Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really Crap Irish Websites

Options
  • 24-12-2003 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭

Here's just a few really bad Irish Websites, supposedly designed by pros:

www.topgifts.ie
    www.wwc.ie

Feel free to add your own really crap Website...

No offense intended if the designers are here...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

That second one is very sore on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

well chosen. those sites truly are grim. I can't imagine that too many people are enticed by what they see to take a course in web design from the Wicklow Web Centre...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

http://www.wwc.ie/
    If you like our site please tell your friends, and/or contact us at sales@wcc.ie

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

<meta name="generator" content="Adobe GoLive 5">

ugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Mad Mike

Bit of a before and after story this.

Check out

Old GRIAN website
    In particular check out the suggested subscription in the "Get Involved" section

Now look at the transformed:

New GRIAN website

OOPS - had to edit to get links to work. Sorry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

This is my site.

I did it for a college assignment. I think its pretty crap so if anyone has any advice, please post.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Originally posted by clownboy
    This is my site.

I did it for a college assignment. I think its pretty crap so if anyone has any advice, please post.
    don't use Flash - search engines cannot find your main index page. Alternatively have a skip intro link (in HTML) at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

The Wicklow Web Centre has a list of sites developed by them, one or two are not terrible but the majority are so appaling one wonders how they paid them for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dynamic.ie

Originally posted by clownboy
    This is my site.

Not a bad site in general. Has a decent layout and easy to navigate.

No preloader on flash intro so slowed down have way through - even on dsl. Thumbnails on gallery page are 48kb and 78kb. Should optimise these down to about 4/5kb.

I'd use a form to mail script on the feedback form you've got. Wouldn't submit one of the forms the way you have it set up.

topgifts.ie - very suprised with topgifts. For a company advertising on tv, I thought the side would be a lot better than it is. If they are going to spend money attracting customers to their site via tv ads, they should at least make a good return from it by having a decent website to match. Some gifts were pretty cool but site turned me off using it!

Cheeurs...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

$2.5 million per year for a subscription to grain? Not too sure about that one...

They do seem genuinly interested in making contact with fortune 500 companies though, I wonder why that is?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,903 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Originally posted by colm_c
    www.wwc.ie
    Tried the links at the bottom right
    404 on the AVG one
    national photoshop use is a USA site
    the link to google.com should really be google.ie !

Some of the links to their own site look at 800x600 but at 1024x768 you get yellow writing on a white background (waves) cringe...

Anyway this is about the best bit
    xmaswebbanner.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

Originally posted by kbannon
    don't use Flash - search engines cannot find your main index page. Alternatively have a skip intro link (in HTML) at the bottom.

I agree with kbannon, dont use flash - but search engines will find your website once you have links back to it - regardless of whether its flash or not.
    Google will also follow links within a flash movie, there are also alternative tags to include in the flash code that will help with being found also.

But definitely as a rule - steer clear of flash unless completely necessary if you want to be found on seach eninges!

T

Advertisement