Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sub-woofer connection question

Options
  • 23-12-2003 10:29pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I've just got the Creative 5700 speakers and having a problem connecting the sub woofer. Basically there's two little switches on the rear of the subwoofer - a + and -. You're meant to press these switches down and trap the two ends of a wire (from the amplifier) beneath them. The problem is these two ends of wire are copper, sheathed in a piece of round black plastic. Every time I insert the little black plastic thing into the hole it pops back out. Am I meant to remove this plastic covering (because it IS only a sheath right) and then insert them into the subwoofer? Any ideas?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Yes, you are definitely supposed to remove the outer plastic sheath, so that you have just the bare copper being inserted into the speaker terminals. A pliers or sharp scissors will do the job nicely. Bare only about 1/2 an inch or so of the copper. The copper will be stranded, so twist the section you have just bared to make it easier to insert into the speaker terminal clips.

I'd be surprised if the cable with the speakers isn't already stripped. Sometimes what you can get with systems like this is cable where they have cut the platic sheath, but don't actually remove it - it is still on the ends of the cable. This fits with what you describe. Is this the case? You need to pull off the cut bit yourself, then twist the copper, then insert it.

Robbie

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cheers! That's what I thought! One of the little black caplets fell off of one and I twisted the wire and inserted it in (I didn't cut it as the length was about .5 inch). I'll try the other one now. Merry Christmas!

Advertisement