Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dvd burner bargain

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

Ordered a NEC ND-2500 from computeruniverse.net.

Price: €148,91 (ex. VAT) but inc. delivery to Ireland.

If you can purchase ex-VAT then this site may be of use to you.

viking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Ebonyks

NEC-1300a from Jes-Computer only €94.

It would be nice if the postage was cheaper though. Don't knock the 1300 either, with the right driver flashed i it works a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Paul007

Originally posted by paddyc
    cheers paul would you mind running through the process in brief, bearing in mind I am DOS prompt ignorant.

many thanks

Ok, here goes.

First off, remove any discs from the drive and make sure you don't have any Intel Application Accelerator or any third party IDE controller accelerators or drivers installed.
    Close all running programs.

If you are running XP, you won't need to use DOS. Just edit the flasher.pif file so it corresponds to your Pioneer drive letter.

To do this, go to flasher.pif properties and choose the program tab.
    In the cm line box you will see the folowing:

DVRFlash.exe -v -f G: R6100006.105 R6100106.107

As you can see, drive letter G: is the default.
    If your drive is different to this then change it to the correct drive letter, making sure to use uppercase.
    Apply and exit.

Now just click on flasher.pif and it will guide you through the process.
    If you have an OEM drive you will receive a mismatch error, this is expected.
    These instructions should also work with Win2K.

If you are running Windows 98, the instructions are similiar except you need to find the SCSI ID No. of your drive instead of the drive letter.

The easiest way to do this-
    Create a folder on your C drive called flash.
    Extract contents of OEM_Pioneer_DVR-106_UNIVERSAL_Flash_1.0.zip to the folder.

Go to the ms-dos prompt from within windows.
    type
    cd\ [enter]
    cd flash [enter]

To get the SCSI ID no. of your drive.
    Type
    dvrflash -v 0.0.0 [enter]

If your Pioneer drive details appear, the SCSI ID No. of your drive is 0.0.0.
    If they don't appear try dvrflash -v 1.0.0, dvrflash -v 1.0.1 and so on until you find the correct ID.

Once you have this you can either edit the flasher.pif and replace the drive letter with the SCSI ID No. you've just acquired or simply use the following syntax to flash the drive

DVRFlash.exe -v -f x.y.z R6100006.105 R6100106.107

Note: x.y.z should be replaced by your Scsi ID no.

That's it, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

so this Pioneer 106 dvd burner from Kanection is pretty good value then is it? works out at 139euro... what are they like for delivery reliabilty/charges etc?

Originally posted by skywalker_208
    so this Pioneer 106 dvd burner from Kanection is pretty good value then is it? works out at 139euro... what are they like for delivery reliabilty/charges etc?

I haven't dealt with Kanection before but their delivery charge to Ireland is £12 [€17]
    If it's the retail version it's not a bad deal, it works out at about €155 incl del.

Having said that, you can get the new Pioneer DVR-107 8x OEM from Overclockers for €180 incl del.
    Well worth the extra few quid.

Personally, I bought the Pioneer DVR-106 OEM from OC'ers. Cost €145 incl del and took about a week to arrive.

Another consideration might be Digital Media Direct.
    I seen an ad for this place recently. They're based in Tallaght and sell the Pioneer 106 for €150.
    They also have blank DVD-R's, Cases ect
    Ph.01 4627511

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

SVP have the Pioneer 106 for €122 + delivery and the 107 for €143 + delivery. They also have a NEC 1300 4x writer for €87 + delivery. Personally I would go for a Pioneer, they have by far the best reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Those looking at the 106 should now consider the 107 - Pioneers latest 8X model for future proofing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 402 ✭✭C@non

what about this guys? its a great Deal..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html

Is the NEC worth it?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I recently bought an 8x NEC 2500a burner from Jes Computer at €119.95. Delivery cost €17 for the drive and 10 blank dvdrs. It was the cheapest at the time. Delivery took nearly 2 weeks though but still, I wasn't in a rush.

I only bought a spindle of 10 4x Princo DVDrs to try out, and they seem fine. I burned one at 8x max speed and surprisingly it worked, though probably a fluke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Originally posted by C@non
    what about this guys? its a great Deal..

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html

Is the NEC worth it?

Why are they always beige? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Jes Computer have a special running on teh LG GSA-4081B 8xspeed bulk going for €109.

Only DVD+R is 8x. DVD-R is 4x but then this drive also copes with DVD-RAM (3x)

LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Originally posted by Paul007
    Ok, here goes.

First off, remove any discs from the drive and make sure you don't have any Intel Application Accelerator or any third party IDE controller accelerators or drivers installed.
    Close all running programs.

If you are running XP, you won't need to use DOS. Just edit the flasher.pif file so it corresponds to your Pioneer drive letter.

To do this, go to flasher.pif properties and choose the program tab.
    In the cm line box you will see the folowing:

DVRFlash.exe -v -f G: R6100006.105 R6100106.107

As you can see, drive letter G: is the default.
    If your drive is different to this then change it to the correct drive letter, making sure to use uppercase.
    Apply and exit.

Now just click on flasher.pif and it will guide you through the process.
    If you have an OEM drive you will receive a mismatch error, this is expected.
    These instructions should also work with Win2K.

If you are running Windows 98, the instructions are similiar except you need to find the SCSI ID No. of your drive instead of the drive letter.

The easiest way to do this-
    Create a folder on your C drive called flash.
    Extract contents of OEM_Pioneer_DVR-106_UNIVERSAL_Flash_1.0.zip to the folder.

Go to the ms-dos prompt from within windows.
    type
    cd\ [enter]
    cd flash [enter]

To get the SCSI ID no. of your drive.
    Type
    dvrflash -v 0.0.0 [enter]

If your Pioneer drive details appear, the SCSI ID No. of your drive is 0.0.0.
    If they don't appear try dvrflash -v 1.0.0, dvrflash -v 1.0.1 and so on until you find the correct ID.

Once you have this you can either edit the flasher.pif and replace the drive letter with the SCSI ID No. you've just acquired or simply use the following syntax to flash the drive

DVRFlash.exe -v -f x.y.z R6100006.105 R6100106.107

Note: x.y.z should be replaced by your Scsi ID no.

That's it, good luck.

Paul, quick question about the 106 as you seem to know a bit about them. Someone in work said I should enable DMA for this drive, but whenever I do the machine reboots itself constantly. Whenever I turn DMA off it works fine and I haven't had any problems with what I've burned so far. Was the guy in work leading me up the garden path?

SteM

Ideally, DMA should be enabled on any IDE devices as in most cases it improves overall performance. The 106 definately supports it as I have it enabled myself.

Unfortunately, not all system architecture supports it so if you're having problems it's best to leave it disabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭SteM

Cheers, I'll leave it disabled as the PCs definately more stable like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭cosgrove80

http://www.jes-computer.de now have the pioneer 107 for € 143,89 + P&P

http://www.jes-computer.de/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=131_95&products_id=15360

Has anyone seen it cheaper? I'm hoping to place an order over the weekend

Also my german isnt so good. How much is shipping? €15 or €17?

Advertisement