Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIOS Beeps

• 24-12-2003 12:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the problem when your getting Long beep and then two short ones. Its Phoenix Bios.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Memory problem (Check the RAM)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I actually think its the graphics card now because everything else seems to happen, keyboard lights flash then the hard disk loads and the floppy is checked as well. Dunno what could be wrong, i earth myself when doing anything with a pc.

See if i can find a spare gfx card...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Sir Random

1 long + 2 short = Gfx card or monitor connection error (edit: for AMI/Award bios)

You could try removing and reseating the card, make sure the clip is fully engaged (if there is one)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

On the off chance it is not set to halt on all errors and finishes booting try a dos boot disk

when it boots to dos you can type

Echo ^G

^G being control G - if you hear a beep then you know it's graphics card 'cos everyting else would have to be working to get that far...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,526 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've a similar problem. See here for more info..... (and some suggestions).

Won't get a chance to try any of these until next week, though.
    Let me know how you get on, Dempsey.

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

What motherboard is it?And what is graphics card?Are they both runing at 1.5v?If you put a old graphics card into a new agp8 system i am not sure if it will work as powers are different.Give more detail.Other thing which works is put the card in slightly sideways and try it as this worked previosly for me.Last thing clean contacts on gtraphics card in case of dust etc especially if its old.regds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I reseated the Graphics Card and its sorted now. Thanks you all for your help. Merry Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Tommygib

Hi,
    have a look at

http://www.wimsbios.com/

Click on FAQs, and go to question #18, "What do the POST & Beep codes mean?"

I know that this reply is now academic at this stage but it may help someone later.

Tommy.

Advertisement