the taxpayer has spent €35,500 on hairstyling and makeup for the Tanaiste in the last six years raised eyebrows at Leinster House yesterday.

Hairdressers and stylists eh? Not doing a very good job, are they...

Originally posted by therecklessone
    I know I shouldn't, but I can't resist... Hairdressers and stylists eh? Not doing a very good job, are they...
    Mary could really do with the dietician and personal trainer though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Why are ye attacking the Tanaiste on these grounds?

Mary Harney is doing a fine job. She is a pretty decent lady.

As Minister for Trade & Employment - Her record is pretty fine.

If people want TDs expenses or pensions - let them stand for election.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Cork's being sarcastic again...

Next year it will all be BIK (me hopes)

can you imagine what they'd look like without the grooming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

Originally posted by Cork:

Why are ye attacking the Tanaiste on these grounds?
    Because this is the same Tánaiste that belongs to a government that has decided to cut the community employment scheme, which helped the poor and marginalised in society to earn themselves some kind of a living. Because for every speech about "belt tightening" and "value for money" and "rationalisation" that is made by the goverment now demonstrates perpetual hypocrisy. Value for money in public service must come from the top down, not the other way around. What kind of example does it give to a department that has high overheads when their own leaders are claiming this kind of frivolous expense? In my opinion it gives them the impression that if it isn't their own money, they can do pretty much whatever they want with it.
    Mary Harney is doing a fine job.
    Ignoring the fact that this point is completely debateable, this is not the issue. If Mary Harney wants to spend €15,000 to cover up her warts and wrinkles, then I certainly won't stop her. However, I take issue with her using taxpayer money to do so. I don't spend nearly that amount of money on beauty products, and I don't have a reservoir or taxpayer money from which I can draw in order to buy these products/services. If I can get by with ordinary toiletaries when it comes to personal appearance, why can't our public representatives?
    What point are you making here? If people want to get rich and look good - then they should stand for election? Forgive me for being naive here, but I would have thought that a person standing for election would have other things on his/her mind, such as perhaps governing the country? Of course a TD is entitled to a respectable salary and some expenses (for example travel, if visiting other countries), but the current expenses scheme is completely open to abuse, and TD's are abusing it. The lack of accountability when it comes to TD's granting themselves these expenses furthur compounds the perception that TD's do not truly earn their keep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

originally posted by cork

Getting elected has to be seen as more than some ego-trip gravy train, granted there is an ostentatious tinge to the current government. They are there to represent us, to do so requires that they don't have to worry about personal financial matters, hence they get a very decent wage and extremely decent expenses. If they want a big image make-over, which €15,000 grand is buying them, they or their party should be footing the bill.

Ray Burke sold a house for two or four million, a tribunal of inquiry found him to be corrupt, people thought there would be justice when we found out the truth, maybe that wasn't such a wise assumption in hindsight.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Someone who don't spend 15,000 on hair stylists
    GRAPHIC%5CPORTRAIT%5Cportrait-boris.jpg

Originally posted by swiss
    Because this is the same Tánaiste that belongs to a government that has decided to cut the community employment scheme, which helped the poor and marginalised in society to earn themselves some kind of a living.

With falling long term unemployment and issuing of many work visas to non nationals - cutbacks on social employment schemes should not come as a surprise.
    . If Mary Harney wants to spend €15,000 to cover up her warts and wrinkles, then I certainly won't stop her. However, I take issue with her using taxpayer money to do so.

This government is spending vast amounts on social welfare. What % do you think 15K represents?

Do you think that US citizens give out about the make up worn by the Dick Chaney?

Mary Harney has done more for employment in this country than many. The goal is to get people back to work. She has preformed this function well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Originally posted by Cork
    With falling long term unemployment and issuing of many work visas to non nationals - cutbacks on social employment schemes should not come as a surprise.
    The heaven help us when rates of cancer-related deaths falls, because the government will immediately cut spending on oncology clinics...
    :rollyes:

This government is spending vast amounts on social welfare. What % do you think 15K represents?
    About 15k's worth too much Cork. This is taxpayers money, not Harney's private funds!
    Do you think that US citizens give out about the make up worn by the Dick Chaney?
    No, because it comes out of his own pocket, or more accurately, his campaign funding.
    Mary Harney has done more for employment in this country than many. The goal is to get people back to work. She has preformed this function well.
    Prove it.
    I look about and see the industry that started the Celtic Tiger boom finding itself being slowly shut down from all corners.
    I see third-level education, the only source of our only natural resource (our highly skilled workforce), being strangled with financial cuts.

I don't see how any of this translates to "promoting employment".

I know you are trolling - Cork - but that is not 15K total - it's 15K for ONE perk for ONE TD - if it was 15K devided between them all so as they woundn't look like gob****es on foreign TV I woundn't begrudge that.

Look at the total expenses in the Dail and as a rough guide every million spent (cf. Govt Jet) is one euro out every private sector employee pocket or one euro not going into the pocket of everyone that need its - school kids, care-ers (SP) long term unemployable , pensioners etc. etc.

BTW: Many if not most US senators are milllionares - they don't need to be in policits for the wages..

Originally posted by Capt'n Midnight

Look at the total expenses in the Dail and as a rough guide every million spent (cf. Govt Jet) is one euro out every private sector employee pocket or one euro not going into the pocket of everyone that need its - school kids, care-ers (SP) long term unemployable , pensioners etc. etc.

Waste of Public money needs to be avoided. Schemes & Programmes need to be under constant review to make sure that the taxpayer is getting value for money.

But - Most democracys have Jets. Many Film Stars and Rock Stars have them. Yet, are we to begrudge our government a jet at the time we take up the EU presidentcy.

We live on an island. Our government needs a jet for doing business.

Government Information Campaigns cost much more than 15K. There was a recent one to tell people to "Shop Around". School Kids Of 5 know this.

Money could be saved by government departments. But the government jet is an investment which will be used by other Irish Administrations.

Do Labour or FG have a policy of not using government jets?

But - Most democracys have Jets.
    No, they don't. How many times do I have to post the policy document from the UK regarding air travel before you get it through that thick skin over your ears Cork? We Do Not Need A Private Jet. We can't afford it, we shouldn't be wasting the little money we do have and we shouldn't be allowing the government to avoid using the national carrier or other civilian airlines.

We live on an island. Our government needs a jet for doing business.
    No, we don't. The UK is also an Island, and one I'll remind you, with a lot more money than us - and they don't need a jet for doing business, they quite happily use BA or other arilines. And the same can be said for Iceland and in fact, every other small nation.

Cut your cloth according to your measure Cork.
    Government Information Campaigns cost much more than 15K.
    And generally do more good than primping up Mary Harney's hair (BTW mary, stop eating for a few weeks - it'll cost a lot less and you'll look one hell of a lot better than anything a new hairdo will do for you!)

Not the thread for this but the Govt Jet is not an investment - it's VERY expensive for what it is. The initial cost is only part of the ongoing maintainance costs.

And since Aer Lingus and Ryanair already have daily services to almost every where they are legitimately supposed to go.. (not to mention all of the Aer Lingus "one world" partners) there is no real NEED for it.

PS. Denmark had a much bigger air force than we do but don't need a jet with trans-atlantic range.

PPS. Does the govt jet have to stop in shannon ?

And since Aer Lingus and Ryanair already have daily services to almost every where they are legitimately supposed to go.. (not to mention all of the Aer Lingus "one world" partners) there is no real NEED for it.

Aer Lingus have cut back on regional services from Cork. This then is said to be our National Carrier?

God Help us - Ministers arranging meetings around timetables.

I think the purchase of the jet was financed thru savings.

Purchase is cheaper than lease or hire.

But if ye want to take about make up & stuff.

How much does our State broadcaster pay on such items?
    What politicians use such faculities before appearing on TV?
    What does this add to the TV licence?

When Ireland gets the EU presidentcy

A lot of events will be sponsored by companies wanting to be associated with the event.

This will save us (the taxpayer) many €.

Much credit has to go to the government seeing this opportunity.

I have no doubt a tidy some will be saved.

Aer Lingus have cut back on regional services from Cork. This then is said to be our National Carrier?
    This then is the national carrier. Or did Fianna Fail put taxpayer's money in the wrong airline for donkey's years?
    God Help us - Ministers arranging meetings around timetables.
    What, you mean that they might have to do work like the rest of us? God help us if they actually had to sit with the rest of the plebs in first class...
    I think the purchase of the jet was financed thru savings.
    Does it matter where the money came from? It didn't go to fix a school, or keep another A&E bed open, or pay for another kid's education.
    Purchase is cheaper than lease or hire.
    No, it isn't. Purchase requires you to take on maintainance and purchase specialised equipment. This is why large companies like Eircom have been selling off fixed assets like buildings and vehicle fleets for the last few years in favour of hired or leased assets. Because it's cheaper.
    When Ireland gets the EU presidentcy
    A lot of events will be sponsored by companies wanting to be associated with the event.
    This will save us (the taxpayer) many €.
    Excuse me? It's bad enough that you want to divert funds from hospitals and schools to keep mary harney and bertie happy sitting in a private jet getting a manicure, but now you want to sell the EU presidency in our name???
    :mad:
    Much credit has to go to the government seeing this opportunity.
    I have no doubt a tidy some will be saved.
    Bonkey, this has to be a troll.

Originally posted by Sparks

No, it isn't. Purchase requires you to take on maintainance and purchase specialised equipment. This is why large companies like Eircom have been selling off fixed assets like buildings and vehicle fleets for the last few years in favour of hired or leased assets. Because it's cheaper.

Excuse me? It's bad enough that you want to divert funds from hospitals and schools to keep mary harney and bertie happy sitting in a private jet getting a manicure, but now you want to sell the EU presidency in our name???
    :mad:

Companys will pay to get their names associated with given events - thus saving the taxpayer money.

Purchase is cheaper in the long run. Lease/ Hire companies will not hire at break even. Some companies hire expensive equipment for reasons of cash flow.

So what?

But the government needs to look at high spending deparrtments to eliminate possibble slack & wastage of public money.

The Colltroller & Auditor General normally does this along with the Dail Public Accounts Commottee - They both seem to be doing a pretty excellent job.

Companys will pay to get their names associated with given events - thus saving the taxpayer money.
    In other words, you'd sell the EU presidency. Which would be about the worst thing I can think of doing for our national name shy of calling a german diplomat a kappo....
    Purchase is cheaper in the long run. Lease/ Hire companies will not hire at break even. Some companies hire expensive equipment for reasons of cash flow.
    No cork, purchase is not cheaper in the long run, that's why Eircom has been selling it's buildings and vehicle fleet off and taking out leases instead - that way they get to do their job (providing a phone service) rather than maintaining buildings and trucks.
    So what?
    So they spent our money on their haircuts and manicures. Which have nothing to do with their jobs. And frankly, trying to doll up Mary Harney is sort of like trying to put a new coat of paint on a ruined building. It's a waste of money. What could that 15 grand have bought? Could it have fixed a school's dry rot problem or hired a rent-o-kill guy to fix their rat infestation?
    But no, it got spent on haircuts.

But the government needs to look at high spending deparrtments to eliminate possibble slack & wastage of public money.
    The Colltroller & Auditor General normally does this along with the Dail Public Accounts Commottee - They both seem to be doing a pretty excellent job.
    Not good enough if this much is spent on Mary Harney's hair! And we haven't even mentioned Bertie's "Communications Department"...

So they spent our money on their haircuts and manicures. Which have nothing to do with their jobs. And frankly, trying to doll up Mary Harney is sort of like trying to put a new coat of paint on a ruined building. It's a waste of money. What could that 15 grand have bought? Could it have fixed a school's dry rot problem or hired a rent-o-kill guy to fix their rat infestation?
    But no, it got spent on haircuts.

If 15k was spared in one department it does not automatically to another one.

Why are tou singling out Mary Harney?

Do Opposition TDs not claim expenses?

Mary Harney is a decent & Hard Working Politician. When, the rainbow government were in power - I surpose they dod not claim for such things?

• Advertisement

If 15k was spared in one department it does not automatically to another one.
    Nope. But if you spend it, it's gone.
    That's sortof hard to deny, isn't it cork?
    Why are tou singling out Mary Harney?
    Because the original story was about her expenses.
    Do try to keep up....
    Mary Harney is a decent & Hard Working Politician. When, the rainbow government were in power - I surpose they dod not claim for such things?
    Let me get this straight - you want me to not criticise Harney, who happily lambasted anti-war protestors as anti-american (only to see Bertie jump into bed with the anit-war sentiment in recent weeks), and who's been about as true to her principles as Fr. Fortune - because I'm not criticising politicians who've been out of power for the last six years?

You'll have to come up with something better than that, Cork.

Eircom is not an example to use - they are asset stripping and by employing sub contractors for much (all?) of the installations they can cut numbers any time they like.

Eircom is not an example to use - they are asset stripping and by employing sub contractors for much (all?) of the installations they can cut numbers any time they like.
    Yes, but the initial decision to move from fixed assets to leased assets was taken before the current situation in eircom took prevalance - at that point in time, the goal was to make eircom competitive rather than the current goal, which appears to be to sell the eircom family silver :(

because I'm not criticising politicians who've been out of power for the last six years?

Should we stop the tribunerals work into the awarding of the second mobile phone licence by the Labour/FG government?

So, are opposition partys currently not claiming expenses?

What political partys are aganist claiming for haircuts and manicures?

Should we stop the tribunerals work into the awarding of the second mobile phone licence by the Labour/FG government?
    Why would we? What has this to do with the argument?
    So, are opposition partys currently not claiming expenses?
    What political partys are aganist claiming for haircuts and manicures?
    What, now I must choose sides or I'm not allowed to criticise corrupt practises?
    I think Cork, that you need to get your head out of that dark warm place that you've got it located in at the moment.

If nothing else, you're making Bertie walk funny....

What, now I must choose sides or I'm not allowed to criticise corrupt practises?

Give examples and show how they are corrupt?

Give examples and show how they are corrupt?
    Where would you like me to begin? Redmond? Lawlor? Ahern?
    Well, why not. Let's start with Ahern.

Tell me Cork, what's it called when I fake a resume to get a job, putting two fake degrees in my CV and claiming to be a professional when I've never worked at the profession?

This thread is about "Ray Burke paid €41,492 pension as ex-minister"

then it went onto Mary Harney's expenses.

These were legitimate expenses.

This thread is about "Ray Burke paid €41,492 pension as ex-minister"
    then it went onto Mary Harney's expenses.

Now you want to stick to the subject?
    *lol*
    Cork, you have a neck like a jockey's bollocks.
    Too bad you got the horses's smarts to go with it :(
    These were legitimate expenses.
    No, they weren't - that's the whole point!

• Advertisement

No, they weren't - that's the whole point!

Yes they were - otherwise they would not not been claimed for or payment of which sanctioned.

Why don't you think the oppostion are not running with this one?

SF claim expenses from Westminister & don't even take up their seats.

Are these expenses legitimate?

Advertisement