Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Calls on Mobiles

Options
  • 24-12-2003 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭

Quick question ...

What is the cheapest way to make international calls on a mobile phone? Is century 2000 via a 1890 number the best way?

The calls are mainly to the USA.

I have a Meteor and an o2 sim.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

1890 number will cost you the same as a National Call - i.e. PER MINUTE!
    It is 1850 that are fixed cost(30c/call on Mobile afaik)-though, most companies like Century 2000 and the like, restrict their 1850 service to only calls from landlines.

Meteor - USA is 45c/min at all times.

So, Check what the cost per minute from the call card is and add that per minute to the national rate on your tariff with O2/Meteor and if the total is less than 45c/min then use the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

i use a talkshop account card, and they charge extra per-minute when you call their 1800 number from a mobile phone. (well they did last time i tried it, i have a landline so i haven't tried it for a while.) though depending on the call cost of your mobile plan the surcharge can still end up cheaper than dialling their 1850 access number and getting charged local call rates by the mobile operator.

o2 are offering 30c/min to the us (+ others) from christmas eve to new year's day. check the t&cs first though!

it's loads cheaper to call via a calling card from a landline, but i guess you haven't got access to one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭Faltermyer

Originally posted by crowbar
    ithough depending on the call cost of your mobile plan the surcharge can still end up cheaper than dialling their 1850 access number and getting charged local call rates by the mobile operator.
    1850 is a FIXED cost call! 30c per call from all mobiles afaik.
    It is 1890 that is charged per minute - 1890s advantage is for when calling from a landline where you have local&national calls unlike mobiles where there are simply national calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

sorry, that was silly. was thinking 1890 and typed 1850 instead ...

Advertisement