Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting up

• 24-12-2003 2:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

This might be better in the net/comms but hopefully someone here can help me.
    I'm trying to set up a crossover between my Laptop and the house PC. I had this set up before but the house PC has just been upgraded. Both are running Win2kPro.
    The house PC has a built in 10/100 nic and the same with the laptop.
    I set both IPs, laptop 192.168.0.1 and house PC ..0.2 Both are on the same subnet mask and both are set to the same workgroup, so that should be everything should it not??
    Well for some reason I can't ping the home PC from the Laptop but I can ping the laptop from the home PC.

Anybody have any ideas?
    Cheers for any help guys and a very happy christmas to all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

are you running a software firewall? if so, is it set to block incoming OR outgoing ping requests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

You have File and printer sharing and Windows network setup yes?, how about pinging 127.0.0.1 on the two computers in case there is a prob with the network card. Setup a network on the computer giving you jip, Right click on My Computer -> Network Identity -> Network ID.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by OfflerCrocGod
    how about pinging 127.0.0.1 on the two computers in case there is a prob with the network card. /B]

That won't test a network card, every machine with tcp/ip has a 127.0.0.1 address, whether it has a network card or not.

What you were thinking of is pinging a machine's own IP, (the 192.- one) as far as I know that actually does test the network card that IP is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭gobby

are you running a software firewall? if so, is it set to block incoming OR outgoing ping requests.
    definitly agree with this one. it had me pulling out my hair for a long time till i discovered it...

Advertisement