Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why backing up is important

Options
  • 23-12-2003 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

My laptop display died a few weeks back. It flickered a few times and that was it. Worse than that, the external display option wouldn't work either. Of course, although I preach about backing up to everyone else, it was at least a month since I did any backup.
    I eventually got an adapter to allow me to connect my 2.5" drive to the desktop PC. I bought DriveImage and copied the drive to one on my desktop unit. Large hard drives do come in handy for stuff other than ripping videos:)
    By the time I had done all that and found all the necessary software to enable me to keep working while sending the laptop away for repair, I had burned almost a full day. Of course, had the hard drive failed on the machine, I would've been really screwed. I have had problems before where a backup would've saved me but I hadn't done them either.
    My new years resolution is to backup religiously. I think I will run a copy of the C drive once a month and in between, do a backup of the My Documents folder and email folders. I have a 512Mb memory key which would probably hold at least all the relevant data in the My Docs folder.
    Who out there does this properly? I hope most people who carry their work lives on a laptop are good at backing up. Anyone want to give me the foolproof (and practical) backup strategy?
    I connect to my home network most days and work from home most of the time.
    Regards, iwb.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

My strategy isn't perfect but it serves my purposes.

I only really care about my documents, not the integrity of the system / machine (not connected to and network / internet).

I have two physically separate drives (one is also partitioned). At the start I copied everything onto the c: drive and then copied that to the e: drive. I then created a "backups" directory on the f: drive and put the "master" into it.

Once a month I search for every document changed in the last month and copy them into a dated directory in the "backups" directory on the f: drive, e.g. today would be backup20031223 (sorts better alphanumerically than backup23122003). Repeat every month.
    Every day or two, I will back up that day or two's files onto a zip disk.

For very important files that are changed on an ongoing basis e.g. big spreadsheets I've built up, every few days I create a new document20031223.xls (or whatever file).

Once a month I'll scandisk / defrag everything.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

for quick and nasty backups look at

xcopy *.* X: /s /d /m

This copies all changed files to drive X if they are newer than the ones there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

Ye guys might think that this is sad, but I run nightly backups on my home network , which consits on 4 pcs which various ppl using them I only backup all the pst files on each pc, all the my docs for all pc's and some other stuff, things like my 200gig mp3 colelction I dont backup, I use a DLT 4000 unit and have 5 tapes and a monthly tape. I use Arcserve 2000 for the backup software ...

Advertisement