Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd burner bargain

• 24-12-2003 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭

hi all,

Just got myself a nec nd1300a dual standard dvd recorder from www.bigpockets.co.uk for £84stg including delivery to ROI.works out bout e120 thats e55 cheaper than marx anyway.only a few left so get em while u can.

cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

And sorry to burst your bubble , but you can get the much superior Pioneer 06 for about the same price in England atm.

carb.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Post up your links folks, i'll be looking for one of these for my rig in the new year. :)

Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

I got on for christmas 94 stg

happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I got my OEM Pioneer A06 from blankdiscshop.co.uk for 83.48 stg.

(It cost about 20 stg to deliver though !!!! that said I did buy tons of blank DVDS and another burner for a mate so overall it worked out alright).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭spuddy

Originally posted by carbsy
    And sorry to burst your bubble , but you can get the much superior Pioneer 06 for about the same price in England atm.

carb.

what makes the pioneer superior?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

The Pioneer is far better in the media compatibility stakes.

I was looking at the NEC myself, at the time blankdiscshop were selling both drives, however if I looked at their media list, more than half said not recomended for use with the NEC1300A, the Pioneer had no such problems and thats what I was sold on in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭muffen

The Pioneer is the most popular burner out there right now. Therefore, there are more hacks out there for the Pioneer burner (regionfree hack, speedhack etc).

Also because it is a popular burner, a lot of media is tested directly against Pioneer burners, which is probably why the Pioneer has the best media support.

I have the Pioneer 105 (same as A05). I must say I'm really happy with it. I was going to buy a multi-standard burner, but fortunately, I went with the pioneer in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Im Sold :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭ando

Pioneer 105 you say.. I have to look into that. Looking for burner now myself

• Advertisement

Pioneer 105 you say.. I have to look into that. Looking for burner now myself

Actually, I got the 105 just cause I bought it before the 106 came out.
    If you're looking at pioneer burners right now, you should probably look at the 106 or A06 (they are both the same burner, one is the OEM version and the other one is the boxed version).

Also, there is a Teac burner that is really the 106 rebranded. If you can get that one cheaper (don't recall the modell number), you should definately get that one instead. All the 106 stuff, including bioses, will work for the Teac.

Pioneer 106 you say.. I have to look into that :D

ta m8 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I bought the Pioneer 106 months ago. I do a lot of burning, both CD and DVD, and have used some pretty cheap discs too as you can imagine... but I've only had 1 coaster in all that time.

Best burner I've ever owned tbh.

Also MIxie

where you get your blank DVD's from. thanks

paddy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

OEM equipment doesn't come with a fancy box or manuals. probably no software either. The actual hardware is exactly the same.

Righto, the Pioneer DVR 106 - disk drive - DVD±RW - IDE for E210 on Komplett, does anyone have any idea where I could get this drive any cheaper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

http://www.kanection.co.uk/product.php/82/0/
    about €140 there including delivery - im thinking about getting one aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Originally posted by paddyc

What does OEM mean?

Also Mixie

where you get your blank DVD's from. thanks

paddy

Original Equipment Manufacturer IIRC. Usually OEM software/hardware, as Stephen says, is a stripped down version of a retail product. You don't the the box, usually you won't get the 'free' software, and the manual contains just enough information to get the thing up and running (if included at all). It's worth noting that some vendors change bundled devices/cabling too for the OEM editions, ATI OEM products for example often don't include the connection-box-thingy (that's the technical term I believe).

As for where I buy my blank discs, it varies. I've bought media from Marx computers, Peats, and BlankDiscShop recently.

Originally posted by ando
    Righto, the Pioneer DVR 106 - disk drive - DVD±RW - IDE for E210 on Komplett, does anyone have any idea where I could get this drive any cheaper?

BlankDiscShop are selling it for £83.48 which works out at €118.91 (+shipping). That's where I bought my 106 anyway, and shipping was £20 +vat at the time for that drive, and a lot of media. Unfortunately, the drive is currently out of stock on their website, but they're still a fair bit cheaper than komplett :(

Wow, excellent links

I think I'll go with kanection.co.uk. Bloody hell, thats saved me a good few quid ;)

and... once you have bought the Pioneer 106, you have to flash it...

http://pioneerdvd.firmware-flash.com/index.html

scroll bottom up on that page, and you'll find a firmware for the 106/A06 that makes the drive region-free, increases ripping speed from 2x to 12x, and increases the burnspeed for certain DVDs.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by muffen
    you'll find a firmware for the 106/A06 that makes the drive region-free, increases ripping speed from 2x to 12x

whats ripping speed? + region free? (newbie to dvd here) :rolleyes:

whats ripping speed? + region free?

Ripping is when you copy the content of the DVD disc to the HD. You can rip movies, music etc.

Region free is for watching/ripping DVD movies. By default, you can only change the region 5 times, but with this firmware, the number of times you can change region is unlimited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

Originally posted by spuddy

Do I really need to say more? ;)

carb.

I just went to the link and downloaded this to disk, is this the right one and also how do I get it off the floppy and onto the DVD burner ?? thanks paddy

Pioneer DVR-106 v1.07 RPC-1 + 2xDVD-R + 12xRip

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

You would need to burn the file onto a cd and boot from it most likely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by carbsy
    Do I really need to say more? ;)

carb.

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Originally posted by paddyc
    I just went to the link and downloaded this to disk, is this the right one and also how do I get it off the floppy and onto the DVD burner ?? thanks paddy

Pioneer DVR-106 v1.07 RPC-1 + 2xDVD-R + 12xRip

I've just flashed my drive recently without any problems using the OEM_Pioneer_DVR-106_UNIVERSAL_Flash_1.0.zip downloaded from the link below.
    http://flashman.rpc1.org/Firmware/PIONEER/DVR-106D/

This file flashes all Pioneer DVR106 Drives Retail or OEM and makes them region free, 12X rip and 2xDVD-R.

There is no need to put the files on a floppy, you can flash the drive from the DOS prompt from within Windows.

If you need any help, I'll be more than happy to run you through the process.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i got the Optorite 4x +/- off ebay for £75 (lucky last minute bid). kelkoo have THEM for £78, and the newer 8x burners for £101 too, which might be nice if you're a speed freak. :D

both do HD-Burn too, which means you can put 1.4gb onto a standard 700mb cd-r by using the increased precision of the dvd laser (smaller pits you see!:rolleyes:). handy for cheap backups where you don't want to waste a dvd-r.

overall I'm very happy with it, and haven't had any problems so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Are HD-burned CD-Rs readable in regular DVD-ROM drives? Or even CDROM/RW drives (doubtful!)?

• Advertisement

cheers paul would you mind running through the process in brief, bearing in mind I am DOS prompt ignorant.

many thanks

Advertisement