Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engine Alley @ Eamonn Doran's Dec 30th

Options
  • 24-12-2003 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Back from Alley-land for 1 night only.....

Engine Alley
    +
    Special Guests
    Rats of the Shining Path

Eamonn Dorans
    Tuesday Dec 30th
    Doors 7.30pm
    Admission €10

Engine Alley on stage 10pm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

should be the gig of the festive season.

its good that its not in the kip that is the hub too !

the night for the return of the engine.......

any reports from kilkenny last night ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tony Corrigan

I wasn’t quite sure what to expect as I ventured back into Dorans last night. As I descended the stairs, I happily saw as decent sized crowd, especially considering the week that is in it, many coming out to rekindle the embers of a time when the Alley’s stood on the cusp of greatness.
    Even though Steve Lillywhite turned the nobs on ‘A Sonic Holiday’, their recorded material never captured the energy and dynamism of their live spectacles. That sense of drama, the spectacle; was why we came tonight and we didn’t have long to wait. Brian Kenealy, guitarist and late of Smithfield Ice Rink, strode crutchfully onto the stage, collapsed into a chair and placed his plaster-cast leg to the left of his guitar effects board.
    Canice, Eamonn and Paul O’Byrne completed the line up and gave us almost two hours of hits and favourites from their back-catalogue. Gone is the glam of the early days, but the volume is turned right up. This is the way the songs were meant to be heard, meaty riffs and a pulsating bass-line. Canice camped it up, ad-libbed through songs and generally played without inhibition, blending Shot in the Light with The Velvet Undergrounds “I’m Beginning to see the light’ in a manner befitting BP Fallon!
    Searing guitars underpinned Telescope Girl, Robin Hood, Ballad of the Sinking Star, The Fridge Song and of course Car on Fire in a set that included pretty much everything from the first EP and album, with a smattering of tracks from the second and darker ‘Shot in the Light’.
    Canice arrived back on stage after the first encore to play a few tunes himself. I think he was enjoying himself such that the rest of the band, including the semi-mobile lead guitarist, made it back for finale that included Old Lovers, Switch and Neil Young’s Southern Man.
    Although slightly shambolic at times, Canice accurately summed the night up when he said “Don’t mind the mistakes, just get into the vibe”. And so we did….and so we’ll come again.

.....excellent gig.

despite some of the band members putting on about 5 stone,it was a great gig.

hopefully its not the last we see of them......:rolleyes:

Advertisement