Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you say?

• 24-12-2003 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Currently i'm looking for a part time job. More than likely tech support since programmers are not in demand for part time work. So i'm kinda thinking about companies that would hire such staff. Now i've got experience in tech support and programming so the CV is in order and well layed out. The only problem is what to say in the email. I know there is a cover letters thread but i read down through it and it didn't really help me out much.

So this is what i've got so far
    "Dear Sir/Madame,
    I am writing to you so that i can put forward my CV in the hope you may have a position availble which would suit my needs. I am currently studying in Griffith College and I am in my final year of a Computer Science Degree.

Ideally i would be looking for a part time job within the IT section of your company as i have previous experince (over 2 years) of working in IT in both a technical support role and as a developer. Details of which are in my CV which is attached to this mail.

I look forward to you reply.

Yours sincerely,
    My name."

The kinda of applications i'm doing is kinda cold calling.....just picking a company and firing off my CV with the cover letter above.

So what do you think?? To cool for school? Comments / suggestions / questions are what i'm looking for.

Also if anyone has any ideas of where i could possibly try for then whck em up here.

:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Include what hours you CAN work.
    Maybe lose the bit about still being in college, and just tell them you can only work part time, but you are nearly finished your degree. You get the same point accross, with less emphasis on the "college" part. I wouldn't hire a student, so try not to put the emphasis on the fact that you're a student - that word carries it's own baggage. if you don't mention it (but still mention your degree), you come accross more serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭quank

grammar and proper spelling would be important IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I am writing to you so that i can put forward my CV in the hope you may have a position availble which would suit my needs.

I'd recommend putting less emphasis on your needs, and more emphasis on your prospective employers' needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭usualsuspect

Make sure you do more than just send your letter/CV off. You have much greater chance of success if you do a bit of homework on the company to find out who does the hiring/firing in the area you want to work in. Then ring them up or better still make an appointment to meet with them in person. They may not have a job at the moment but you can be sure they will remember you when they do. The problem with just sending a CV is that it is very easy for a busy person to push it to one side and forget about it. So you should always back up a CV with some personal conact (telephone is OK but avoid just sending letters or emails). You will have more success with smaller companies if you are after part time work. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Peace

Ok so the suit my need part is maybe something that can be cut.

Quank, are you saying that the above letter has bad grammar and spelling....if so point it out please?

herbie, i don';t know what hours i can work yet as the semester hasn't started yet and for some reason the timetable is never ready until the monday morning on which the semester starts. FFS!

Cheers folks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Have you thought about doing tech support for your neighbours? Really, just put an ad up in the local supermarket saying you can fix PC's or show them how to use the new machines Santa brought them etc. There's bound to be demand - I'm forever being called into fix problems for a friend of a friends cats brother (mostly it's fur in the CD-ROM :D )or whoever because they don't know anybody else who'll do it.

K.

Advertisement